Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    forests felt off, way off. deserts were acceptable but nothing really unique about em. the lower\closed levels felt more like Metro.
    the semi open world formula worked for a while and it went downhill till the end of it. i expect the next game to be even more
    open when it's ready and that's a no-go if it will be the case. despite everything Exodus was a beautiful looking game.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Finally found all the Diary notes in The Volga, just got a couple of postcards to find, and its complete. :D

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    angelgraves13 likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

Two comments:

G5
    ツ Nah man on higher difficulties the caspian is one of the most deprived areas, you only get maybe 2 bullets if you’re lucky from a locker or crate. Most of the unmarked areas with loot have like one ammo crate to search but like 6 beastmen running around or if you’re unlucky it’s the ones that are proximity triggered. Plus the beastmen take so much more damage, their headshot hit box is a bit broken too so a gunshot or throwing knife doesn’t always even instakill for a headshot if they are trying to blend into the environment if they’re against a wall.

qwormuli5
    @G Really? I'm currently 60-80% through Caspian on ranger hardcore and I'm constantly full on ammo and trying to avoid the max cap of both scrap and chemicals. And I'm using an automatic weapon as my other main gun. The trick is to not run and gun + having an economical tool for most situations. All of the stationary humanimals you can onebang with a trowing knife (and all stationary, unaware and non-armored targets) whenever feasible. Midrange you can silently headshot most muties and humans with tikhar. This is also the cheapest gun to use of them all. If you need to go loud, use a long range and a close range weapons for your choices to avoid waste - I currently have a bulldog fitted for range(don't waste time with the suppressor) and a shambler for CQC. Close range weapons fall off in damage quick, but using an auto weapon from close up leads to panic spraying your resources in seconds. Oh crap -muties, like the demons, you can kill in just four good shots using tikhar's fire ammo. Revolver is also a great choice for range, with it's accuracy and damage. The valve is an incredibly expensive overkill I still haven't found a use for. It costs literally five scrap and a chemical for a single shot, while the high damage gets wasted 90% of the time. The ak is ok, even if overshadowed by it's comparisons. Bastard get's ruined by it's comparative stats to the ak, but using .44 ammo, which is clearly balanced for revolver use, instead of for automatic. It's expensive and with the drum you can carry only a single full mag(!). Ashot is good before getting shambler, but the two shots often leave you short, due to the propensity of getting swarmed and two -banged on ranger. Also, wasting heals and filters is for stupid assholes. Those two are the uncontestedly most expensive things in the game. Heal only on bad autosaves and in need. The easier difficulties are just child's play on the resource side. I ended my first Caspian playthrough on some 1500 and 1300 (about. Can't remember accurate numbers as it was a year ago. Also, no material caps back then) of the respective materials without knowing the missions, weapons or locations. I was playing the second hardest difficulty, as no ranger hardcore back then. The biggest difficulty spike to me comes from the better awareness of mobs and the fact that everything 2-3 shots you, which happens awfully fast with automatic weapons and laser accuracy.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  6. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    So the game is immersive because of some secondary things, and if you compare it to some completely shallow and moronic games; Rage 2 and FCND.
    What a BS.

cerebus23 and ramthegamer like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This is called a matter of opinions, isn`t it?

8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    "The Two Colonels" DLC is story-telling at it's finest with gameplay to match, awesome experience.
    Sam's Story is good too, but the above, left an unforgettable impression when one realizes where one was, battling what, after getting caught up in the action.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    DannyD likes this.
  9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    rage 2 is shallow, and the graphics are so bad on that one aswell

angelgraves13 likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was. One of the worst disappointments ever. Would play Rage 1 anyday over it.

ramthegamer and angelgraves13 like this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I agree. It failed to get me immersed. Metro Exodus got me immersed.

