Elon Musk Confirms Neuralink event this Friday, Brain-Computer Interface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Basically the last sentence, "
    I'll stick to the keyboard and mouse if you don't mind."

This guy is nuts.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  3. It is like something from a science fiction movie, but it is not.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    He's definitely out there but definitely on or above Steve Jobs level of visionary. It would be cool to see them help out paralyzed people. In reality, what do they have to lose?

schmidtbag likes this.

5. smashmambo

smashmambo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    If I remember right he did mention he had people working on something like this in the Joe Rogan podcast. Honestly I thought he was just joking around at the time.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think more of darpa contract.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    While the idea of a surgical implant as such might be nice for someone that is paralyzed, who will be the test subject and who will willingly pay up if things go south?
    My bet is that Mr. Musk won't be the first to get such an implant himself.

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Of course not, but there are likely many people who would volunteer for this.

schmidtbag and Luc like this.
  9. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    There are many people using cochlear implants nowadays for hearing and this solution could be very helpful to someone with paralysis or another illness.

I won't worry too much until I see a youtuber with an implant to control the RGB something...

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Just about everything Musk has done kept affordability in mind:
    • He made electric cars a viable option while keeping luxuries at a competitive price
    • The Falcon rockets re-use some of their most expensive parts, while being able to carry larger payloads (making each launch much more cost-effective)
    • Starlink is supposed to give high-speed internet to those who can't even get dial-up, again for a competitive price.
    • Solarcity has been driving down the cost of equipping homes with solar panels.
    The only business he started that doesn't seem to favor affordability is the Boring Company.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    In a certain way, this is exciting and troubling at the same time. Exciting because of the potential for medical applications and troubling because sooner or later Google, Facebook, Neuralink and many others are going to abuse this like crazy!...

Our inner thoughts are right now the only place we have that no one can "spy" but it seems that it´s only a question of time before we lose our last bit of privacy...

The near future is starting to scare me...

Fediuld likes this.
  13. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    People already share their whole life on the net :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Fediuld and toyo like this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some...

Fediuld and Luc like this.
  15. DEADPOOL3980

DEADPOOL3980 Member

GPU:
    980 4gb
    This is actually pretty cool and I did see this in a movie along time ago the movie was a bout 2 homeless guys who got mistaken for test subject the chip gave them languages skills martial arts skills and weapons training. Although it is an interesting concept

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Enter the singularity...

17. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Most.
    Even the very reluctant types, like me or maybe you, still share an incredible amount about ourselves if you want to discuss anything related to real life. To discuss COVID for example, I had to let go I am a radiologist in Romania. To discuss various cultural issues, I had to let go my general location in the country as well, as it was relevant. Add to this profile completions, date of birth, phone number in various accounts that require one, it's really a near mission impossible to keep private these days. If somebody wants your data, it will get it, even if you lie about everything, even if you're 24/7 on a VPN, even if you use TOR on top of that. Plus, most of us likely use the web for money - at least a card to manage, most likely buying stuff, paypal, a donation to some project, a received payment for some service or product you sold.
    Your life is there. And with the really young people, they put everything online, which is insane after all the steps we older gen X types went through to camouflage online and remain anonymous. Can't turn back the clock that's for sure. Endless leaks and info dumps, and people simply don't care.
    A lost fight.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I'm on about the risks of a surgical implant in it's existence connected to a humans most valuable belonging, not quite sure how you add affordability into that.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, that's everyone's choice. FB does not have my cellphone, nor date of birth or place. Nor written place where I live, but they track my cellphone. There is no denying that.
    Some people here know my real name. (As I do not hide it.)
    I do not consider myself to be anonymous on internet. Nobody is. But practically nobody knows my personal live events and private details.
    Sure, if FB traded data with MS and google, they can start profiling me. But there are almost no photos of me which could be even used to identify me in crowd on any platform.

What you write about is digital trail that leads back to you as physical person. But here it is talk about real privacy. On FB, people carelessly share information about their friends, family, ... Something those would rather not share.
    Digital trail is no different than neighbor knowing your name. Invasion of Privacy would be neighbor watching you sleep without your consent.

Fediuld likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I know, and my point is he wouldn't bother investing in this if nobody could afford it.
    Most of the expense is in the research. Should this actually rehabilitate people, the cost of surgery is nothing compared to the long-term expense of special care.