This is what the Radeon RX 6000 looks like

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2020.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    The disruption begins in 13 hours.

Deleted member 213629 and itpro like this.
  2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    That's just sad man...sigh...

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    November-December we will feel the wrath of "red rebellion". I will see a lot of green blood splattered.

DannyD likes this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    We have no idea how a much larger CU count will affect the frequency of the GPU overall. Twice as many CUs with 30% lower clock wouldn't be double the performance in any stretch of the imagination...just as an example.

I'm all for AMD stepping up the game, but i feel you have overhyped yourself. Best thing AMD can do is be affordable, i don't see them besting nvidia overall performance wise or efficiency wise.

Yes, i do hope i'm wrong.

But considering the fact that the leaked photos with the two fan design shows, by reference, the supposed lower end RX 6000 series will require 2 8 pins, and RTX 3070 requires 1 8 pin by reference, i really and truly do not have any hope that AMDs RDNA 2 will be power efficient, or be able to top nvidia.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    itpro and Deleted member 213629 like this.

5. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I have to say; that's a great looking design! Thanks for posting this one Hilbert.

6. I have my doubts as well. RTG always seems like the red haired step sister in the company.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    ???
    Crossfire don't use connectors since many year (and gen)...
    Also AMD (as NVidia btw) let multiple GPU for main consumer dying... as useless in most scenario (for pro it's another story ;) )

AMD do and sell own GPU card and CPU directly, also the entry level ( you know those that we never buy :) ) that you found in shop are also coming from AMD directely.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    No no they don’t...Sapphire does...have for decades.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Their Radeon Pro lineup, and reference cards they both manufacture and have board partners do the same design for reference.

10. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I refuse to touch triple fan cards.
    Its LC or Blower for me.
    Looks like another mod on the cards that is frankly fun to do.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    They have no manufacturing capability...

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    We actually do know. 1.9Ghz for the 52CU (54CU with 2 chopped) RDNA2 APU found in the Xbox X Series.
    We also know that the N7P process these are made, can hit over 2.3Ghz stable (PS5)

And these are restricted due to power/heat inside the consoles.

A 5700XT can hit 2025Mhz stable at 100% load when watercooled and downvolted. Otherwise it operates around 1875 even with the reference blower.

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Both those coolers will both be negatively affected by a side panel fan mounted directly in front of them. They are also pretty much identical to the Radeon card linked in the video here, although the nVidia cooler is even more restricted in its air-exhaust from the top of the card than the Radeon render.

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yeah - mounting a side fan below the GPU's cooler is a great idea. But it does require a tall case to allow for that much clearance below. Older cases or just plain bigger newer ones do allow, but the modern trend is generally towards compact cases, and there's little room for a fan there to be truly beneficial.

I never said side panel fans are not useful, just that they're not practical in modern case designs - window or no window.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, we don't know based off of that, how anything above 52/54 CUs will have to be set, frequency wise, plus xbox series x, is a custom RDNA2 architecture, and almost certainly will not be an apples to apples comparison even if a GPU also had the same amount of CUs with the same frequency.

Everything you just listed is information we don't know how it will affect anything, PS5 and xbox series x have different RDNA architectures, and even if they were exactly the same, tells nothing about a the max frequency a larger CU GPU card would be set at, frequency wise.

It'd be like stating we know how high a frequency a 10900k can hit, therefore, a 60 core processor build on the same architecture must be able to hit those same frequencies..........not how it works at all.

To make it extremely clear: We do NOT know what the largest CU RDNA2 card will be able to run at, frequency wise, and therefore, we can not determine, other then hypotheticals, what the overall performance of AMDs top end card will be.

If all things were linear and equal then sure that'd be great, but it's not. The more CUs, the lower the frequency, and it's the balance of more CUs to less frequency that determines how large a GPU can realistically even be, because if adding more CUs and lowering the frequency ends up being the same performance, it's a moot point.

INSTG8R likes this.

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Yes consoles are custom APUs but RDNA2 on Xbox and PS5 is the same on the PC. No change of the architecture at core. Same applies to Zen 2 CPUs found on both the consoles and the PC.

Long gone the days of 3 different architectures between Xbox, PS and PC. All now are one and the same and even using the same API between Xbox and PC now. No need to do any porting work.
    Even MS is using W10 light for the Xbox and same executables will be used.
    Only how components talk to each other is different and subsystems.

Also is the process they are all made, N7P is the same and affects the actual physical die and it's transistors.

What is the restriction between Xbox, PS5 and PC components is thermals. On PC the cooler presented on this article is bigger than what ever coolers PS5 and Xbox have. Which means the die can be bigger and less frugal at it's power consumption.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wrong

RDNA2 implies full stack DX12_2 support capability

the PS5 has no mesh shaders which are a requirement for 12_2
    • the geometry and primitive shaders in the ps5 are mark cerny's own custom patent

18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Correct. Xbox series x has big Navi inside nvidia says.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Front to back wrong? Better call IBM, HP etc. and tell them they can't build servers.

alanm likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    False equivalence.

blade servers are flat front to back wind tunnels with high pressure fans.

PC cases aren't.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.