Kolt and angelgraves13 like this.
  12. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    There are rules that you must follow if you want to make a good game. Some devs follow these rules, but many/majority don't.
    Sure, there are opinions, but there are also low standards. I like to use Skyrim as an example: in this game you can kill the Emperor and then join his legion, even though they know you are the killer. This is a case of bad design, aka not following the rules. But many people think this is ok, and many never even noticed this. Opinions!?

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Rage 2 had some great shooting and was fun 'overall', but I completely agree it was a let down and barely had me immersed as much as I just enjoyed running around shooting crap. Rage 1 is definitely better as an overall experience.

14. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    this is an example of amateur narrative, not low standards and i respectfully think your opinion is inaccurate.
    Skyrim is not and was never intended to be a narrative heavy\accurate game, much like Oblivion. while you call it a low standard,
    i actually think that Skyrim not being heavy and accurate on the narrative, makes it exactly what it was : an amazing
    game in his own territory. go out, explore, craft, don't pay much attention to the main narrative, level up, use mods, rewind.
    the problem begins if you don't have a clue what your product is going to be. Skyrim didn't have that problem, but i sure can give you
    better examples than what you posted... take Anthem, take Andromeda. devs wanted some things without imagining how
    the final product is going to look\be and that's the best way for lowest standards. the bugs, glitches, broken terrain ( Bloodlines, Skyrim )
    or the clunky combat ( STALKER, Skyrim and tons of others ) is the least of a game problems. the biggest one is if you glorify it as something,
    for example how they posted Andromeda as a massive space opera, and people expected something in return. that's low standards for me.
    of course this is just me writing what i think here. im sure others will disagree.

btw.. you can find tens\hundreds of examples in a good solid quality games, where
    the narrative is amazing.. yet very inconsistent\inaccurate in some* parts. it doesn't mean low standards
    at all, you need to judge each on its own. i found those inaccurate\inconsistencies in my
    most favorite games ever and it's still fine.. all depends how bad and how repeated it is ( Bloodlines, Witcher series, ME series ).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  15. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Really? How do you know what Skyrim was intended to be? You are insider?
    What about the fact that previous Bethesda games are way better with much less inconsistency and contradictions. Btw, this is not about heavy narrative, it's about design. Your quests do not need to be heavy narrative to have meaningful design. The best example is Oblivion which is not heavy narrative but has excellent quests and characters that people remember even today. Also inconsistency level in Oblivion is minimal.
    I can accept some small level of inconsistency. Devs simply can't explain everything through narrative/design. But what they did in Skyrim is ridiculous, and they continued with this crap in F4.

You know i have designed a heavy narrative quest with the Skyrim SDK. It took me 10 days to create it, it's heavy narrative and has choices/consequences/branching. It's better than any Skyrim quest. The only thing that is partly missing is obviously voices.
    It's an excellent tool, but Beth simply doesn't care about single player - since Skyrim.

My favorite games have very little inconsistencies and bad design. You have mentioned The Witcher series. In TW2 when Geralt is falsely accused to have killed an Emperor, he goes to jail. Then he escapes it, but he must hide through the entire game, etc. This is how you properly design it.
    We all know that TES games are not heavy narrative. But they are heavy lore and have these huge worlds, civilizations, etc. There must be consistency here.

cerebus23 likes this.

16. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    insider ? not at all.. just a player with lots of hours in it. how do i know what Skyrim was intended to be ?
    by playing it for years ? over and over turning every quest, cave and stone till i discovered every detail in the game ?
    same goes for Oblivion, Fallout, Witcher, Mass Effect and other famous titles. Skyrim worked, i don't think anyone that played
    it can deny it. the bad design you mentioned exists, but it's not the definition of low standards at all. that's my only
    point here. Witcher didn't have inconsistencies ? Fallout ? Mass Effect ? sure they did, every one of them had.
    Skyrim was just more obvious and out there for you to see it. in Mass Effect ( my favorite trilogy ever ) you had
    inconsistencies hidden in the great narrative. same goes for TW3, the writing and narrative is fluid and A class,
    but you have inconsistencies in a lot of quests. the example you picked in Skyrim is simply the opposite of
    hidden.. its just out there in your face so its easy to pick on it.

