Microsoft Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Pricing and Availability Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2020.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Link for that? I bet that games that will end up running at 1440p on the Series X, will end up under 1080p in this guy.

itpro likes this.
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    At what resolution? At what settings? Are there dips, has the whole game been tested? Is dynamic resolution in play?

Not to forget but majority of consoles are played on standard TV's running at 60Hz and have no option to go higher other than some gimmicky frame interpolation method. So 120fps is all fine and dandy but 90% (if not more) people out there won't even care, or even know they are locked at 60fps on a 60hz tv or is Microsoft gonna open it up and let the game start tearing?

I can see monitor manufacturers rubbing their hands together to come out with some cheapo 120hz tvs with all Xbox certified stickers all over them.

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    There will be exactly (-not almost) zero differences in developing for Xbox Series. Resolution and hz, will be hard-locked from firmware, settings and whether a game will be optimized for series x, or not.

If it isn't optimized for series X, it will be play exactly same resolution and fps in both Series S/X like S. S is the base console this time around, like xbox one was the base one when one X came out.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It will, games already running on current hardware like the ps4pro and ps4 show the ps4pro having much better fps in multiplayer games than the base machine. Same goes for the Xbox. Digital Foundry did a video on this a while ago showing Uncharted running at near 60fps muliplayer on PS4pro but the base PS4 was dropping below 30fps (if i remember correctly). It showed a huge advantage, the thing is the same thing has been happening on PC for years given the different hardware setups but at least on PC the player can actually do something about like turning off settings, changing configs, etc. On console its either be satisfied or buy a new console.

This is because its yet another machine keeping the progression down, they are getting a huge increase with the series X and the ps5 and now they have to try and keep within the constraints of the series S as well. This was a clever idea by microsoft but all its meant to do is steal marketshare from Sony but inadvertently they are also holding back the industry yet again with its much much weaker GPU.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I was going to grab the SX but now that i have seen the specs i might just grab the S and also a RTX 3070, that would the sweet spot for me.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This would make sense, but do we have a source?

7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I don't think that'll be the case. They should be able to use the same detail settings on both, just one will render at a higher resolution than the other. Maybe use lesser textures on the Series S, but the download of such should be handled by Xbox Smart Delivery anyway.
    That said, they should just start giving console users the same configuration options in games as we're used to on PC so everyone could set their settings to either a preset or tweak their settings the way they like and their system can handle.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    We do not need a source. Code is not the same for xbox one and xbox series. Xbox one had 3 consoles, xbox one, xbox one s and xbox one x. Xbox series have 2 consoles, series s and series x.

Games are always build for the original from source and optimized for the more powerful to win time and spend less life force for endless coding.

Both consoles are topping at 120hz, only difference is resolution, which is officially hard-locked from firmware due to gpu.

It is already stated if a game runs 1080p 120hz at series s will run the same in series x. If it runs 1440p60, the same for both consoles. Only the xbox series x badge gives the advantageous tech edge.

There aren't any tricks that will change coding. Only h/w capabilities. Like xbox one x had enforced 16x AF, series X will have forced stronger ray tracing, tessellation, or whatever "gpu" based features like superior upscaling.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The resolution part makes no sense. Everything will run at a higher resolution when using the Series X.

10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    That never happened with Xbox one X and I own hundreds of games. What does make you believe it shall happen now for the first time, really, tell me. :rolleyes:

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    @itpro Didn't this happen with almost every single one Xbox One X game? They always ran at higher resolutions, same for the PS4 Pro.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, it did - I have no idea what he's talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_enhanced_games#:~:text=Games described as being 4K,higher resolution than 1080p HD.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only if the games were optimized and had a patch to use the specs of the One X. Games did run better at least though regardless.

itpro likes this.
  14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Only if its an xbox one game released after xbox one x release. And difference is minimal. Xbox original and Xbox 360 were exactly as the old consoles. It is annoying to my eyes those games. Do not believe it is so important. Check for example gta v, xbox one x vs xbox one.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If both Xbox Series S and X are releasing at the same time.. then wouldn't it apply to all games being released for both consoles?

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the crux of your argument is that they aren't going to scale resolutions between the new consoles because prior gens didn't automatically upscale old games on it? How is that remotely the same thing?

PrMinisterGR likes this.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    itpro likes this.
  17. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    £450 for an Xbox Series X vs. the £430 I spent barely 2 years ago for my Xbox One X is seriously good value. It almost makes me feel like I overpaid for my Xbox One X given I saw it drop to like £300 barely a year later...

PrMinisterGR and itpro like this.
  18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Anyone remember the days when console makers released a single this is the next gen console and that's it?

When I bought my Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn (yeah I was the guy who bought one) PS1, ,Dreamcast (well not me but my sister bought that) PS2, PS3, and PS4 you know how many consoles I had to choose from to move from what I had to the next gen? 1, that's it.

itpro likes this.
  19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't call that minimal. When you're going for 30fps, anything under that you easily notice a lot more than you would notice say 60 fps vs 55 fps. GTAV as far as I know never had any patch to upscale or give better details on the One X. It does definitely use the resources the One X has.

itpro likes this.
  20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Sure it has differences. But most non enhanced games, for example I bought dragon age series and all are extremely bad. Even a PC with weaker hardware than xbox one x show them extremely better.

That was my argument in the first place. Console does not magically convert the quality of the game. Improvements are there but not earth-shaking.