GeForce RTX 30 series - Gaming Videos with RTX ON

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 3, 2020.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nothing you said negates the simple past experience of needing a high end GPU with equal memory to the consoles.
    Would you buy a high end GPU with under 8GB of VRAM in the PS4 era? The answer should be no.

Therefore you shouldn't get a high end GPU with under at least 16GB in the PS5 era.

Yes, we know that the consoles don't use all of it for VRAM, but you expect to play at better than console settings and even simple things like shadows or more complicated things like ray tracing require more VRAM, if ran at higher settings.

It's not so complicated you guys.

I bet that the 10GB 3080 will be OK for the first year or so.

2. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    It will all depend on how a game port from PS will be done, but i think that you will maybe need a powerull CPU, more RAM and a fast SSD, that a more powerfull GPU that 3800 will be.Still we will have to wait and see.
    @PrMinisterGR
    It depends how you want to play the game at same quality as consoles or at better.
    Still Nvidia is thinking about the majority of PC players that still don't play at resolution over 1080p so why the big fuss (unde 30% at best play at resolution over 1080p).

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You state this but you're basing off of one generation of consoles and a placebo affect realistically speaking.

Xbox 360 has 512mb of ram, something GPUs had at the time, and went far beyond not long after it was released.

GPU ram requirements do not follow console releases.

Pinstripe likes this.
  4. nicugoalkeper

GPU:
    Not to mention that consoles are coming closer and closer to PC's, not pulling away from then.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    FWIW:

https://twitter.com/billykhan/status/1301126502801641473

Lead engine programmer at id software.

PrMinisterGR, HandR and Embra like this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Those consoles didn't have a PC architecture. These ones and the next ones do, and the correlation is clear unless you just believe whatever Nvidia marketing says.

Yes it will be fine for the first couple of years, but I don't intend to give more to Nvidia per year than I do a private insurance company.
    Also:

Nvidia: "Let me prove that 10GB is more than enough by running games designed for 8GB consoles"

Customer: "Clearly no more than 9GB is required, gimme a 3080”

New consoles have 16GB

Guys from id saying get the most you can

Everyone ignores everything

Customer in 2021: surprised Picachu

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's literally the dumbest advice i've ever heard.

Alright boys! Lets go get a Radeon VII with 16GB of VRAM over a 3070 with half that! Lets not care about performance...lets care about ram!

History has proven time and time again to be correct to your "nay sayers" as you put them. Won't be proven wrong here either.

Pinstripe, Fox2232 and angelgraves13 like this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Radeon VII is not an active product. Kind of a weird takeaway from what he's saying tbh. Seems pretty obvious that if you essentially get a RDNA2 3070/3080 competitor that has more VRAM you may want to consider taking it for future proofing reasons.

Personally I see the 3080 similar to the 680.. yeah it has less VRAM but I'll probably replace it before it matters.

Valken, fantaskarsef and PrMinisterGR like this.
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Doesn't matter if it's an active product because it's the point of the matter: Don't worry about vram, worry about performance. Literally that's all.

And just because he's a "lead engine programmer" really doesn't mean squat since he doesn't produce or develop GPUs. He knows that he CAN utilize more vram, he doesn't know how the GPU will handle not having "enough" vram vs a competing product that does have enough vram. Hence the fact that i went with the Radeon VII, because his statement is so blanketed that he's stating you should only purchase base off of the max money you can spend on vram.

I'll trust nvidia, the ones making the products, far before i trust a programmer, simply because they know they "can" produce something that would saturate a specific amount of ram.

I mean cmon if you don't like the Radeon VII scenario then lets go with 2080 ti vs 3080, we don't have benchmarks fully yet, but if nvidias claims even remotely are true, i don't see the 2080 ti with its larger amount of memory benefiting it so much that it performs better then a 3080, in any scenario. Yet this "lead programmer" is stating: Get the 2080 ti if you can afford it, it has more memory.

Pinstripe and Fox2232 like this.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is a false premise.

All other things being equal, VRAM matters.

I don't understand all this passion, and the absolute blindness to facts that have been like this since the x86 console generation.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeah man, it's the same for the 8GB consoles but you wouldn't buy a 5GB RTX 2080Ti.

