Rumor: Radeon RX 6000 Series as fast as a standard RTX 2080 Ti?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Amd have been a good bet for consoles for awhile. I wonder if that's one of the reasons for Nvidia to grab up ARM. Might help out them into that gaming market beyond the switch.

Which considering the switch sales has done them quite well. Intel don't have the GPU horsepower of and
    Honestly i'm planning on getting a 3090, and using it either on my 165hz 1440p or 4k 120 depending on what i'm playing. Mostly be used on 1440p monitor mind you, still think its the best resolution for 27 inches, waiting to see if we start getting some 240hz monitor over the next few years to really make use of this GPU

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    3090 for 4K60 here, but i do intend to play and stream at the same time.
    With raytracing and everything maxed out hopefully.

3. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I would be impressed by AMD if they hit 2080ti performance, I do not see them hitting 3800-3900 performance, unless they can pull of a crazy Zen moment in the GPU department.
    As always everything depends on the store sell price, Nvidia can write any price they want to, but as shown many times before everything depends on supply and demand.
    If AMD can keep the price down for the same amount of performance, they will have customers.

Personally: 2080ti speeds would be a nice upgrade for me instead of my vega 64, but to make sense i would need a new monitor (1920x1200) and CPU (1700) to even see a large enough difference, to make the upgrade worth it.
    Just like me, there are a lot of people out there that would be happy about 2080ti speeds for hopefully less money then now.

Maddness likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol no.

PrMinisterGR likes this.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Reading comments, it seems that a lot of people haven't read this, or didn't take it into consideration...

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It would be nice to see them hit 2080ti performance @ $300; in their mid-range 6000-series offering...;)

Maddness likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    16GB 2080Ti performance would be good to me. Especially if cheaper and available vs. the 3070.

8. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    At the price x performance AMD is good and now with RDNA2 will be better.
    To me Nvidia oponed a way to AMD work out. AMD must put into the market a card between 3080 and 3090 under USD 1.000. This would be fantastic.... at first... AMD will enter the batlle at high end GPUs and at least will have a card that is more fast then the mainstream Nvidia product... will be two hobbits with one shot...
    Come on AMD... give us competition again.... its time to redirect some money of Ryzen to Radeon departament...

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That would be too good to be true...

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    From what this person told you, everything is already publicly known information, and some was just wrong.
    Nvidia did try to get console designs, but they were too expensive.
    The first Navi generation was not good products. They're already obsolete, feature-wise, and they should have been priced as Polaris replacements. The size of the silicon and the process indicates that's exactly what they were.
    Instead, we got the "jebaited" bullshit that made my eyes want to roll a full 360, and the 7nm Polaris pipe cleaner with terrible drivers for the wonderful price of $400.

AMD is as horrible as Nvidia, and on the GPU side they don't even have the compute/feature advantage they used to have.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I miss the old days, when ATI was competitive.
    Especially with drivers ATI was rightly superior.
    I won't talk 20 years ago, just a decade is enough.
    GTX 295, 590, 690 were beaten by HD 5970, 6990, 7990.
    GTX 285, 580, 680 were beaten by HD 5870, 6970, 7970.
    GTX 280, 570, 670 were beaten by HD 5850, 6950, 7950.

PrMinisterGR and Valken like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    R9 290x and R9 Fury would destroy gtx 780and 980. Only 980ti wins over Fury X due larger buffer size. Vega56/64 beats 1070/1080 only 1080ti was faster than both.

itpro and PrMinisterGR like this.
  13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am wondering did someone collect all the previous GPU RUMORs vs reality into a web page so we can guess how far Nvidia and AMD will really perform?

I think all the previous AMD rumors always ended up with AMD behind Nvidia by about 1 step due to the Ti GPUs, after the 290x series.

I am talking about at launch. I know AMD fine wine has headroom but it takes like 6 months plus to get it up to speed.

If this is a 400 USD GPU, it would be a win for the mass but a disappointment for those of us looking for a real RT GPU @ 60 FPS.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This can NOT be Big Navi if it's real. It would take some atrocious drivers and problems in general for Big Navi to only match a 2080 Ti. If this is at all real, it's medium Navi.

Big Navi:
    - 2x the CUs of the 5700XT (which was pretty much 1080 Ti/2080 performance depending on the game).
    - More performance per CU than last gen.
    - Insane 128MB L3 cache.
    - Faster clocks than 5700XT.
    - 16GB GDDR6 variant at the least.

That does not add up to only 2080 Ti performance. Over 2x a 5700XT =/= 2080 Ti. Like I said before, if the Big Chungus Navi flops, I'll be the most disappointed I've ever been about a product.

Evildead666, PrMinisterGR and Valken like this.
  15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dont know about the finewine thing, sure the tensor cores are useful, but its not very efficient use of die space, particularly for consumer products, you really need to use cuda to take proper advantage of them, by contrast, Its will be interesting to see how amd's raytracing implementation scales down.
    its likely native support could come later for the lg c9 on HDMI 2.1 enabled gpus since VRR is part of the standard. (GSYNC support is achieved on the rtx 20 cards via spoofing/partial hdmi 2.1 support as far as i can gather, and is limited to 40-60hz @4k on those cards) the original gsync module implementation seems to be mostly dead, so any tv or monitor that supports gsync via displayport adaptive refresh or hdmi vrr, should be compatible with freesync even if its not advertised.

16. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I will just say this: I'm planning to upgrade in early 2021, but I'm holding my horses until I see both the AMD offering and the Nvidia Super/ti versions. And if AMD support crossfire on their big card, blowing the 3080 away in crossfire at significantly lower cost than a 3090, then Nvidia has lost a customer.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    AMD has killed off Crossfire. It doesn't exist except in older cards and older drivers. New drivers have no support.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The reason Microsoft and Sony are working with AMD so much for their consoles, is because they DON'T want to work with Nvidia again.
    It's got nothing to do with "customization", that's just the icing on the cake (and eating it).

On Topic : Looking forward to replacing my vega with something new this Year.
    I hope they have a couple of liquid cooled models at launch...

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Likely they got same rumor as we did. AMD's Ryzen C7 with RDNA2 cellphone/tablet chip.

itpro likes this.
  20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I really want a phone with ryzen c7 rdna2 capabilities. Even if it would cost an arm and a leg, it should be a huge leap ahead current snapdragons. They became far too common nowadays. Enough.

Fox2232 likes this.