Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2019.

1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Can someone who has played the game and DLC let me know when I should be starting the DLC? I heard there is a nicer flow in story if the DLC is done before the main game is finished? I am about to start "Heart of the Nora" main quest soon.

XenthorX likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    First of all, the DLC content is relatively end game (30/35+ level ?), and harder to complete than the main game quest: I would suggest ending with the DLC but nothing prevent you from exploring the DLC content beforehand.
    The visual change diversifiy the experience and there's a couple fun sidequest available. My favorite NPC character is from a DLC sidequest.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    60 is pretty good I'd say. You get 60C when the GPU load is 99% in those other games? I personally don't play at 4K since I don't like the dips below 60 but when I've tried playing at that resolution, I'd say I got around 62-67C (depending on ambient temp) but in my case I've undervolted my card, use a more aggressive fan curve and the GPU load isn't always at 99% during game play.

What settings are you using? Ultimate? In that case try Alex @ DigitalFoundrys settings. I use them (though a bit higher) and they work well.

Isn't that really difficult to tell? I've seen ppl get 80C temps due to small and dusty cases, or ppl that just have high ambient temps. Feels like case, GPU or CPU temps is one of the hardest thing to compare :)

Strange that this error is only 4K related right? At 3440x1440 I never get this problem.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    XenthorX likes this.
  4. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Only 31 hours in and have never experienced any crashes so far. Patch wise i notice no difference but they need a performance patch to sort out the stuttering.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    The DLC is level 30, and I am level 33 with 3-4 more main side quests - but okay, I will leave the DLC for last.

On a side note though, its the first time I thought I wasn't enjoying a game before I opened up Steam overlay and noticed I had already sank around 40 hours into it. It will be a shame once I finish it.

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Yeah, I’ve never had it on my 3440x1440 monitor either, Always happens when playing ar 4K on my TV though.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Same here, actually closing in on lvl 40 and not sure how much left I have but definitely want to save the DLC for when the main game is over.

Hope the next patch fixes this.

XenthorX and anxious_f0x like this.
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    You'll not be disappointed to finish the DLC after main game, there's really a difficulty step up, thought it really felt satisfying and natural to finish by the dlc.

Netherwind likes this.
  9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    The dlc issnt Level 30. It’s just the main mission (in the games case it’s a side quest), to get there. The next quests you get there are like in the 40s. But maybe that’s scaling because I started the dlc around level 50.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone else feel that the fps goes fairly low when battling these "Rockworms" or many machines at once? I guess it's what DF would call "Alpha effects" or "Transparency effects" and lots of particles at the same time?

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Alpha transparency and such effects, vegetation as another example but modern games love fancy particle effects.
    Haven't gotten to Horizon Zero Dawn yet but many games works as examples for this like Ghost Recon Breakpoint and the drones.

[​IMG]

From a quick search it looks like the Rocking Worm here in this game uses a mix of smoke particles possibly also smoothing edges and such via shaders instead of more obvious clipping and also a lot of rock particle effects.
    [​IMG]

(Particles as a 2D texture might not be too GPU heavy but the smoke, shaders for smoother transparencies and also interaction like shadows and lighting will be a bit heavier.)

Netherwind likes this.
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Game isn t optimized enough said

13. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    We will have to wait 3 or 4 years to play this game decently.

14. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    that bad in performance ?

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    If you are realistic with settings according to your hardware level's specs, game is performing quite smooth.

Netherwind and Undying like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If a 150$ rx580 can push 1080/60fps at high settings how can someone consider that such a bad port? What did you guys expect, running on a 750ti maxed out?

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The port indeed isn't great but it's not that bad. Just like someone said, tune your settings accordingly or use the recommended settings by Digital Foundry. I use their recommendation with a few tweaks and it runs great.

18. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    RTX 2080s still stutters work that one out.

19. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Makes no difference.

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I played on 5700XT and an i7 3770k@4.4Ghz, 1440p mostly ultra settings, no AA, game ran fine, played fine.

Undying likes this.