NVIDIA Snags Away Market Share From AMD, now sells 80 percent of dedicated GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah its always better to have hw failure then a driver issue, right? AMD having a bad drivers is always blown out proportion becouse some users cant figure what is happening. its not 2011 people.

Fediuld and sbacchetta like this.
  2. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    how do things like console sales play in this part? since nvidia really has no play in that space,

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I cannot use GPU scaling with my setup two full months now. At least if it was gpu problem I would RMA. But I cannot RMA a perfect monitor. Drivers from AMD are problematic. I have shouted everywhere, amd support, reddit, email, monitor manufacturer etc.

If it doesn't get fixed with monitor firmwares and amd drivers, I will go nvidia together with my xbox series x purchase.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I can´t understand this market share from both companies, it should be much more closer to each other. AMD´s GPU line up is not groundbreaking but it´s very solid and seem well priced against Nvidia. The only place where AMD really falters is in the high end space but the bulk of sales belongs to the under 300€ market.
    Of course Nvidia offers more features but most of them are just for marketing reasons because very few games actually support them... No to mention the penalties associated with using RT...

Strange values to me...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is mindshare thing. Same as with CPUs.
    Does it work when you install older drivers? If yes, it is likely driver bug or OS incompatibility with newer drivers. (Would tried to move to newer windows build.)
    If it still does not work after downgrading drivers to those which did previously work, then it is something stuck in registry and no driver release will fix it as it is issue on local system. (Maybe AMD's driver cleaner. But in worst case scenario, only OS reinstall will help.)

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No surprise with the way AMD has chosen to not compete with GPU's the last few years. I do hope for all of us AMD and even Intel are competitive going forward as they do at least seem to be trying finally. The pricing is so out of control already we need some competition to get this corrected. Intel with lack of competition mostly stagnated and Nvidia with lack of competition didn't stagnate but raised prices significantly.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He didn't say it was better to have a HW failure than a driver issue. He said he's glad he didn't have both, which makes sense, right?

And I disagree that it's blown out of proportion, it was only a year ago where the black screen issues were completely downplayed on this forum by the usual pro-AMD posters. They claimed blackscreening was caused by user error, cheap PSUs, overclocks, a marketing ploy by Nvidia to make AMD look bad, etc.. only to have AMD ship a driver with literally like 6 black screen fixes and a promises for additional black screen fixes in future drivers lol. I'm pretty sure the response is proportional to the issues people have.

Netherwind and Mufflore like this.
  8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Are you playing old games? That is what gpu scaling is mainly for. So if they aren't old you aren't missing anything. Make sure you are using one of these connectors or gpu scaling won't enable. DVI, HDMI, Display Port, or a Mini Display Port cable. Also check your registry keys to make sure they are not corrupted/ broken. You can also try this old old work around to see if it helps at all. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R5-HmNZnlHRlWs7WZrvmXUnAhk3xMkTl

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    AMD should start copying their Linux devs' homework, because they got RDNA working smoothly long before the Windows team did. Since the drivers are open source and owned by the same company, they literally could copy the work and get away with it.

Netherwind, moo100times and itpro like this.
  10. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The drivers issues by themselves weren't blown out proportion. But the great majority of them have been fixed for more than 6 month now, and people are still speaking of those as concurrent issue and like AMD didn't do a things about them, while 6 month after the 2080ti HW failure launch fiasco, almost nobody were talking about it anymore...
    The problem isnt Nvidia get a free pass on issue and AMD don't, but is nobody except the usual AMD fan boy talk about those Nvidua issues for more than a few month while the community keep on hitting on AMD for years....

Edit : I know those difference are mainly due to vastly superior marketing from Nvidia and overall better brand image, but it hurt when pseudo enthusiast show as much knowledge of past and present issues than the average iPhone user.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's not what's happening at all. It's 2020 and people are really savvy and do do research and look at forums etc. What you're seeing is a previously bad reputation (spanning a few decades ago) now reinforced by buggy RX series drivers.

So, in reality it's not that users cant figure out what's happening, they actually have and they don't want any part of it.

