Flight Simulator 2020 is expected to generate 3 billion in PC hardware sales

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    microsoft level optimism here. If everyone bought the game here need to spend an extra 1000$ on hardware, is a giant fail.

3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    If I'm correct this game only uses 4 cores/thread well the rest are doing nearly nothing.CPU scaling is a joke in this title.
    Will there be again new 4 core CPU with higher boost frequency and higher IPC?I've thought we have left these behind finally.
    Right now RTX 2080 Ti is the king of the hill, would Ampere give us at least +100% performance compare to Turing?Because right now we are looking at at least double the performance to get this DX11 thingy usable.
    What sort of new hardware should we get for it exactly?
    First of I would implement DX12+DLSS+better and more thread use as a start after we can talk about new hardware:cool:

Kaarme likes this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Needing $2500 of hardware to achive 60 FPS maxed out 1080p...

Yeah, that's going to sell well.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Playing devil's advocate here, but wasn't crysis the same back in the day?

But in all seriousness this does seem like an insanely un-optimised game. It is insane that the top card can't hit 60fps at 1080p, at 4k I can get it but yeah just seems a bit of a mess sadly in that department.

I'm a bit confused about the streaming part? Why can't you just download the game as it is in the images? Sure it might add another 100gb, but be nice to have a choice for those with slow Internet speed. I know you can have an offline mode but side by side the places do look quite different

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    is not that DLSS is useful here. DLSS is useful only when msaa is the bottleneck.

The game is heavy and probably need a different engine. People buying 3090 level of hardware to stay at 60fps are really few and won't reach the 2.7 bilion of dollars.

Also i bet it sold 2.7m copies, including game passes, meaning that is not all sims enthusiasts ready to update the pc for it.

More likely they will try it again when they buy a new pc for other reasons.

Devid likes this.
  7. Jefry_st

Jefry_st Member

GPU:
    Vega 8
    Very bad optimized game. I'm disappointed

8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    If you want to try it, xbox pass thingy is only £1 for the first month. I subbed, to try it and cancelled at the end of the month.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    With the exception of multi core support, DCS is making some good use of resources with the new Syria map, im seeing all of my 11gb VRam being used at 4k and 24gb - 26gb of RAM being used.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I downloaded the 90GB (or more?) over weekend and noticed a few things during install and after played around with it:

1. The way it downloads the extra 90GB after initial install is very badly designed - it literally has a live 3D image running the entire time it is downloading so your GPU is actually running 30-99% while it is downloading (so using power for no reason, and taking away from everything else you need GPU for during this time eg other games)

2. Game is a bit glitchy, buggy still - it sat on blank screen after download finished... i had to go back and forward to get the initial config screens to appear.

3. The game as far as I can tell is pretty unusable or uncontrollable using keyboard/mouse - sure they work... but throttling up/down and turning or any control surface is unusable using the number pad system - i was only using the simple trainer and other turbo-prop and could not control plane at all - end up spinning uncontrollably every time and crashed multiple times... was having 911 flashbacks as red lights flashing and computer repeating "pull up, pull up"

4. Tried my old Saitek AV8R-03 joystick which was designed for flight-sims, but it was not recognized by game beyond it recognizing name and showing a picture of a control stick with big question mark in it, not sure how to get it to work.

5. Tried the tutorial modes - how to takes off etc. and found them extremely frustrating - she tells you to do something but doesn't explain at all how to do it. I had to constantly go back to the control pages to find out what the keyboard command was to do what she told me to do. Where in some parts they did tell you what key combination to press, in others they didn't.

So yeah i did immediately have a look online at yoke prices - and surprise, surprise - they are all over €200 at least. The flight-stick/yoke makers are going to make a killing I'd say now.

But yes at least it looks good! And I didn't notice bad frames rates - no idea what actual were, but seemed fine to me. And I am only using GTX 1070

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Il never buy it even though i have a full HOTAS set up and Track IR, nobody would ever playa flight sim via KB and Mouse

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well I guess this is what someone is counting on it seems.

13. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    I guess they'll know how big the market is from previous similar games but I'd think there will be a lot of people similar to myself who paid $1 for game pass, flew around a few places they know and then got back to what they normally play.

14. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    well i played the msfs 1.0 with keyboard and no mouse. in CGA. Was ok.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

People said the same bullspit in 2007, 2008, etc.

People are just whiney ass cry babies.
    I love when games criple current hardware.

16. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Agreed. Games and especially simulations should push past current high-end hardware so they are a reference for the future. They should not be some crippled cut-down which is designed to work on current low/middle end hardware.

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I might get a new joystick for this game. So that's only like, $2,999,999,950.00 to go.

18. thesaiyan

thesaiyan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Pew pew boom boom!! those are the only fun things then ;)... under that point of view, then racing simulators are also boring because only need for speed and arcade stuff is fun...

19. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    I think the engine is a reworked version of FSX from 2006. That's why it's DX11 only, and that's why it can use up to 4 cores only.

Devid likes this.
  20. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Well running it I get all 8 threads maxed out. I'm running at 7500x1440 and a 2080ti does a fine job at max settings, it only chuggs a little close to ther ground in crownded cities.

Not really sure what everyone is bitching about.