Sabrent Next-Gen Rocket 4 Plus PCIe 4.0 SSD Designed to kick Samsungs ass at 6850 MB/s seq writes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Peak sequentials are nice and all, but i'll reserve judgement for random I/O at low queue depths - eg. actual real world use.

Generally interested in a top tier PCIe 4 SSD for when I build a new Zen3 system.

GSDragoon and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You know, issue at hand is not write speed. Users mostly write only tiny amount of data to drives. And most drive's activity is actually reading.
    On top of that, even read speed is not that important with most of games. That's because they use bit too heavy compression on their data files, and CPU is limiting factor.

Good thing about PS5 is that Epic stopped ignoring development of PC storage HW and started to deal with their slow decompression. It will likely take years before games have either repack to NVMe optimized compression, or are directly released with it, so read speed actually has appropriate impact.
    They should have had compression that at least enables average gaming 3.3~3.8GHz CPU (Sandy and newer) to read 500MB/s from SSD while decompressing it to whatever it can. (Like 600~800MB/s.)
    Those storages are around for so long, and one mostly sees like 200~400MB/s read.

4. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Yeah, lets see.
    My HDDs have write speeds of few GB/s! But only till RAM cache is empty!!!
    Let's wait real world scenario and independent testing.
    But as 970Pro user I'm disappointed with 980Pro. Reason for me buying 970Pro was huge endurance what might matter when SSD starts to fill up. Also on all tests 970Pro killed others in random loads.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Lol. 980 "Pro" DoA.

Lovely competition is lovely !

tunejunky and DeskStar like this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's nice to see manufacturers starting to take PCIe 4.0 SSDs seriously.

DeskStar likes this.
  7. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I'm definitely going for 2TB as this is minimum capacity for my OSes drive needs but dilemma in my case is ssd's cooling and motherboard. Asrock x570 taichi has this shield (i'm not fan of it) covering huge chunk of surface and cooler of this ssd is chunky, so question is: remove motherboard's shield (including chipset fan) and use this ssd with its own cooler or keep shield and rely on it as a cooler for ssd and chipset?

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I might pick up a 1TB version. Hopefully Sabrent includes a screw with their drive this time. :D

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Should have been included in your motherboard purchase. Not their problem.

And if you're missing it then it's the motherboard manufacturers issue not Sabrents.

10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Take the stock one off and use the chipsets heatsink. It works better at least on my x570 Xtreme it makes a difference. Active cooling over passive cooking will win any day in this comparison.

It's obvious the temperature difference that's for sure.

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    ?????? What HDD's you running and with how much RAM?

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Where are the 4TB versions of these things? :(

tunejunky likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Aside from maybe high-res or high-FPS video editing, I don't understand the point of spending so much extra for no significant real-world advantage. Storage isn't the bottleneck it used to be.

14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    "It go fast", [​IMG] you can't tell the difference in day to day usage from any other m2. Just a trick to buy their m2. [​IMG]

norton likes this.
  15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    ...and no 4k random read @QD =1 numbers. Maybe because it sux :p

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Is every fast nvme thread like this?

I bought their 1TB rocket as an OS drive. It's actually pretty nice and every real world benchmark I've seen from any website shows it's a ridiculously fast drive by any metric. This includes things you might notice like moving huge amounts of files or loading a game. I know I can tell the difference from my slower nvme after moving games over. Granted the difference between pretty fast and really fast isn't as dramatic as going from a mechanical to a fast SSD, but it's there.

17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i'd say (depending on Sabrent's warranty), remove Sabrent heat sink, apply thermal compound and use the Asrock mobo heat sink.

this is not a niche issue with the Taichi. most of the upmarket x570's and B-550's have integrated heat sinks for M.2s - and most retail pcie 4.0 m.2's have a heat sink as well.
    so i definitely "feel you", my Asrock X570m Pro4 has one integrated heat sink and one that's exposed... but the heat sink covers the pcie 4.0
    so idk if i voided my warranty (don't care as i'm old hand at this), but i did just as i recommended mainly because the integrated heat sink is better.

18. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Wow out of nowhere after samsung drops their new SSD which I was waiting for... all I can say -- this is GREAT! Competition like this is good for the consumer, it should help drive prices down.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i suspect the heat is the issue. also, not all M.2's support a 100cm M.2 which would provide an additional 25% real estate for chips.
    double sided is double heat, double throttling for now

20. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Well, I have plain 7200 drive running on x570 RAID (drive is not in RAID) and AMD RAID software has some minimal cache.
    But there is AMD StoreAndGO which does similar with SSD.

Here is copying 6.3GB file from Samsung 970 Pro to HDD:
    Test.png
    It starts with 1.5 (2) GB/s for first 5 sec and then next 13 sec is at 190 MB/s
    SSD to SSD (970 to AData XPG) is at 2.7 GB/s all the time.
    BTW Samsung Magician reports 100 MB/s write speed. Result is identical regardless how many times I copy file.