NVIDIA Marbles at Night tech demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA showcased this very impressive raytraced demo during its presentation last week.  Marbles at Night. This tech demo was running on a single RTX3090 at 1440p and with 30fps. And, as you will se...

NVIDIA Marbles at Night tech demo

Noisiv, Valken and Maddness like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is pretty cool.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Amazing but only 30 FPS @ 1440p? So we still do not have the magical 4K @ 60 FPS single RT GPU yet?

I wonder how SLI 3090 would do?

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The thing is though, it's fully ray traced. No rasterized lighting or shadows. I think its impressive.

angelgraves13, Embra, Aura89 and 4 others like this.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    k I want to play that
    sorta like portal almost but not really

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    It looks like a RT version of Marble Madness which I loved when available in arcade format and with 2 players! This would be awesome family or party game if it came with a user construction set.

7. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Sincerely, my jaw dropped when I watched the video.

Simple gameplay like we used to have 20 years ago, with stunning visuals.

More of those please.

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    everything depends on RT parameters and how much part of the scene is rendered using RT instead of rasterisation. I'm not sure about this demo, but games are using RT for only some parts of the scene now (like reflections, shadows), with the lowest possible ray count, ray path length, and other parameters.

so, we're still very far from "real" ray-tracing graphics - remember, this is literally the second step in that direction

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I hope at least reviewers like Guru3d will have access to it, like the Star Wars Reflection demo back then.

Maddness and PrMinisterGR like this.
  10. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Naah, you know they will add a crafting system for your own marble, add a marble skin system, some rpg elements, an in game money with microtransaction, and I forgot make it open world !

FM57 and PrMinisterGR like this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes - this. I hardly get any big games anymore because they're such a commitment to learn them. Too many obscure controls, too many very specific game mechanics, too many important intricacies. I just want to play a damn game, not spend the next 3 hours learning how to do so.
    IMO, the most fun games are the ones you can pick up in a matter of minutes, and are based almost entirely on skill.

Maddness likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    4 or 5 more generation and maybe RT will be ready and have minimal hit to performance then again it might more generations how many generations did it take for AO to have performance hit in same range as 16x AF? and AF has the same teething years. it is impressive on how it looks, but the fact its 1440p and 30fps on NOT cheap card to boot dont make it impressive from price to performance stand point in my eyes

Maddness likes this.
  13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I get your point, in all seriousness though just about any setting in a game impacts performance. Some of the biggest impacts have been from AA methods, Tesselation, Shadows, HBAO. Ray Tracing is only still a new thing in games. It and Hardware just need time to mature.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they all have performance hits but first few generations they are the worse. and RT has one worse hits to performance seen in long time it like AO to it NICE but is worth hit to performance?
    to me it is not I mean seriously it look amazing the lighting and reflections and everything else done in video, but most they stuff I will never really notice while playing the game but I will notice the fact it running 30 fps.

Example to that is Nioh and Nioh 2 target 60 fps in action mode, on ps4, and it runs amazing and look amazing when it hiting and keeping 60fps but soon as the 60fps drops to to well bellow 40 and in some case well below 30 fps, I see difference feel the difference in game play.

I know for fact from my perspective I wont use RT till 1080p @ 60fps is stable, and soon as switch to 1440monitor or 4k monitor that stuff wont be use to 1440p/4k 60fps cause at that point everything will be ran at either 1400p or 4k and only way I will run 4k is if my monitor has 4k to match my uhdtvm which dont, so it all running 1080p still.

I remember getting some NFS game that came maybe year or 2 after AO was released, and remember turning it on, game went from perfect 1080p 60fps to barely keeping 30 fps, it look nice but it wasnt worth hit.

Come down to preference on if people will to trade FPS for graphics, i know people that will do that kudos to them. but 60 fps is min fps I will really accept on pc, on consoles I no choice but to accept lower, cause there target is 30 fps 99% time

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Trading image quality for FPS is fine. I do it all the time.

Just don't call yourself image quality whore :)