Microsoft Game Pass subscription for PC rises from 4 to 10 euros per month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Please provide a link with an official Valve statement about this, and not a forum post where someone "was told by customer service that `of course Valve will allow this`".

Please read this URL out loud.
    https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

[​IMG]
    I know, hard to imagine, right?

Valve, the saviour of PC gaming, lel.

Steam is a subscription with a different payment model.

You. Still. Own. Nothing.

Valve bans accounts and you lose your "purchased" games.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/322591/Valve_bans_over_90000_Steam_accounts_in_one_week.php

Goiur likes this.
  3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    while this is true, if you expected them to keep giving out a sub for a dollar you'd have to be really bad with money. M$ wears their intentions on their sleeves.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  4. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    in uk i get charged 10.99 a month for game pass

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

Loobyluggs and MerolaC like this.
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You understand this means nothing right? And there are account bans, and Steam is a subscription service. Because it's Valve and it's a piece of software (not even a good one, to be honest), that you're all familiar with, it doesn't mean it's not a subscription service from a corp that is privately held.

If you want to keep your games get them from GOG.

itpro likes this.
  8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only reason you can still do, is because they don't want to lose face publicly. You have zero rights on "your" games according to their subscriber EULA.

itpro likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    to get an account ban on steam, you need to be particpating in fraud.

MerolaC likes this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    All this is just highlighting how nicely Valve holds mindshare in the PC community.

If you want to see your "rights" over "your" software, read the subscriber EULA. In short, you have none. You don't purchase games, you purchase a subscription to play said game, lasting as long as Valve sees fit.

They have different marketing optics, but in their substance it's the same thing as the GamePass with a different subscription model. Valve's gives you more choice, but it's more expensive and that's it.

itpro likes this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    @PrMinisterGR You talk the truth. It's brutal but all this era of information, we don't really own anything. Decades now. Digital explosion lead us to only pay and own nothing, because others take care of the rest. Reality is just extra info and hidden rules blended with tiny letters and profound words.

But it is not only software and information systems.

Also, new devices are under some kind of subscription due to automated data centers. Manufacturers don't really acknowledge you if you don't register your S/N and isn't found in their database for any reason. You only hold the receipt and you pray that they'll accept to fix your device in the future.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yep, if Valve closes down , you loose the license (which is to play on the Steam platform only). You may get new keys from publishers if they show pity since current one do not work (unless there is some sort of import function, like gog and ubisoft have shown in the past).
    Some games do not have a digital CD key though , so its gonna be a mess.

Nothing last forever, just enjoy it while it lasts.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes, with a crack. Most of these games have extra protection on top of Steam anyway. Steam doesn't allow you to play infinitely offline anyway, and you admitting that you would have to go around Stream itself to do it, really displays the moronic core of this argument.

An argument that shouldn't exist the moment you read the first line of the Steam EULA. Pathetic fanboyism.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What a pointless argument, if you want to "own" the game then buy it digitally on somewhere like Steam, if like me you have no interest in hoarding digitally or otherwise then save money and pay for a streaming service.

Not everyone will save money, but me and my boy have saved hundreds since we started using these services.
    The other benefit i wasn't expecting is that I'm playing games i didn't expect to to like and would never have bought previously.

Not been keeping up recently so EA play is news to me, to the point I didn't even know it had been renamed but seems like a nice addition.

INSTG8R likes this.
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No one is pretending anyone owns anything with a streaming service though, everyone knows it's a Netflix style service.

It's not for everyone, especially if you are into building collections, but personally I'm not interested in wasting a lot of money to "own" games that I have no interest in ever playing again once I finish them.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Talking about moving goal posts:

"Indefinite" := never restart the computer, never use the internet

Lol

So, any comment on the actual Steam SUBSCRIBER agreement? For the games you "own"?

And since you call me child, it's very interesting to remember that Steam was a cancer that anyone wanting to play Half-Life 2 had to install. When Valve wanted to push it they didn't give a crap of what anyone thought or wanted, but I guess you were not around then either.

So, not THE END. Arguing that Steam is not a subscription because you don't pay per month, but per title, it's like saying economics is about money.

It only sounds correct until the moment your brain is supposed to fire up.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Valve says it is in the title of their EULA.

Saying THE END doesn't mean you've closed an argument, nor that your opinion has any weight on actual reality.

18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    And this is why I don't do subscriptions , people need to open the eyes .

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is literally how Steam works. Once they are down, you can never reinstall or move anything, it's over. Your only "grace" period is until you need to restart your computer.

Steam is a subscription model. You subscribe to having access to the games you have given them money to allow you to access. The fee is one-off per title, instead of per month, but it is still a subscription. That is why Valve's lawyers call their service a subscription service.

Yeah man, Valve's lawyers don't know either. I guess we and them are all dipshits. Thank you for opening our eyes.

Talking about dipshits:
    https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
    [​IMG]

You pay a monthly fee to access all games in the subscription service.

You pay a one time fee to access the games you have selected from the catalogue.

Man, being an idiot is not a choice, unfortunately. You asked me to direct you to the place where Valve says that Steam is a subscription service, I have done this more than twice. If Valve themselves cannot convince you, you have an issue.
    Like the issue where you cannot see that there are various ways you can have a subscription service. You still don't own crap. Microsoft chose the smaller catalogue/montly fee, Valve chose the immense catalogue/pay per item. They are still subscription services. The Microsoft service requires a montly payment, the Valve one a per item. You still don't own anything.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    XP-200 and PrMinisterGR like this.