Hot fix driver 452.22

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PurSpyk!!, Sep 4, 2020.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I installed cod warzone royale yesterday and I didnt see any real stutters as of yet. Maybe tiny jitter here and there, but that looked more like net jitter typical for cod games.

Mind you this is just on 4thread cpu and 6gb vram, maxed incl shadow caching and downsampling 131 @1080p. System ram was around 11-12GB, I think.

Surprisingly it ran good too, I used 451.85 first, but I didnt see the need to switch to this driver yet.

So what has been fixed by cod warzone, to be incl in this driver?

2. Aldek

Aldek Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080 (UV)
    I believe ppl were reporting stuttering in WZ with RT enabled. If your profile is up2date - you shouldn't have that problem with non RTX GPU.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Raytracing performance fixes.
    • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare may intermittently see a drop in frame rate when ray tracing is enabled
    • [Pascal] Marvel's Avengers may crash if alt-tabbing while the game is running
    • [Notebook] Display is not detected when connected to Thunderbolt 3 port on HP Spectre x360 - 15t-df100 Notebook
    • Minecraft Java Edition may crash when launched with XSplit Broadcaster running in the background

-Tj- likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You have unstable system memory.

sharp framerate dips and raytracing absolutely wrecking MW.

it doesn't really do anything for warzone.

HoWxCoRe likes this.

5. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Tried again with new edge version and this driver, did a full DDU uninstall beforehand... chromium edge with hardware accel on still freezes all my monitors randomly at youtube. Never happens with it turned off.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  6. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Possible. If so it is barely teetering on the edge of unstable though, because it passes memory tests and exhibits no other issues in any programs or certain graphics card driver versions. Good example is the unoptimized, absolute memory hog Horizon Zero Dawn. I'm one of the few who do not get crashes in that game. So I figure it's pretty "stable".

7. densou

densou Member Guru

GPU:
    XLR8 4060ti 16GB
    a larger gap between CURRENT gen (3000) and previous ones as nV's usual (the only con NOT present at gpu's red side)

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah well that comes up every now and again I suppose, I'd imagine efficiency has a bigger scaling factor though both AMD and NVIDIA have had some issues and possible regressions.
    AMD also broke something with low level API performance that still hasn't been resolved for Vega and earlier and that's been going for ~9 months soon with some games losing 30 - 50% compared to earlier drivers.

Driver situations going to be the deciding factor but with a more stable economic situation I would probably have looked at the 3080 as a solid upgrade choice already leaving behind a year of odd driver acknowledgements and somehow even complete obliviousness (They have the Vanguard program too making this even stranger.) it's gotten better but not fully and it's taken way too long. (Vega, Polaris and the Radeon VII user base also affected, R VII in particular how that's been supported is just weird for a supposed flagship GPU model.)

Both have their issues and launch drivers might have some not entirely worked out problems but it's going to be interesting to read up on how this is going to go both for NVIDIA first here and then AMD GPU.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Maybe, using a lot of memory or absolutely hammering the memory is a bit different though.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Battlefield V pops up pretty often for being very quick to crash if there's any memory problems. I would assume the new COD game could be a stability stress test candidate too but the game itself has a few issues to work out and that makes it unreliable for testing against.

Benchmarks might be too fixed and not random enough to trigger some of these borderline stability faults too but some programs a re a bit better about randomizing and alternating the test pattern and conditions for loading up and putting RAM to it's limits.
    AMD for their boards also has the infinity fabric and performance on that and stability but the early warnings error 19 or 21 what it is in Windows event log after a day or so of uptime will tell if it's stable or not so if there's no errors of that nature that's a good sign.
    (If there's even one however it's not stable.)

EDIT: Argh explanations and what to best call all of this.

Don't just store a ton of data in memory actually send a ton of data back and forth and stress the memory, memory controller and the chipset in full making a good workout of the RAM chips and it's settings from voltage and timings to the infinity fabric on AMD and so on.

Bigger thing for the Navi10 GPU's too due to sending more stuff over the chipset and hitting the memory channel and stability that way confusing some of the GPU crashes with what is actually RAM instability.
    (Combined with the other problem around higher transient and peak power draws from the boost algorithm and how the GPU operates though Navi is less extreme than the Vega GPU models here.)

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I found out quake champions is the biggest system ram hog atm.

Add that shiity code fix they did on nv+intel and it fcked my haswell+maxell combo, it randomly ctd no matter what, ever since some update back in April 2019? Or was it 2018. Idk anymore I stopped playing it.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Are you talking about CPU micro-code patches?

12. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    If so, it would worth a try upgrading the MB firmware further (if available) or downloading the MC and doing it manually (with the winraid UBU tool) if the manufacturer abandoned support.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Game update.

14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I used to have an issue with YouTube where after watching one or two 4K videos everything becomes sluggish and really slow. I'd have to for example exit the browser, and go back to YouTube for it to go back to normal speed again.

Anyway the fix I found after MONTHS was to use nVidia Profile Inspector, scroll down to section 5 (common), and find CUDA - Force P2 State and turn it OFF. I do this after every time I update the videocard drivers.

This also fixed any stuttering issues I had with some games that had stuttering every once in a while.

