NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Red Dead Redemption 2, Borderlands and Doom are not raytraced.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...x-30-series-delivers-up-to-2x-performance.png

I don't know why so many people keep repeating this nonsense when not only is there a slide but there's a video of it (Digital Foundry) as well.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Amazon UK earlier still had 2080Ti for £1200 ha ha ha

4. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    Only business, nothing personal. Until AMD releases a middle to high range of RDNA2 GPU, rtx30xx is no go unless you are rich or a fan.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Am gonna sit on the fence for a bit and pick splinters out my ass, for me AMD has something special incoming and Nvidia knows it hence the very reasonable prices for some of these cards on paper, I will wait for the full reviews to see what shakes out but I cannot get the sheer processing power of the PS5 chip unreal engine out of my head that thing used 8k textures in real time with billions of triangles and for my mind beat the 2080ti into the bargain and that was lets face it a cut down GPU in a console certainly nowhere near the older PS4 chip.
    I think Nvidias products will see some shaking up once AMD shows its hand and they will possibly still have the Halo product but at least the threat and competition will keep us consumers happy with prices.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    8k textures would certainly mean 10gb will not be enough.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Serotonin likes this.
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    3070 seemed reasonably priced to me. Even the 3080. The 3090 is another story. lol. I'll be waiting for AMD as well to see what they have.

sbacchetta and Fediuld like this.
  9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    3080 to 3090 is 20% perf difference and 3090 is the full chip.
    There is no room.

4000 series is due next year either way, with MCM chips.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    That was using the direct real-time streaming I/O tech from the SSD and the sortware of Unreal engine more than anything else. The GPU itself was less powerful. PC now will have similar GPU-based SDD-I/O and Unreal engine on PC is obviously going to be more powerful too running on a more powerful PC GPU (either from AMD or NVidia). So basically anything you saw in that demo will theoretically be possible to do on future PC too, and possibly better.

Still though it is a bit of a waste and usual fake demo type thing - they don't care about using an entire 1TB MVME-SSD for a single demo to show it off, but who is going to afford to buy and extra SSD just to store one or two new games and their terabytes of textures on it?

Serotonin likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    You ever see that old Onion movie? Where they make fun of pc tech losing its luster before the guy even leaves the store with his pc? Nvidia gives me that feeling every time they release a new gpu. "Forget about that old hunk crap you paid $800 for last time, what were we thinking? But now pay $800 for this new mega ultra awesome card that we totally promise is way better...until the next card and then we will crap all over this one". Like, their own slides, while I understand they need to show improvements to help generate buzz, they feel like "LOLZ 2080ti users hahaha".

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    While true you have to agree that the purpose of making something more efficient primarily is so that it does the same job while costing less, consuming less fuel / consuming less power or to make the thing do a better job while consuming the same power / fuel / cost.

However it seems that others have answered the question in that the new connector is not to provide more power but to provide a smaller footprint for the power connectors for these new cards.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  14. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Caesar and pegasus1 like this.
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    3080Ti for me if it has more VRAM, i play DCS flight sim a fair bit and that eats all 11gb VRam on my 1080Ti as well as 25+gb or RAM.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    True but that´s just the way it is with PC hardware. That´s why so many are falling in love with consoles, they are much simpler...

Although the way Nvidia milked customers with the 2000 series is something that even pains me despite the fact i didn´t buy one...

Serotonin likes this.
  17. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    I don't think there will be "Ti" versions any more.

Releasing a Ti version won't benefit them economically. Instead, I think they'll only keep working with the numbers and releasing refresh-models such as the "Super" versions similar from RTX 2k series.
    People with TI cards could completely ignore the Super versions (which was bad for Nvidia), whilst for others the super model line-ups were a better price-value - and that did work out very well. I am pretty sure they'll stick to this strategy from now on.

Jensen said himself, that the RTX 3080 is their "flagship" already. That just proves their way of not releasing a Ti-Flagship any more. Releasing a refresh line-up instead will be much more beneficial for them.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    that means Titan 48gb ram is real, will be close to 3000$
    no 3090ti/super i think

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    3070 Ti, 3080 Ti ... (or Super instead of Ti), with double the memory... almost guaranteed to happen

They are simply waiting for AMD to get their cards out.
    If Radeon 6800X or whatever is the biggest "Big Navi" comes with 16 GB, there's just no way NVidia will sit idle with their 8/10G cards.

pegasus1 and Undying like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i just wnted to get ahead of any one foolish enough to try.

Caesar likes this.