Here is the new 12-pin NVIDIA PCIe Power connector in more detail, much smaller then you think it is

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's tiny, and guess top end cards only need one. Will this become universal now? Will even low end cards use it I wonder.

Though I can only see a benefit on the high end as technically it would take up less pcb space. My card has 3 8 pins and I could be done with just a single one of these which Is a nice thought.

DeskStar and Kaarme like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd welcome it as long as it's free of license costs for everybody. It would be more stylish than the current 6+2 frankenconnectors. A single cable serving even a beefier video card would be an even greater plus. Luckily it turned out there's no need to buy a new PSU for it, so it could simply happen as natural evolution without causing anyone too much trouble, aside from some with transparent cases and very careful aesthetics. They wouldn't like an adapter or a random cable if they currently use some beautiful third party cables.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Every PC connector class got smaller and smaller as time progressed.

Remember Molex power for HDDs ? It became smaller with SATA, and even smaller with NVMe (power and signal merged into one tiny package)
    How about USB? Type C now transfers a lot more power than USB(1,2) ever did.
    Main buses... ISA was HUGE and used gigantic contacts. PCI got smaller then PCIe has much thinner contacts and can transfer more power

This is because engineers figured out how to make better contact with smaller surface, and how do distribute load over multiple contacts.

I welcome this change, it was about time to get rid of those chunky and ugly PCIe power connectors !
    Can't wait for the motherboard transition to pure ATX12v and get rid of that huge ATX 2.x connector

5. Tellthetruth

Tellthetruth Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Goddamm, look at those thicc cables, so sexy!

6. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    i have to swap out my cables for another due to them getting flexible when in use.
    these cables look very thin and will suffer from heat causing the cable coating to become flexible.
    we put to much amps down these we could be looking at a fire hazard.

Silva likes this.
  7. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I think the 'license cost' will be whatever Molex has for the current 6+2, after all it's a new Molex standard, not Nvidia proprietary.

You can see more here if you haven't already:
    https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0430251200

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/microfit_30
    Amen. Laptops have already been doing this for a long time, converting to smaller voltages in the mobo rather than bulk up the power supply cable even more.

Kaarme likes this.
  8. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    How much power can it deliver? More than 150W?

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Looks like the wires are the same gauge to me. Based on this -> https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html
    even if they were 25 gauge wires which are incredibly thin, it could handle 576 watts. (6 circuits * 8 max amps from table * 12v).

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Damn, it's the same size at the 8 pins, looks like the way forward.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Someone tell me if I am wrong but the new connector looks to be able to provide 300w of power

12. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    It remains to be seen if this is the new standard though, if down the road that 6 or 8 pin variants on this scale rather than the old clumsy method which I doubt anyone actually liked. Its about time some other connections were shrunk too

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Never

rdmetz likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I wonder how hard it is to pull it out.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I hope PSU manufacturers can offer an optional 12-pin cable that plugs directly into their PSUs (like the seasonic). Would prefer that than use adapter.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Be Quiet has said they will.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    We will most probably also be able to get the connectors to assemble our own besides being able to get aftermarket cables with the 12 pin for modular PSU's.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Bad ass! Was hoping it wasn't some "monolithic" connection "to rule them all" kind of thing.

Very excited.

Have three 1.5k PSU's on stand by for that necessary "POWAH" requirements.

And I love that video from Nvidia explaining how things needed to change in order to accomplish something revolutionary once again.

All of this "history of the GPU" shtuff Nvidia is and has been interesting too. A step back in the past for sure seeing all of it once again.

19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    It's going to be an additional cable that connects to two eight pin cables people.

It's been stated before. Only thing costing money is going to be the purchase of the connector in order to get the twelve pin.

Have to buy it unless it's packed in with your if brand new PSU.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This will definitely become the standard eventually. It's just like back when we had to use 4 pin molex connectors to 6 pin PCI E adapters. It was a pain, but look where we're at now.