SpajdrEX and Buccellati like this.
  15. densou

densou Member Guru

GPU:
    XLR8 4060ti 16GB
    thanks for your lucid analysis :)

btw, I doubt Samsung's quality may compare to TSMC's especially when it comes up to...low power states (forgot exynos' standby flaws?!)
    nV said the 12-pin connector had been developed to ensure STABILITY and avoid peaks.
    However, AIB will retain 8-pin connectors and 12v madness is expected. (source: -> "to cope with fast load changes")

JonasBeckman likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder what the more tuned and fully customized models will be utilizing plus how scalable the cards are although NVIDIA is allowing even the 3090 to be part of it now but the preview image from Reflex and some of the other features also showed that the 3080 at least appears to be capped at 115% power draw extra.
    https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...performance-tuning-and-monitoring-options.png

If NVIDIA OK's some of the more extreme models for the 3090 GPU that could be a situation where the 12-pin makes a good alternative instead of 3x 8-pin plus a bit extra even since that's 600w and likely more than most of these GPU's would draw.
    (A higher power limit on the 3090 would probably still be conservative so maybe 20% or so default and ~420 - 440w over the 350w default power draw specifications.)

Newer power supplies should be able to cope with near idle or close to zero activity GPU cores too and very low power draws plus the short burst and higher transient power draw too but AMD always felt like they had the more problems in this regard and even Navi is sorta matching the 2080 Ti while being slower. (Actually a bit higher and some of the third parties get up to 320 or even 360 I think it was from the bios database on Techpowerup instead of the 280w default.)

Vega64 as the really problematic one at almost double peak transient hitting close to 600w and above 40a every so often. Higher peak draws are a thing but that GPU was really bad with this.
    (Navi or rather the 5700 XT defaults "only" hit about 400w though still enough to trip a few PSU's up and that over surge protection safety shutdown.)

I see the 12 pin as bit of both a future possible connector on high-end GPU models and due to lowered power draws and improved efficiency also a bit of a safety feature where the cable can handle up to four times the 8 pin connector and the cable durability and robustness as a result also improves as does things on the PSU end I presume for the 12-pin models coming out though I'm not all that great at how this all works. :)

Doubt even the Kingpin would hit that even if NVIDIA were to grant a higher allowed power draw it'd be like 40 maybe 50% and ~500 ish total in terms of wattage so well within spec and if the card is not spiking or fluctuating with these peak power draw transients that shouldn't be a issue but we'll see once the reviews are out sometime mid next week. :)

Going by NVIDIA giving certain review sources these monitoring hardware plugins for power draws I'd imagine they are confident and there's probably limits on what the third party models are allowed to do including also high-ends like EVGA's or Asus top end offerings plus what the limits are for the 3070, 3080 and 3090 respectively.
    (And how locked this is, Experience might just be a soft cap although I can't imagine NVIDIA letting users lift some of these limits easily either.)

EDIT: And looking it up...

So I was a bit off there the 2080 Ti Kingpin didn't add 40% to the 250w default 2080Ti draw it added closer to 115% from what I can tell and the GPU can hit near 530w but that's everything not just the GPU core.

Hmm but then GFE is still capping it pretty low but the GPU third party designs might be a bit more open to further increasing the limit here and then maybe a bit more through GeForce Experience still from that new default. (Which I think I've missed considering entirely, oops.)

What do I know, might be a possibility of a GPU with more than just the single 12-pin after all.
    (Though I do have some doubt on that, has to be a limit somewhere for where it's scaling less with extra power and other thresholds here.)

EDIT: Well it's a user friendly overclock utility same as Wattman it would generally have fairly tight limits and a lower range of causing any actual errors or damage to the hardware.
    For AMD's choices here though that's aside from the power limit which instead of 20% can go up to 50% on some GPU models ha ha.

Anyway.

That's probably the big one here, avoiding any fluctuation and issues from rapid changes to the various power states in response to overall GPU load including modern PSU hardware and the cabling too.
    (Not just down to near zero load and draw but also quickly up to peak draw from that state.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well i installed them and no real difference vs 451.85. At least not in this COD. Will see Desitny2 now. :)

But I have one question about COD warzone, are shadows suppose to look like from the 90's in the distance? xD

ModernWarfare_2020_09_07_22_11_35_745.jpg

ModernWarfare_2020_09_07_22_13_08_964.jpg

ModernWarfare_2020_09_07_22_24_38_489.jpg

settings:
    ModernWarfare_2020_09_07_22_12_02_648.jpg

18. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA

CoD Warzone Shadows are the worst part of the game. Happens if you don't have 2xSMAA enabled. Even without 'filmic' on, there seem to be issues.
    2/3 options really:

a) Live with it. Keep AA off and have the fastest latency response which is critical in FPS games like CoD especially
    b) Turn it on to 2xSMAA Filmic and adjust to the blur, but with less responsiveness of having AA enabled.
    c) Turn on 2xSMAA Filmic and enable Nvidia sharpening in NVCP. The most visually pleasing, yet still less responsive.

It all depends how sensitive you are to that increased latency that high AA brings to the table. People that say there is no difference are lying or potentially using a controller or something. It is definitely there.

Personally, just keep AA off and try to ignore the terrible shadows as much as you can.

-Tj- likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    cascaded shadows are always like that.

20. Battlelog

Battlelog Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Good Job!
    More like this.