Signs of herd immunity

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alanm, Aug 26, 2020.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A ray of light?

A Brazilian city where the dead bodies of coronavirus victims had to be piled up in refrigerated trucks may have reached herd immunity against the disease without a lockdown, scientists say.

Manaus has witnessed a sharp but unexplained fall in Covid-19 cases, deaths and hospitalisations — despite a lack of control measures, suggesting the coronavirus has naturally fizzled out...

...unlike the majority of Asia and Europe, the city never imposed a lockdown, strict social distancing rules or enforced face masks...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-piled-refrigerated-trucks-herd-immunity.html

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you mistake immunity with the dead not infecting the living.

Passus and anticupidon like this.
  3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Please lock this one too before the misinformation gets out of hand. I don't understand how you can all be so procreating stupid.

We already have our first confirmed reinfection, which he got again after only 4 months. Good luck with your herd immunity.

Brasky likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    With all due respect, I agree upon thread lockdown.
    Let's avoid the unnecessary drama.

5. "Drone images captured bulldozers digging mass graves for Covid-19 victims"
    - heartbreaking, I cannot express how sad that is... I pray they survive this, it sounds like hell in there.

Yeah, that gentleman in China, they did note in those news articles they need more time to gather information, still, it looks that way

EDIT:
    Who is to say people cannot have immunities while others can get infected at the same time? How is that impossible? This has happened before with HIV & other viruses has it not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2020
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  7. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    In before lock!!!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nobody said that, its just really rare for innate immunity to exist, even if it is known to happen.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Honestly, at best this tells: Each wave will kill 1 in 500 people. That's nothing good. This thing moves wildly in summer. Do not underestimate its effects as winter nears.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there mixed message going out and has been from day one, and till everyone is on the same god damn page and things are mandated with consequence which in of it self will cause problem nothing will changing. it infuriating how unchecked this this in the states a good chunk popluation dont want to wear mask or do other thing that reccommend, and schools didnt even open yet. last i heard florida had open there schools then shut them down with in weeks cause huge spikes in out breaks. what they think is gona happen when rest of public schools open shortly?

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It could get nasty this winter if people get double hit by Covid and the flu. That could really slam us healthy folks hard as well.

But things are somewhat stable now here in Norway. Infections rose after the holidays thanks to people who just had to travel to southern Europe so they could sip their precious margaritas on a beach.
    It's all about special little me and what I want and deserve these days anyway so no big surprise there. Don't get me started on this.

But I can't remember the last time we had a person on a ventilator or in the ICU. So the isolation of the weakest elders and other vulnerables seems to be working. But I know they must be so depressed not being able to see their family except through a window.
    They're taking one for the team, you don't see any of them demanding to travel abroad. I suppose growing up in a post-war society taught them the value and necessity of solidarity.

Mask are still not required here but they encourage use on public transports.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I would have thought that any living organism would have a biological directive of some sort, to survive a pattern of repeated assaults and to adapt a resistance to whatever is attacking it.
    Example: harmful bacteria develop a resistance to the same anti-biotic if used repeatedly. A species to survive would have to readjust and defend itself on a biological level, if the attack is of a biological nature (viruses, bacteria, etc). Therefore hoping covid may end up as a non threatening illness after a lengthy period of time. I can dream, cant I? :D

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Problem with bacterial resilience is coming from short life span => High rate of bringing in next generation. Those who survive antibiotics are bit more resilient. And as they multiply, they create resilient "offsprings".
    There will be people with higher resistance and worse resistance after encounter with virus. But in human population where we target survival of most (instead of survival of fittest), we can't expect such dangerous virus to turn into flu like (less fatal) encounter naturally within dozens of human generations.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hope that this thread will not locked down of someone will start discussing anything political.
    Please, stick to science or related and think that people are not their opinion. Keep an open mind.
    Now, only time will that that herd and immunity will develop for real and how long will it last.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    118k deaths as of writing this (over 10% of total worldwide deaths)..... somehow I don't find this story encouraging or up lifting in the slightest. Sure the future will hopefully be better but look at the cost it has taken to get there..... you can't even measure that.

16. Understood, yeah I had a hard time wording that question... thanks for clarifying. :)

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you can't handle the conversation leave the thread.
    Don't try and mute others.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well there is some to discuss. Anyway it still wreaks havoc mostly in Americas and Asia right now. Europe will be hit again soonish tho. We here in Finland are doing relatively well. Saying it as "virus" when it soon is the thing that kills most people in a year in US alone is kind of moot Heart diseases not withstanding and well cancers are not just one disease. So being third with those two is not something nice.

19. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Seems reinfection within same disease season is possible, and antibody titres tend towards 0 over a few months. Large Spanish data paper in Lancet I believe had low rates of societal immunity and even healthcare staff only 15% had antibodies at time of testing.
    The time for antibodies to approach 0 depends on how ill you were during first bout of illness.
    Everyone chasing vaccine but actually no conclusive evidence around any adaptive immunity being demonstrated, though some decent mechanisms proposed for novel vaccine theory.

This will probably be around comfortably until next year, and depending on international management, this may or may not become new seasonal infection, so we may well be approaching the new normal for living. Be safe all.

Fox2232 likes this.
  20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    A yet to be peer reviewed study shows a man from Nevada being infected twice, and being significantly worse the second time. These are 2 different mutations of the virus.
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3681489

There's also reports from Hong Kong, Belgium and Netherlands showing the same thing.