I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    3080 with 1 gb vram would easily beat titan rtx and radeon vii. Ram does nothing if not needed. Move on.

2. RAM does nothing if not needed.... hmm.... but it's always needed? So I don't follow...framebuffers for one but that's beside the point (small amount in larger scheme) - & why move on? You're always really laid back...

moo100times and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I can't stand childish moments and situations everywhere around. I believe the myth of more ram the better stopped 10+ years ago. Now it is pushed on consoles and gpus. People should really further educate themselves during their lifespan. Science is not about psychology but also proof!!!

This ram/vram thing is built upon fake future-proofing and the safety of customers' conscience or battle of fears. Other mindsets are laid back, not mine. I am open minded to understand how the hell, even you, enthusiasts connected stuttering and lagging with amount of "ram". Proofs please.

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Do not trigger their fears. Like those who OC even 1mhz and try to find corrupted textures or artifacts, just to face their anxiety. Of-course GB equals years. Any gpu with more than 8 gb vram adds years of gaming! For example, 3090 will easily play all games until 24-8=16 years, or 2036! :eek:

But 3080 should also offer smooth gaming for only 2 years from today. 2022 is so close to change that gpu. Bad investment.

AuerX likes this.

5. Don’t put words in my mouth that were never there. Hey please calm down we don’t have beef lol I am just trying to understand you but you haven’t provided any “science” just described the extent of your frustration. What “proof”? What is this proof you speak of? I am asking for you to explain in detail from a functional, mechanical standpoint that which you are so adamant and intent on countermanding. Be specific. Educate me...

Serotonin likes this.
  6. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Educating takes effort. Thats why insults are usually the response. Humanity has all but lost the ability to share a different opinion and still converse about it. Scary times.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Q: Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price. In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory. Extra memory is always nice to have but it would increase the price of the graphics card, so we need to find the right balance.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-30-series-community-qa/

pharma and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Also according to Nvidia, their memory compression is really good. It's possible that 10 GB is equivalent to much more compared to previous generations. No idea if any figures are out there on that, I've only seen fancy looking double helix looking graphs.

10. Thank you; I did not know this. That is interesting.
    Appreciate the post Amaze & link

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As per usual it's just BS coming out of nvidia's mouth. Shadow of the tomb raider with rtx on and full ultra settings at 4k uses up to 9 gb vram, and rise of the tomb raider with full ultra settings uses up to 11gb vram.

[​IMG]

They know it will be an issue and try to downplay it, and in this case outright lie about it.

For playing games maxed out at 4k, 10gb is borderline enough right now... in 2 years? It certainly wont be...

Undying and Solfaur like this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    What we need is a Turing vs Ampere vram usage comparison article /video, perhaps the numbers will be worth talking about?
    We should hit Hilbert up for this in his Review.

itpro likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if only you knew what measurements you were actually looking at.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That guy is the worst troubleshooter in the history. 15 second regular stutter could be bloody anything EXCEPT that which he think that it is - ie running out of VRAM.

I installed COD Warzone, enabled Ray Tracing, AB shows 7 something gigs of VRAM and my FPS is a flat line.

15. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ITT: Folks that don't know what VRAM allocation is.

Post #2 answered this already.

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The fact that his FPS is still pretty high show he's not crippled by VRAM, once you hit that limit your frames tank. Stutter can be caused by anything from drivers, software, hardware, etc.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Allocated memory and then actual GPU memory usage and the difference between the two. :)
    Could be half that amount or even a quarter of it meaning there's plenty of VRAM to spare still.
    (EDIT: Changed the initial text a bit. I'm really bad at explanations but yeah.)

I do hit close to full VRAM utilization in Monster Hunter World though but that's due to how that game uses memory and the texture pack which goes from rough to really good but more than doubles VRAM requirements and once that's out the game quickly crashes. (It can over allocate but then it's stuttering and all sorts of issues for D3D11)

EDIT:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/vram-in-2020-2024-why-10gb-is-enough.280976/

Just going to use this image for this because I'm not that great at explaining.
    (The full write up is also quite good for a more in-depth explanation.)

[​IMG]

(I really don't do explanations very well but this should work.)

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Bingo, most apps are reading a value equivalent to GPU Commit not Gpu Dedicated

MHW is an extreme edge case, it actually over commits the vram and then proceeds to use it as a scratch pad instead of swapping dedicated memory back and forth depending on use.

no it doesn't.

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Guys, you just don't understand how this works... :rolleyes:
    ... NVidia wants everyone to upgrade again from Ampere 1.0 to Ampere 2.0 (aka, 3080 Super, 3070 Super, etc... next year), which will be moving from 10 to 20 GB of memory, and a 0.001Ghz bump in clock.

Why sell one card when you can sell two near identical ones to the same person ?

Genius !

k3vst3r, nikobellic and toyota like this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I wouldn't be worrried with 10GB at 1440p or 4K,not by a long shot
    For those who think a 10GB card with new memory compression will be "absolete",show me reviews running out of vram on 2080 Super at 4K.

not true from my own experience.

$650 Fury X with 4G

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020