This is what the Radeon RX 6000 looks like

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2020.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Not sure what you mean. I haven't had a side panel fan installed in for ever - even before I replaced my old case for a more compact one that eschews side panel fan mounts. There's pretty close to 0 coolers that benefit from it now, with a side mounted fan in front actively working against exhausting heat from inside the cooler.

Unless of course you have a very tall case where there's room for a fan below your GPU cooler's fans, or an extremely wide one with a vertically mounted GPU that you can then push fresh air in to.

My 3 front mounted 120mm fans with top and rear fans for exhaust makes more sense than blowing air in to the side of the cooler of my GPU, against the fans on it.

Fediuld likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    front to back air flow is a nonsense discredited and flawed idea anyway, people seem to have forgotten there are chips on the mainboard that get warm and will eventually be the first to stress crack under diminished one direction air flow.

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I'd love for you to post some proof of that statement :)

INSTG8R, waltc3 and alanm like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Side-Panel-Fans-Are-They-Worth-It-102/

Heat and cool cycles kill electronics, minimizing the range of heating prolongs the components.

The lack of side panel fans is why x570 uses an active cooler. single direction flow is incapable of adequately cooling chips with low profile heatsinks on them.

also with all the aio's / custom radiators getting misplaced in the front intake, many cases are being heated up anyway with no real way to get cool air in without dust trap bottom chassis fans in use.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I'm not ignoring it, Buildzoid explains this in the video.

how many cases these days have a side intake fan?

EDIT:
    Couldn't you have a side fan as an outtake instead?

6. Hefny

Hefny Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G
    Radeon RX 6000 by Zotac!

Fediuld likes this.
  7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Apart from that article being 10 years old, then it uses blower style coolers which directly benefit from side mounted fans.

I said "most coolers don't benefit" because if you mount a side panel fan near a modern 2-3 slot cooler, you will be pushing back against its cooling fans - unless, like I mentioned, you have a very tall case and are able to place a fan below your GPU's intake fans.

Heating cycles might kill electronics, but your home PC would never get so hot as to meaningfully reduce its lifespan unless you are actively trying to break it. Even if you ran it in a case without any real cooling. Or put your radiator in front and push hot air in to your PC. It's just not enough to do anything meaningful.

8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Very few cases do, because they don't make any sense when coupled with modern GPU coolers.

You could have a side fan as an exhaust, and that could probably help alleviate some of the heat dumped out from a modern GPU cooler, but you might get a strange airflow in your case from doing so. Would be fun to test if it'd do anything meaningful.

Of course, then you'd not get any of the motherboard-chip-cracking preventing cooling that we so desperately need.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yes, sucking the cool air away from the mainboard components is a brilliant idea just because it gets some of the hot air away too.
    why didn't i think of that /s

modern cases are factored around vain nobodies wanting to show crap off with as minimalistic amount of drives as possible, I build PC's not neon light shows, thus, the restricted and little airflow that an undercooled chip on the mainboard would obtain evenless from a front intake.

as for other radial coolers, if you look most of these have a fully open top and bottom edge with no nameplate obstructing air flow across the height of the fins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    ...and I don't use a sidepanel at all :p

AlmondMan, carnivore, ACEB and 2 others like this.

11. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    I think it looks nice, just hope the performance is great.
    Does not matter if you are team green or red (or even blue when/if they get around) when it comes to GPU
    because all will benefit from good competition^^

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You could also hook up the side case fan as outake, but wire it to the GPU fan header. That way the fan only increases speed when the GPU temp rises. So when the GPU is idle the fan either doesn't spin at all, or spins super low rpm not really effecting the cases normal front to back/top airflow.

Here is a pic of the side of the Radeon 6000 GPU

Capture.PNG
    It doesn't block as much as you think, it looks like its an angled nameplate and not a flat one like on the Radeon VII which has a terrible cooler.

AlmondMan likes this.
  13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Actuallty looks similar to the Radeon VII but more "aftermarket design".

Radeon VII, FuryX Liquid and Vega 64 Liquid

14. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    AMD doesn't use CF connectors since 2013, it goes through the PCIe. Where do you live all those years?

CPC_RedDawn and PrMinisterGR like this.
  15. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    5700XT blower was quiet, only thing audible was the air not the fan.
    Anyone says otherwise is downright liar except if he put the fan manually at 100%. (it never goes ofer 45%)

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    AMD DOES make their own PCBs and cards and are far superior to the AIB ones.
    And also builds their reference cards like tanks using very expensive materials like tantalum for capacitors etc instead of aluminium.

Vega 64 reference and 5700XT AE have been some amazingly well build graphic cards.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have a case with 3 x 200mm fans (front + side intakes, top exhaust + 120mm rear exh). The side intake wasnt as effective as I'd like in helping GPU temps. But replaced it with high airflow Corsair ML 140mm fan positioned just under the GPU and it made a world of difference. The front intake is also very important but if theres too much clutter in its way, it can get hampered. Also replaced the front 200mm with a smaller Corsair ML140 and removed all the clutter in its way and that made a nice difference too. These 2 fans brought down my GPU temps by about 7-8 degrees and mobo, CPU temps a few degrees lower too.

AlmondMan likes this.
  18. s1DDy

s1DDy Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti
    gonna miss the blower style cards....

Fediuld likes this.
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well you can just turn on your vacuum cleaner if you miss them too much :D.

20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Looks similar to the old dual-GPU AMD Radeon HD 7990 I had back in 2013... you don't know what power draw is until you have one of those in an old PC - thing could take 500W alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fediuld likes this.