Enthusiasts like us will put up with it and wait for fixes, however, the everyday consumer will not tolerate it and will go Nvidia. That's just the way it is.

itpro likes this.
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Half of those 80% had at least once in their lifetime ATI/AMD and got tired from mediocre drivers and inferior performance. The holy grail of fine wine aka "futureproofing" and performance per buck, is an one time reservation. One shouldn't live like that, it is depressing. Seize the moment, play now.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I would switch to AMD at some point, but drivers are a major concern. I was gonna sell my 1660 Ti and get a 5600XT earlier this year, but after all the last minute bios revisions, I didn't feel comfortable doing it. AMD had a 1660 Ti/Super killer and they totally screwed it up.

14. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Nvidia or AMD makes little difference to me. What matters to me when I need a GPU is who can give me the best performance with the money I have allocated on hand. The last time it was a 1060 and gotta say it has done everything I have needed from it but the price at the time was just a bit more than I wanted to spend. My interests in the future is to see AMD show competitive value around the mid range market. Good competition there sure would make my wallet happy. :D

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those buggy drivers are not real. Yet again, I had RX 5700 XT from day one. Like other cards before. And they did just fine.

nVidia simply has long term mind share and they have really good marketing. Which is partly due to their ruthless game development manipulation.
    From my point of view, nVidia was too early with RTX series, but they wanted to cash on DX-R work. And they made heavy use of proprietary tech as they always do...
    Marketing it that only with them you can play way it is meant to be played. I doubt that gurus here without RTX cards miss DLSS or DX-R that much.
    But normal folk feels that they are missing on something without it. Experienced people here did learn that unless there is actually game that can't be played without it, there is no need to pay extra for usually minor visual difference. And since DX-R effect came at heavy performance cost and DLSS reduced IQ as compensation, it was mixed bag from start.

Even today, there are very few games where I would prefer DLSS over no-DLSS in terms of image quality versus performance. It is important to understand that nothing is for free, and computational power is no exception. Have you seen common folk to actually compare DLSS IQ on 1440p vs native 1080p? No, they bought expensive GPU and expensive 1440p screen, and DLSS is way for them to keep good fps.

carnivore, Fediuld and sbacchetta like this.

16. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    I'm usually cheering for the underdog, but man, loosing 5% share with a new, supposed-to-be great lineup... guess the stories on forums like "I've bought an 5700XT, but it was buggy and swapped it for a 2070S" was true

itpro likes this.
  17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah they are real and actually documented, sorry, we have the real information on this, nice try though. You're basically calling your fellow AMD users who have issues liars. If it's like other cards before, you'll be baking it soon as well.

Also, there's more value to DX-R now and in the future than async compute or rapid packed maths etc will ever produce.

What we really learnt about DX-R is that it's flexible in implementation and there's plenty of options in what to and what not to include. It's scalable and for a first-gen implementation it works fine and is continually improving. Imho, if you don't care about DX-R, then, you don't actually care about image quality, period.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    "I never had a problem, so the problem is not real"

How can you possibly take that position?

A year after the cards shipped, AMD released a driver with 5 blackscreen fixes for RDNA, two of which that were extremely generic like "run a 3d program in the background and switch tasks" "have hardware acceleration enable in chrome", they acknowledged another unfixed blackscreen issue in the same driver, then proceeded to say "there might be more issues".

That was months after a massive number of people kept complaining on forums about random blackscreening - but you're saying all those fixes and problem posts are not real? None of those people had problems? AMD wrote a driver with made up fixes?

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt it a little suspicions all these people had some issues and none of the reviewers had those. Ask here @Hilbert Hagedoorn if one of his 5700's had black screens and he did review bunch of them. Steve from HU said at any circumstances he could not recreate those issues with any of his cards and thats before it was fixed at this point.

Fediuld likes this.
  20. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    The UE5 demo is pretty and all, but the PS5 GPU did nothing special, it´s just the expected performance from a 36 CUs AMD GPU. Epic even said that a laptop with a 2080 Max-Q runs the same demo at 40fps, instead of the PS5's 30fps.

To put things in perspective, the 2080 Max-Q in terms of performance is normally between the 2060 Super and 2070 Super from desktop.

Stormyandcold likes this.