Marvel's Avengers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 20, 2019.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not the cheapest this game, even for a key.

Getting this for my boy and missed the beta on Steam, but I'm assuming I should get this in the One X as there will be no MGPU and a single 970 and 8gb of system ram will choke.

Off to watch some stuff on YT, but thought I would ask here as well.

Just picked up the Xbox version as Digital Foundry didn't sell me on the pc version. First time in nearly a decade that its physical media. 20200904_161548.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just an update on the Marvel's Avengers issue which I thought might have been caused by using driver v460.15 originally just in case anyone else comes across this "bug". Turns out that the infinite Campaign loading screen issue is caused by what I can only assume is a corrupted save file although the game does not crash and can be exited normally by pressing Alt-F4 to bring up the Quit Game prompt. If this happens that the workaround/fix is to go into the Avengers Initiative mode (this is meant to be accessed once you complete the campaign) but since I was literally on the last mission anyway it did not spoil anything for me. This mode loads fine for me and once loaded then all you do is access the war table and press up on the d-pad which allows you to switch between the Avengers Initiative and Campaign modes. This completely fixed the issue for me as the campaign loaded and once I returned to the main menu then I could again resume the campaign normally from the Campaign option.

Astyanax likes this.
  4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I'm a bit stuck for something to play right now so might have given this a go but the performance seems pretty poor even on top end hardware.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it is a mess, these cosmetics are like 300$

6. PC edition = Trainers / thank god

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    save editing cheat engine, usually ways around paywalls if you are so inclined.

most of the pay skins are weak at lest the decent ones are allegedly in game.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Got to agree that a lot of the skins are just minor variations or recoloured versions of other skins and only a few of them are actually worth having/using.

I completed the campaign for this game over the weekend - took me around 20 hours or so - and while I will say that I mostly enjoyed it, the ending was a bit disappointing as is the post-game content which recycles the same dozen maps and, especially, underground labs almost ad nauseum. The game also starts to feel like a real grind with meagre rewards and it seems to take ages to unlock anything of worth leading to a general sense of dissatisfaction with the core gameplay loop. It's a shame because I thought the combat was a lot of fun but without interesting missions and variety then it quickly becomes repetitive. Overall I will say the campaign was good though nothing special in terms of story but the lack of decent post-game content lets the package down for me.

Also, on my system the only way I can get smooth stable performance is to cap it to 30 fps using RTSS and turn off the DSR in the game. The framerate otherwise is too variable for an enjoyable experience and even dip *below* 30 fps when unlocked or capped to 60 fps, something that bizarrely does not happen when capped to 30 fps as it is pretty much locked. It is also as if my system is being so stressed above 30 fps that it introduces stuttering and bandwidth issues. This is something I have never seen in any other game.

DSR targetting 30 fps and 60 fps in-game (with the cap removed in RTSS) simply does not work on my system and introduces wildly varying framerates just from standing still and spinning the camera around in the war table room on the helicarrier!!! It is so bad that it feels as if the game is slowing down and speeding up; it's hard to describe really. If I cap the game to 60 fps with DSR off then the game feels noticeably smooth but rarely sustains 60 fps - CPU usage seems to be around 60-80% and GPU usage 100% - and during combat the game can dip to the low 30s fps, making it feel horrid to play despite having G-SYNC enabled. This is why I settled on a cap of 30 fps and in all honesty it feels like the game was designed this way as it runs near perfectly at this framerate with CPU and GPU remaining below 100% (although CPU usage can hit 100% across all 8 threads of my i7-4770K during loading).

Not sure if this game needs an optimisation patch and/or a better graphics driver?

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If you can stand it, try capping the game at 30 fps using RTSS and turning off Dynamic Resolution Scaling. It locks the game's framerate almost perfectly even during the animated loading screens. Apart from one hiccup during the final boss fight, where the game tanked to 17 fps for a split second (which I believe was because I left the in-game DSR set to 30 fps), it was locked at 30 fps even during hectic combat with the Enhanced Intel settings set to On.

I am used to 30 fps from console games and it is implemented here better than most PC games which I find hard to play at that framerate. 60 fps would be better but the performance on my hardware is just too variable to be enjoyable and I found the 60+ fps down to 34 fps then back up to be distracting even though I am using G-SYNC. The locked 30 fps was the lesser of the two evils in my opinion and it only took me a minute to adjust.

As I say though it is not for everyone. Most PC gamers would be against running a game at anything lower than 60 fps and I can understand that; we should not have to. However, this game seems to be poorly optimised and it doesn't just run badly in combat, where you would expect it to, but even on the helicarrier there are places where the framerate just tanks to the low 30s fps even though there is nothing going on, e.g. the area before the door where you look through the windows down to the war table below runs very poorly on my system.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

6/10 IGN

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    its an average game if you like avengers, i do not, if you like action games, sometimes, you can get some 30 40 hours of fun bit more if you got a friend.

ill be skipping looked generic and bland every thing i saw of it, fans game.

Archvile82 likes this.
  12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I think I will wait until I get my hands on a 3080 or perhaps something from AMD until I try out this game. I play at 4K so need all the performance I can get tbh.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Good shout the 3080 by the sounds of things will be a very decent card for 4k gaming

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    DLSS patch is out includes ultra performance, works well but can cause artifacts in the airplane

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  17. I've played it and don't get it. There is nothing that implies 100m USD budget... well, except of licensing fees. Or maybe some CEOs of contributing studios needed new Lambos.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I was debating buying this even after seeing all the negative reviews. Luckily I received it free from a promotion. I would not spend any money on this game. Someone even compared it to Destiny, which it is nothing even remotely close to. It is seriously so buggy and glitchy and just downright boring that I can't even bring myself to play it more to see if it gets any better. This all after I was really wanting to buy it in hopes of it being as the one reviewer mentioned, like Destiny, and it is more like the 1st version of Dynasty Warriors. I also don't get why it runs so horribly considering the graphics are mediocre at best. I honestly could not imagine a single thing that can make this game better than it is, by design it is hot garbage

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Next-gen update is out for all platforms

looks a little better on PC, runs kinda the same with slow response to controller mashing during action, it crashed twice now

20. Yeah well, this game needed a lot of changes, sadly, visual quality wasn't one of them...