NVIDIA Snags Away Market Share From AMD, now sells 80 percent of dedicated GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    They even deny bugs and issues. On AMD threads you almost have to pass from holy inquisition praying you won't get burned...:p:D:eek:

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Still pretty happy with my 5700XT after many years of nothing but nvidia. I'll just keep buying what makes sense. I don't give a crap who sells more cards.

Undying and Maddness like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There are many people here not even tried amd cards at all or once maybe talking how bad their drivers are, how the you know? Becouse you heard from a guy? There is also many nvidia fanatics here buying a 1,000$ cards just becouse ita nvidia, shut and take my money kinda. Waiting for rdna2 to compete not for them to try supporting it but becouse their green brand may drop prices, maybe, hah.

HandR and itpro like this.
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    :eek:

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, you can say that there is like 10% of entire market who stays with AMD for one or another reason no matter what kind of competition exists. No matter what their products are.
    People who are "loyal" to nVidia in same way do not cover 10% of market. It is maybe 40%.
    Those people like proprietary technologies, or did fell into incompatibility trap with G-Sync or anything else along the road. And switching camps is not worth the extra cost from getting new accessories or learning "how to use other products".

I see neither losing sales unless one is way too expensive or its product is broken. But since nVidia gained thanks to DX-R "early access". If AMD outperforms them there a lot, they may gain few percents. But only few.

So, intel may come with anything. And they are likely going to gain only little bit of market share.
    (But it will likely not be so good for the price "1st" time around.)

itpro likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    In reality they only sell one third of that, but at triple the price :p

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Nope, they sell at 3 times the price at which they would break even. That's small difference. Both companies need to make profit.
    Good part from that is, they have awful lot of space to reduce prices.

8. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    This thread is hilarious as I have had the opposite experience to most people?

Most of my Nvidia GPU's have died within 2 year period, or often just outside warranty, whilst running at stock. Well ventilated cases, good psu's etc. I also had a few laptops where the nvidia gpu overheated so much it either caused thermal throttling, continuous shutdown or simply damaged surrounding components so whole thing didn't work.

I went back to AMD in like 2009 after the last gpu cooked and I had enough, probably 10 years then I had AMD hardware and not looked back. Every GPU I have since then has not died, not even artifacted. Used them in multiple machines, some took damage and they still all work.
    Since then built multiple AMD only machines (particularly since 2016) and not a single failure or complaint.

So this experience - completely anecdotal, and from the sound of things I must be an outlier to Nvidia. I also never had any real driver issues that took more than a couple of hours to solve with AMD, and reliable hardware at a great price has kept me coming back.

A lot of AMD hate considering they are the minority, and I do feel for users that have faulty hardware. It is torture sometimes just trying to make it work. However, something that bothered me more was on top of the hardware lottery we all play, and when I was more financially tight, AMD was the only company I felt that didn't use me exclusively as an ATM.
    Chips were interesting and could be tweaked (duron + pencil anyone), flash bios on to other GPU's, longievity of cards was amazing in the old days (yes fine wine is a thing) - in an era of overclocking and looking for best value, extra performance to extract - AMD had that covered.
    Now I am older and less time for this fun, AMD has designed sytem to maximise performance for us and easy to run tools to optimise thanks to this page and 1usmus.

So yea, I am loyal to AMD as they have always made reliable hardware for me, my experience has been excellent with them and my fun with computers over the last 30 years was always that little bit extra thanks to them. I hope they never leave the market.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just want to make it clear that I'm not personally saying that "AMD drivers sux" because I don't have any first hand experience with that. What I do know is what I read on forums (note that I read AMD and nVidia forums more or less equally much) and it feels like AMD drivers are more of an issue than nVidia drivers. The few friends I have who are gamers all have nVidia GPUs (just a coincidence of course) and none have ever said anything about driver problems. That of course doesn't mean that they don't exist but at least I'm hearing that things work out better for the green team. When I read GPU product reviews they aren't great for AMD cards.

Mind you, I'd gladly try Big Navi (if it's fast enough) but I would want to be sure that the chance of things working is high enough before taking the leap.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Right, so you're saying that they lied on their release notes? Why would they do that? Why would they even acknowledge what they acknowledged, if they could just write:
    "Fixed a regression in the boost algorithm that might cause a crash for some users".
    ?
    What I understand from this is that you don't understand how any of these things work. All hardware works with specific tolerance levels, and in different voltages etc. There are no "stable conditions", there is a "range of stable conditions". You can never have the exact same configuration, even in exactly replicated hardware like the consoles. Software and hardware design is supposed to take this into account, if it doesn't, it fails. I cannot understand how this is still a conversation when AMD themselves literally admitted it was a driver issue in their own driver notes.

Oh yea, and with the exception of Vulkan, AMD drivers do suck.

itpro likes this.

11. lol wtf?

