Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2019.

1. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The last time I tried this game vsync was a mess and caused bizarre performance problems. Nothing I did resolved it, setting the game vsync to off and trying various options on the Nvidia control panel didn't help. Performance would crash with vsync on but with it off things were much better. weird.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Still getting the occasional flickering textures that look like VRAM instability, on stock too.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is it on fog or smoke? If so dont worry about it happens to everyone.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I don't remember exactly. I'll try to record it next time.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    all i wanna ask is, since im not playing this game anymore after the crashes i had, does it suffer from the gameplay flaws of other open world games? or is it a one off superb game???

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    You're going to have to be more specific. The game is pretty good but it's not THE open world game of open world games no, not even close.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    its a really good game. Im glad i invested my time in it. 35lvl going into frozen wilds today.

Crashes have been fixed. Make sure your running 1.03v of the game.

eGGroLLiO and ramthegamer like this.
  10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yes it does. Their are more than a few collectathons in the game, some are tedious such as the 'metal flowers' and 'mugs' others a little more interesting 'the vantage points', 'corrupt zones' and 'hunting challenges'. The pace of the game has a few issues, in most open world games you tend to do the side quests not because they are engaging or thrilling but because they give the character resource, experience and the ability to level up. IN ZHD you'll reach the required level caps for the main quest by completing one or two of the side quests and just through hunting and travelling through the map.

Come the last mission I was level 52 and had a dozen or so side missions to do with no desire to do any of them because they were, for the most part, pretty dull. The reason for them being dull is due to the way the game delivers it's story. Unlike most games of this type were you usually get a cut scene prior to mission start or after the mission completion or via in gameplay dialogue and events, massive sections of the key story in this game are delivered through the old bunker locations via scannable VO delivered collectables or holographic play back. These locations are pretty poor, they are usually a single one way corridor disguised as a complex, interesting locations. No hidden secrets (apart from one location), no real puzzle solving, one, perhaps two have small sections of combat but they really are awfully slow paced and not very good. The story sections that deal with the world and it's events as they are now, mostly inter personnel and tribal nonsense are delivered in a more traditional style with a dialogue option wheel that allows players to pick a response, which does not a damn thing. The story unfolds exactly the same, their is no special ending based on your answers, no new info or events, everything happens exactly the same respective of the dialogue options you choose. It feels like something that was meant to have a more involved player outcome that got dropped part way through development and they just left it in.

It also suffers from some really odd holes in the story, a stinger at the end tries to hide what is a pretty horrible flaw in the events that have lead to the world as it is in the game and the last boss is, well it's just a buffed version of another boss which becomes a regular bad guy you fight two or three times throughout the rest of the game.

The story is good, it's gripping but takes a shockingly lazy road for the reasons of the events
    a 'mysterious' signal caused Gaia and it's sub programs to start going off the haywire
    , it's delivered in a hap hazard and horribly paced manner and the side quests add nothing to the overall story so unless you seriously want to over level you're not going to get anything out of them, even special weapons and armour as most players will have access to the entire weapon and armour load out from about 1/3 of the way through the game bar, one very special game breaking armour and a few 'special items' associated with the more tedious collectable missions. The biggest saving grace is the machine combat, the range of bad guys and the range of weapons allows the player to pick and choose how they approach combat.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Amaze likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Look what i just got. Shame you got it an near end of the game.

[​IMG]

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Don’t worry, you’ll need it for the Frozen Wilds, quite a difficultly bump in that area of the game.

Undying likes this.
  13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Another update has been released.

Source: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/rea...te-edition-for-pc-patch-1-04-is-now-available

Amaze and JonasBeckman like this.
  14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Eh, it's good that they are fixing things. But performance is still pretty poor a month after launch.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    This is probably the worst I have seen it so far. Just watch the left side of the screen.

18. sephking

sephking Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    New update has definitely helped with perfomance for me. Can now run the game on Ultra preset / 3440 x 1440 on my 8700k/2080 super PC at 60 to 90fps

angelgraves13 and Undying like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I've seen some flashing textures report on older nvidia cards, mostly kepler and maxwell arch but it seems effected the pascal too. Its not artifacting but a driver issue.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not a driver issue, its the game.

angelgraves13 likes this.