Monitor doesn't wake up from stand-by

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PJVol, Aug 27, 2020.

1. PJVol

PJVol Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    HI there! Need help.
    A while ago, I found that the monitor's power saving feature does not work if any of the monitoring tools is running in the background. So far among the troublesome RTSS, CPU-Z, HWInfo.
    What happens: monitor does not resume from stand-by on keyboard/mouse events. In fact, it kinda wakes up, since the backlight turns on, but no "handshake" with the GPU occured, only one sound of "device disconnect" is heard instead of two (followed by "device connect") and the screen remains black with ocassionally flickering thin horizontal gray stripes.
    In this case, it can be revived by turning off/on it's power button.
    If anyone knows the reason for this behavior or has a solution, I would be grateful

PC: Ryzen 3600X, X370 Taichi, 2x8 ddr4 3600, RX 5700XT <=DP=> Samsung C32H711

2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You do not really need those tools running around though. They are gimmicks. If they work as you like keep them, if they hurt you, remove them. Simple and reliable solution.

3. PJVol

PJVol Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    Sure it is, although quite radical one. What bothered me, is that something seem broken in the latest driver releases, since it start happening recenly. Thanks anyway.

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    If you have a feeling that drivers are at fault, try some older packages and note down the last fully working driver. It isn't always the best option to have the latest/newest one.

5. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just wanted to add that I had an issue with 20.8.2 where my 2nd monitor wouldn't wake from Sleep, and went into a detection loop, fixed by Ctrl-Alt-Win-B. Happy to say that 20.8.3 is not having this issue.

7. PJVol

PJVol Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    There are so many apps and services running in BG that I would not give it too much weight, rather, there may be conflicts in some processes after their update, as well as with OS updates.

Whatever... the good news is 20.9.1 drivers seems to fix that.
    It's funny that I've never seen this in the release notes before (at least not in "known issues") :
    • On some displays, power cycling the display while Radeon FreeSync is enabled may cause the display to remain black until the system is rebooted or the display is hot plugged.
    So far, it seems OK, except for
    annoying pairs of system sounds "disconnect device" - "connect device", repeated at random intervals when the monitor is in standby mode.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    I've been having issues with with my Vega - TV/monitor not waking up since the August and September drivers. I use the Restart GPU exe from CRU to bring it back online but will probably roll back to the last July release.
    I'm on an Intel chipset btw.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    See issues like this is why I can't switch to AMD for a GPU. This stuff shouldn't be happening and I don't wanna have to deal with it.

10. PJVol

PJVol Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    if i get it right, you had dual display setup and one of them didn't wake up ? (curious which one).
    In fact, as I see it, it was not the monitor that could not wake up (in fact, it was woken up as the LED backlight turned on), but the GPU itself remained in some low power state, unable to handshake with the display.

Never experienced that on my previous VEGA 56, probably something has been broken in the display driver at least since august, may be even earlier.

PS: Is there a way to somehow mark thread title as SOLVED ?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020