NVIDIA Snags Away Market Share From AMD, now sells 80 percent of dedicated GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    And here's me thinking AMD was gaining market share.Hopefully RDNA 2 is a big hit.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's very hard for AMD to fight and be winning on two fronts. On the CPUs side they did a fantastic job and that train will only keep on rolling, remains to be seen if they can do the same in GPUs eventually.

Embra and Maddness like this.
  4. Cidious

Cidious Guest

GPU:
    6900XT + EKWB
    I think there might be something else at work here. Namely console chip production and development getting higher priority than Radeon cards due to higher margins. AMD is still not in a position that it can throw a bucket of money on some development just to be first or just to get it done for brand name and value. They still need to choose their development strategies very carefully and focus on the markets and products that generate most profit for them. Although I do admit that in the end they can't stay absent from the DIY dedicated GPU market like they did (hence Big Navi) the development here didn't take priority (hence they are late AGAIN). Big Navi should have come out just after the release of the 5700XT but clearly their development budget wasn't big enough at the time to get it done as they wanted so they stayed absent and pushed it all forward. Now console chips are probably the biggest profit makers in the short term future so they get priority. Luckily this development will trickle down to our beloved DIY market eventually. So cards are due to be released possibly mid November following the latest 'rumors'.

From a marketing and business perspective it all makes sense. But for us consumers it has been a dreadful long wait.

patteSatan likes this.

5. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    "They" are not fighting on two fronts (don't imagine this company as a "monolith" - these very big companies are like monsters with many heads each of them acting individually): the CPU and GPU are two different divisions inside the company so it's not like the same people who are responsible for Ryzen CPU's are also responsible for developing GPU's. The problem for AMD - I said it before and remain by my opinion - are the people inside the GPU division...- especially the top management - the GPU team needs a refresh if they want to achieve some results and take the fight to NVIDIA and Nvidia IS NOT Intel by all means so it would be very difficult but with the right people they can do it...

OnnA likes this.
  6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Hmmm, it's almost as if AMD has not sold anything high end with actual stock in stores in the past eternity. And the "high end" items which there was almost no stock of, ever, were priced to play along with nVidia. Gee, who could have possibly predicted these results?

7. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    The problem with JPR is that to see how they collected the data and based their case for their sum up report, need to pay almost $3000. I wouldn't touch such reports as reliable when to validate how they conducted the report requires money and is not publicly available.

They could be using Steam survey for all that matters tbh, which is not a reliable source.

patteSatan likes this.
  8. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    With this complete market dominance from Nvidia and the fact most PC gamers looks down on console...yeah Ampere won't be cheap guys, pandemic or next gen console will have no impact on those new card price...

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Wonder if the drivers hurt AMD sales?

itpro likes this.
  10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Still think AMD has something special up there sleeve for the next GPU, the chip in the PS5 console running the unreal engine demo was working just dandy and managing stuff consoles have no right to do am going to wait and see I think AMDs keeping itself to itself on this on purpose until Nvidia releases its Cards, then I think we will see the fireworks start from both sides

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    DX-R, DLSS, ... did due to way they are marketed as next-gen, savior, ...
    Even people buying RTX 2060 believed they'll be able to play maxed out game at pixel perfect image quality. I expect rude awakening with RTX 30X0 cards leaving 20X0 series in dust.
    As far as things go, PS5 does not seem to have RDNA2. More like RDNA1 with custom changes.
    MS apparently went with RDNA2 with minimal changes.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even if nvidia sit on their asses doing nothing amd could take years to gain share and thats with rdna2 being successful.

Crazy Serb, sbacchetta and Fox2232 like this.
  13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    That first graph is really interesting: how did AMD had bigger share than NV in Q2 19 and Q1 20 (16-15% and 17-16%). How is this possible? It even says PC GPU, so these numbers don't include consoles. Is it possible that so many Ryzen-based notebooks were sold?

14. sozuoka

sozuoka Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 laptop 8GB
    PS5 uses RDNA 2 too. They specifically said that in their hardware deep dive presentation (and AMD confirmed too).

15. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    I think in large part, it is a matter of product diversity in each performance/price tier in the current market

High-end:
    NVIDIA: 2080Ti - 2080S - 2080 - 2070S - 1080Ti
    AMD: 5700XT

Mid-range High:
    NVIDIA: 2070 - 2060S - 2060 - 1080 - 1070Ti - 1070
    AMD: 5700 - 5600XT - Vega 64

Mid-range:
    NVIDIA: 1660Ti - 1660S - 1650Ti - 1650S - 1660 - 1060 -1650
    AMD: 5500XT - Vega 56 - RX 580

Simply, customers have more options available to choose from for a specific price range for NVIDIA cards.

16. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Amd played safe. It gave rdna 2.5 aka rdna 2 enhanced to ps5 and XSX, left pc waiting for rdna2 and rdna3.

Nvidia cared for pc gamer, gave us much more technology and a plethora of gpus to choose from. They won.

They made their choices, Jensen beats Lisa in ceo skills it seems.

17. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I have waited for my Ryzen 3600 since AMD FX 8300 and it payed off.
    And I will wait for a new AMD gfx cards with my rusty 2nd hand GTX 970 and it will pay off as well.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What makes me stay away from and stop recommending AMD full stop are the continuing driver issues.
    I dont want to wait a year or 2 before the drivers work properly.
    I had to sell my 290x after 1.5 years because the drivers were terrible for me and were not getting fixed, I gave AMD a good go, but they drove me mad.
    Then over the last few years I saw people with new AMD cards have terrible problems still.

Until I stop seeing so many bad reports of problems I wont even be looking at their cards.
    I dont mind what anyone else does as long as I dont have to deal with it, its their time and money.
    That doesnt mean NVidia get free reign to march all over the consumer though, and they also have screw ups including the huge amount of 2080ti hardware failures. I refused to touch the 20xx series.
    But I know this, I hardly have any issues with NVidia cards whereas AMD drove me nuts due to drivers both times I gave them a try again. Only my first card, an X1800XT, was awesome.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sad to hear and I really hope that AMD focuses on their drivers with the RDNA2 release. You're right about 2080Ti HW failures and I've had problems with my card as well (I'm on my third card, though for other RMA reasons) but at least I've not had driver problems.

itpro likes this.