Team Group Launches QX SSD, a 15 TB SATA3 SSD Priced $3390

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All this in a 2.5 drive is pretty impressive but that price is crazy. Nice it's in one drive the tb per dollar isn't that great sadly.

Still waiting on nvme drives to break the 2/4tb barrier. I do wonder if the form size might mess that up?

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Little to no competition combined with an extremely niche product will always result in a comparatively high price. As it is there is barely any competition in the ~4GB SATA SSD space.

BTW, NVMe smashed that barrier already:

https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-8tb-rocket-q/p/0D9-001Y-00039?&quicklink=true

alanm and schmidtbag like this.
  4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Only on pcie3 though it seems, good to know it can be beaten. I still worry about the form factor and the limits of the tiny amount of space.

That said 8tb might have to be my next drive that should do me. On 4.5 tb right now and that's constantly filled. So reckon having 8 plus some Sata ssds for older games will be a good pick.

If more games become like cod mw and its 200gb then smaller drives won't last long or it's a lot or writing and deleting which has its own negatives

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Uhhhh..... you can get a 12Gbp/s 15.3TB TLC Samsung SAS drive for $2100. Why is a consumer-grade drive over $1000 more expensive than enterprise drive?

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Its the only 2.5 inch SATA SSD with that capacity. Once there are others to choose from I am sure it will drop in price.

The density of this thing is pretty unreal. I checked and it is indeed only 7mm tall so in theory you can jam 8 of them into this:

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=192

If you want a crapload of solid state storage in a small space while still living in the desktop world I don't think any other options even come close.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure, it may be the only one of its kind, but you could also just buy a SAS card and still save yourself $1000.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    For certain applications, sure, but I have seen many instances where people wanting huge storage in their mobile content creation laptops require 7mm tall SATA.

If you look around you can see many cases where people got stuck returning drives that were too tall. If I am not mistaken all of those SAS drives are 15mm tall.

Personally, I want a 8TB SATA M.2 SSD but I don't think there are even 4TB in SATA M.2 yet. All of the huge M.2 drives are NVMe. Maybe this huge SATA SSD is a sign that the drive I want is on its way.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For me personally, at that point I'd rather just get an external drive. I don't think it's a good priority to have that much valuable storage on a mobile device.
    Don't most NVMe drives also support SATA? You won't get all the performance you're paying for but it should still be compatible. I may be mistaken though - it's not really a problem I've had to deal with.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    There are combo ports but I am specifically talking about laptop with 1 dedicated M.2 NVMe and 1 dedicated M.2 SATA. This is a very common configuration for laptops.

A single huge NVMe M.2 drive is not really what I want as I will be using the 2nd drive as backup.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No I understand that, I meant aren't there M.2 drives that support both?

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I actually don't think I have ever looked that up in reverse. I know the actual port can support both protocols but I think true NVMe drives have a keying that won't physically fit in a dedicated SATA M.2 port.

Thinking about this I think I remember the ports that support both NVMe and SATA have a side effect of only supporting PCIe 2X so you lose a lot of potential bandwidth.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If the nvme port is designated only sata then it'd be impossible to plug in a pci-e nvme i to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's not 100% accurate. Scroll down to the module keying part:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying
    The M key supports both x4 PCIe lanes and SATA.
    But, I did some research and it appears that there is no drive that supports both PCIe and SATA interfaces.
    Like I said earlier, this isn't really something I investigated much, so I wasn't sure if there was a drive with compatibility for both (though, it seems like that is an option).

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think you misunderstood what i meant.

If there were a drive that did both pci-e and sata, it would be forced to look like the M key. Therefore, if a port only had sata, aka the B key port, there would be no way to insert it into that port, no matter if it could do sata and pci-e. Which at that point kind of defeats the purpose of a drive that can do either.

And i don't believe there will ever be a m.2 port that only does sata, with the m key, as that'd be confusing and people would try and use pci-e drives in it.

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    https://www.msi.com/Laptop/P75-Creator-9SX/Specification

I have this laptop and it has 3 M.2 ports. Note how they are listed:

1x M.2 SSD slot (SATA)
    1x M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3)
    1x M.2 SSD Combo slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA)

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not sure what this has to do with anything....

If that M.2 SSD Slot, that is SATA only, has an M key, then i'd understand what you are saying. But it doesn't list nor did you show what it has.

My bet is, from your list, that the ports are as followed

First: B key
    2nd: M Key
    3rd: M Key

I can't find any photos of this laptop opened up, so...gonna have to go off of logic here.

Edit: I have found it actually, and as far as i can tell, i believe i am correct.

The first M.2 is a B key as far as i can tell from this photo. I understand, it's hard to see.

[​IMG]

The other two M.2 slots are M key, used for storage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I think I misread you here:

"And i don't believe there will ever be a m.2 port that only does sata, with the m key, as that'd be confusing and people would try and use pci-e drives in it."

I was just pointing out that my laptop very specifically lists 1 dedicated NVMe port, 1 combo port that takes NVMe or SATA and 1 dedicated SATA port.

I did some checking and it looks like the B + M combo ports are limited to PCIe 2X. Looking around it seems that SATA only (only a B key) SSDs were a thing at one point but all SATA SSDs are now B + M. That said, if a port is wired for SATA the key does not matter. If you put a NVMe SSD into a SATA wired port, it wont work.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gigabyte are guilty of incorrectly keying m2 slots on its aorus range mainboards, allowing a sata m.2 to be installed in an pcie only slot.