While I understand your frustration couldn't those same people play devil's advocate and retort "well we never tried meth but know it's bad" ? Personal first-hand exposure with something doesn't necessarily qualify one in every case.
    Hey, good to see you again almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar - cool btw'

I agree! I'm don't intend to be hyperbolic or emphatic. 80% of the market space is huge. That NVIDIA has saturated up to 80% in the time-frame they have is important. I see it as going either one way or the other as well. Ryzen was in many ways AMD's last stand in CPU space. Contrasts can be drawn here with DGPUs. There's been a huge "sucking sound" coming out of AMD for a long time.

AMD saturated Intel market space at an aggressive rate since 2016/2017. The same can occur with GPUs, for or against them. They need to be on par with Ampere (not Turing) but Ampere; something they got wrong the last 3 launches. Cost may be nice for headlines but market share goes to the performance king. Which ought to be a really good indicator of how AMD really is manufacturing the best, fastest CPUs out there right now.

RTG needs to replicate this with Big Navi, it's either that or bust. Vega = disappointment / Vega 7nm = disappointment / RDNA1 = overhyped, underperformed. I'm rooting for them, I haven't ran a gaming card of theirs since 7970 ghz edition - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020
    itpro and Undying like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1st) Power management "fix" is not proof of regression. They simply had adequate reference systems and could not catch issues people with damn bad systems and cabling habits got.
    2nd) As I wrote, I can literally take those "fixed" drivers (which cousin has anyway), and replicate issue on system that works perfectly well in my place just by letting him mess his cabling way he did before.

So tell me, is black screen fixed or not? Because I can intentionally cause it not by messing with driver and software, but by electrical interference means.
    I do not think there is going to be Big Navi powerful enough to be what I call upgrade over 2080 Ti.

13. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I understand undying frustration. Me personally I have no problem with people who keep buying Nvidia and will never give a fair shot to AMD, (I own personally both). But some Nvidia user are like iPhone user who will never touch an Android phone even with a 10 foots pole, but can't stop complaining about apple price.
    If you are Nvidia for life, no problem, you are not happy with Nvidia pricing, no problem either, but stop complaining about it and put the fault on AMD "lack" of competition !

Undying likes this.
  14. I buy NVIDIA & complain about its prices. I also buy Apple & complain about its prices. I'm an American and complain about my Government. I imagine my list could go on and on... my point being this is normal and there is nothing wrong with it.

EDIT: lol I buy AMD graphics and complain about their crap drivers. (granted I buy workstation GPUs but hey still counts)

I'm an equal opportunity complainist'

Mufflore likes this.
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If this is true, this is the epitome of bad. It means they don't test properly.
    You understand that in this specific case then it might be his system, but the reason they put this in the driver release notes is for the majority of cases, right? You basically consider your sample of one to be of greater validity than the sample that AMD has.
    I am actually optimistic it might. AMD will probably hit the /70 /80 card sweet spot against Nvidia. I suspect they will have lower prices of around $100, but slower ray tracing and no DLSS. Which means they'll be kind of DOA again, like Navi.

itpro likes this.

16. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You do understand that complaining about something that you are a part of it will do nothing to correct the problem.
    Nvidia price won't come down because for probably 70% or even more of their customer base, they are only competing with themselves.
    Turing RTX pre-super didn't sell well not because AMD had a strong offering (at that time it was awful), but because Turing was weak in term of value against Nvidia own Pascal card.
    The super card sold better not because AMD was weaker, but because the super cards were better AGAIN against Pascal card....

Edit: it is exactly the same problem at an even stronger degree with Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if it was for 90% or more of their customer base

17. Oh really? You know you are the first person to ever tell me that. I guess now that I know better I’ll just ... change my ways!

Seriously where’s the evidence that complaining doesn’t solve anything? People make careers out of complaining, some just call it journalism by another name or the news. Some of those complaints include serious issues like child abuse in our communities (I live in my community see something say something etc) no you’re wrong. Complaining is not in and if it’s “ulterior” everything has a frame of reference in life, I am trying - patiently I might add to show you that.

18. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I never said complaining was useless, I said complaining if you are part of the reason why won't help. Because if you are part of the problem, you need to act upon it to resolve things.

The Japanese youth started to understand that recently, that not going to vote while all the time complaining about your elected representative's decisions isn't productive at all, and now slowly more and more start to care about politics.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It's on your end then, you buy vendor overclocks, you get the 2 yearly upgrade experience when the stuff craps itself.

Sorry, but pc builders who research their purchases properly don't get screwed like this, i've still got geforce hardware from 2003 that still works as well as the day i bought it.

20. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    2 were reference GPU's from Nvidia. Have never bought a vendor overclock GPU with either AMD or Nvidia. Didn't build the laptops myself either. I also have a sole Nvidia survivor - a Geforce 2 Mx.
    As I said my experience is anecdotal as is yours.

However to imply that I do not research or build properly is not on, but considering you are a well established troll here, I guess I shouldn't expecting anything different.