Photos of Flagship GeForce RTX 3090 Ampere Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    1070 was 375$ or 285£ when it was released so you see where this is going. 4070 would be pretty much a 800$ in few years.

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    2080ti did have an MSRP of $999 but most cards cost considerably more due to high demand and the additional costs with fancy cooling and custom boards. You still could get one for $999 if you managed to find an EVGA 2080Ti black card. while almost always out of stock online, my local microcenter had them almost every time i went there.

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    While there was a 7900 GTX single GPU card back then, all of the dual GPU cards were indicated by calling them GX2, not GTX. Also, dual GPU cards back then were not on the same PCB, but two PCBs sandwiched together. IIRC you'd have to go back to voodoo cards before you'd find multiple gpu chips on a single PCB.

I had to refresh my memory on these cards since its been so many years and came across this.... i nearly fell out of my chair.

Fediuld likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And it used molex power connectors. I hated those things, they were ready to burn at higher currents. Those wires are nothing to write home about too.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Depends on competition, But they will not be more than $100 off AMDs closest equivalent (excluding top tier). When AMD came out with 5600xt, NV even reduced the 2060 to slightly lower, thus forcing AMD into a last minute bios adjustment to be closer in performance.

Furthermore, as nodes shrink below 7nm, cost of chip design will be much higher. Both AMD and NV will caught in this and will be reflected in their product pricing.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    12-Pin seems to be as big as an 8-pin.

[​IMG]

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, good thing the 3090 isnt a 3080 ti, and is more comparable to the titan rtx, which is $2500

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Not AMD issue but motherboard manufacturers. All remember the screaming when AMD said PCIe 4.0 on X570 only, with Gigabyte/MSI/ASUS saying "we will support it regardless" here is the bios.

So how's AMD fault when said there shouldn't be 4.0 support outside X570 and the motherboard manufacturers doing their own thing? And all issues gone when people forced pcie 3.0 or patched to bios (after end of October) which removed the 4.0 support and fixed the issues.

Would we see the same sht with Z490 boards when Intel says "Z590 for 4.0 only" and motherboard manufacturers go and activate 4.0 on Z490? What then. AMD would be responsible also? How about Nvidia if they come out with 4.0 card and had issues with the Z390 motherboards? Would be it be Nvidia, Intel or motherboard manufacturers issue?

Why also the 5700XT Evoke is the card that reported most of the issues which were gone when people went to the drivers and changed the Voltage Swing and PreEmphasis? (on the Display section). But only this card.

I had no issues with the 5700XT AE (X570) but my brother did with this B450. Until listened to me and forced 3.0 on bios. Gigabyte should be condemned tbh here.

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    No these are new because of the RTX3000 series, and Nvidia won't supply them :)

So not only you buy an expensive card, you need a special cable to power it AND make sure you plug 2 separate 8 pins cables from the PSU and not from a daisy chain one.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I find that hard to believe, that Nvidia won't supply them. Surely they will come with the video card. It makes no sense otherwise. The outcry would be very loud.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Is it just me that thinks the founder editions for the 20x0 series look like VHS tapes?

Caesar likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Source that they aren't supplying it.

14. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Huh, seems you do not understand the technical part of the 12pin connector.....

Nvidia has seen themselves as the new Apple. Enjoy. :D

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...gaming-graphics-cards-12-pin-power-connector/

Maddness likes this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Another stupid rumour that cant possibly have legs.
    If I cant plug it in, wtf am I supposed to do with it?
    lol.

theoneofgod and Maddness like this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I chose an itx build this time around with a 650w platinum, i could have gotten bigger but just not interested.
    A 3070 will do CP2077 and Control with RT maxxed at 1440p no problem, damn it!:D:oops:

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I agree, I'm highly skeptical even though there is a link saying no adapter. This would really be a dumb move not to include it with the cards.

Mufflore likes this.
  19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nvidia not providing the cable, not sure about that.

However, needing a specific cable for the specific PSU you have?

That i can't see reason to.

If you are combining two 6 pins to make the 12 pin, no matter which PSU it is, those 6 pin pci-express connectors are going to have the same pin layout. So what would be preventing the cable from working? Thickness in the wires? Maybe? But then how would a psu that can't deal with a straight passthrough work at all?

The GPU is going to require what it requires no matter the PSU...and if that can be converted from two standard PCI-express connectors, then it'll be the same no matter the PSU....the limiting factors would be if its a multi-rail PSU, which rails the two are on, if different, how many amps those rails can provide, etc...nothing to do with a specific converter cable.

IF, for some astronomically unknown reason it is tied to the PSU, which again, can't see reason to, bur IF it is, this connector is dead in the water before it began

Solfaur, pharma and Maddness like this.
  20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    A non-overclocked aftermarker 3080 would be fine on 650w platinum superflower thoughts?
    coupled with 10700k @5.2 lol