13. nicugoalkeper

GPU:
    You have the answer, but you don't take in the account the RAM of the system, you are only speaking of VRAM.
    Consoles have 16GB RAM, right, but is shared (so not only VRAM), but PC not only have VRAM but also RAM.
    So you are telling us that a PC whit at least 8 cores and 16 threads and 16 GB RAM and 10 GB VRAM (3800) and a fast SSD can't compare to a console !?
    To me it does, also consoles will not get HW upgrades for at least 2-3 year, but you can add RAM, change CPU and SSD, and still keep the 3800, so to me 3800 make a lot of senseat 10GB, yes we always want more at specs. so the money we pay makes more sense, but still...

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It does until it doesn't, and people making their purchasing decisions based off of advice like this:

"When buying a new video card for your pc, always buy the card with the highest amount of video memory (VRAM) within your allotted budget."

Rather then: Get what GPU performs best for you at your budget.

Is pure nonsense.

I'd gladly buy a RTX 2080 ti with 5GB of ram over an RX 580 with 8GB of ram.

Heck i'll buy it over a Radeon VII with 16GB of ram.

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No 2 GPUs series are equal. Even when AMD released GCN revision with same number of CU/TMU/ROPs... (It is called revision.)

And there is no correlation, nor causality from console memory amount to PC VRAM requirements. And definitely not in 1:1 ratio as you present it.

Fact that you can still play games on HD7970 should have teach you something... after 8 and half years.

nicugoalkeper likes this.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Man you're all experts at missing the point.

All this theorising, Jesus.

Nvidia showed that AAA games of the 8GB console gen require >8GB of VRAM.

GUESS WHAT THE AAA GAMES OF THE 16GB GENERATION WILL REQUIRE. IT'S SO COMPLICATED I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

:p

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Valken likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people are forgetting the VRAM is also the ram the console cpu usages.

Fox2232 and Aura89 like this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not sure why you keep trying to state this. 6GB cards do just fine. RX 580 cards with 4GB and 8GB rarely show a difference. And when they do, they are running on settings the consoles you keep flagging, aren't.

Run at the console settings: Poof, your whole idea goes out the window.

Want to talk about 6GB nvidia current cards against 8GB nvidia current cards? Again, the difference you are going to be seeing is the GPU performance difference. Nearly ever time with very minor situations where it isn't.

You claim everyone else are "experts at missing the point" yet you keep..not understanding..the point....

PS4 and Xbox one, with their 8GB of total system memory, came out in 2013. It took GPUs 3 years (at least on nvidias since, haven't really checked AMDs) to start having 8GB of memory on them, aside from the titans. The titans, like the GeForce GTX TITAN X with 12GB of ram, was not a good investment for the future, as the 10 series came out with less ram, and beat it. The RTX 2060 with 6GB, still beats it, 4K resolution and all.

So what makes this console release any different? Literally at all? Your theory isn't proven to be correct on the ps4 and xbox one and it by far wasn't correct with the PS3 and xbox 360 as they had so little memory in them in the first, in fact, if you compare it to those consoles, it implies that we don't need 16GB cards this time around, the the RTX 3090 with 24GB of ram is what we should be trying to have as a normal. But you're ignoring this and fully going on the xbox one and ps4 as if they are special. They aren't. And GPUs over the years have proven then. Just because we HAVE GPUs with similar amount of VRAM compared to the PS4/XBone Total System Memory doesn't mean they NEED to have that much memory to run those games at console level settings, let alone max graphics, except for limited scenarios on limited games and even then, it's realistically very difficult to state, because you can't compare, say, an RTX 2080 with 8GB ram vs an RTX 2080 with 6GB of ram, and see if that extra 2GB of ram even matters.

At this point i really do hope nvidia is going to release these GPUs with double the memory and no other difference just to prove these simple facts.

Stop paying attention to the VRAM, pay attention to the PERFORMANCE.

Pinstripe likes this.
  19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    In trying to answer this very complicated question, Nvidia demoed various current AAA titles (made for the 8GB consoles), only needing up to 9-10GB of VRAM.

In trying to show that 10GB is ok, they literally showed that to play AAA games of the 8GB generation, you need VRAM that is equal or more of the current console gen.

They basically made my point.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is the case for this gen also. So people shouldn't whine about the prospect of a 5GB 2080Ti.

The moment you make this analogy you can see how ridiculous the 10GB and 8GB are on these cards.

Let's not forget they'll also work as I/O controllers and that ray tracing (which they can do more of), also requires VRAM heavily.