an example. in Mass Effect 3, while a lot of people disliked it ( the endings mostly ) i find it a top notch game in it's narrative, much like the first two.
    in one conversation Adm.Hackett tells you - "you can't fight the reapers with conventional tactics". on Rannoch, we aren't even given
    the option to choose and Shepard decides to take out a Reaper on foot, pull over, and fight it by the most convensional tactic
    that was ever created. lol. this is a classic example to hidden inconsistency that the player needs to pay attention in order to
    see it. and those things exists in plenty of great games.

if the game has a huge world, lore and lets you explore the hell out of it, rewind and still keeps you invested ( much like
    Skyrim for me ) than the consistency of the narrative is the last thing that interest me. Skyrim was exactly the opposite
    of Mass Effect or The Witcher and its false to even compare them, because in those 2 titles the game was all around
    Geralt and Shepard and the characters in their personal story. in Skyrim no one gives two ****s about who and what
    you are after you picked a race, and the game was about crafting, exploring, leveling, and doing a LOT of C grade
    quests. Skyrim did that wonderfully.. and as much as i hate Bethesda today, i will always remember Skyrim as a
    masterpiece.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    A code suggestion for game studios:
    Code:
    if(UserName == "S.T.A.R.A.C.")
    {
        Ammo = Ammo * 4;
        MapMode = "Tunnel";
    }

:cool:

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Caspian, love this part, only got the 4 postcards to find, must have got all the diarys on a previous playthrough.

Love setting the Nappies on fire, and watching em breakdance :D

ramthegamer and mbk1969 like this.
  19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Your Mass Effect 3 example is not inconsistency at all. This is typical example of narrative placeholder which has nothing to do with the choices. And if i remember correctly Adm.Hackett never fought reapers, so how can he know how to properly destroy them!? In any case this can be considered as Adm.Hackett wrong evaluation, wrong advice, suggestion, etc. This is what people do in reality too.
    But in reality you will not kill an Emperor, King, or a president of some country, and then walk around and communicate with the people like everything is ok, even though they know you did it. Ok! This game is full of this crap, including the main quest.
    Try to contemplate this.

Question about insider was rhetorical, obviously. If you were one then you would be aware of many things concerning Bethesda.
    Like for example that Skyrim quest and narrative designers were the people who are not qualified for this job. In this game 3d and texture designers were the people who did it.
    Also in the Skyrim folders there is so much unfinished stuff. The reason why is the decision of the people at the top to set a date when the game will be released, aka 11.11.11. So for these idiots their free-masonic numerology (11.11.11.) was more important than the state/quality of the game. This is the reason why Skyrim is unfinished/shallow/full of holes piece of s*it.
    Serious dev teams like CDPR never do this; in fact as you know they delayed TW3 many times because it was not ready for release. The same they do now with the Cyberpunk.

And btw, do not compare shi*ty Skyrim to the games like TW3. You probably don't remember this but even CDPR have negatively criticized it.
    Maybe you like these "superficial masterpieces".

20. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    everything in your last comment looks like your own definition of inconsistency. i disagree with your entire argument and explanation so i can't add anything useful here.
    TW3 is amazing, Skyrim is amazing, Mass Effect is amazing. those are my own opinions w\e you feel one of them is superficial that's fine by me.
    i don't really care what CDPR said about Skyrim because it's irrelevant. i have enough hours in the game to think about it myself. btw, you are mixing a lot
    of information about Skyrim\CDPR not related to our original argument. i never said skyrim was a perfect game, and every twelve years old who played it,
    can relate and tell you bugs\glitches\unfinished stuff were in there. it's still a masterpiece to some, and superficial to others. since this is a Metro topic i feel like i took enough topic space already with comments not related so il stop here.