Marvel's Avengers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 20, 2019.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  3. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So has no-one been playing the open beta then?

I have been playing since last night and for most of today. The game is... a bit disapppinting... to be honest. It feels a bit generic and bland in terms of game structure and mission design. It starts off okay with a very cinematic but linear tutorial mission across the Golden Gate bridge for a few wow moments where you switch between four different Avengers for a few minutes each followed by a longer section with Hulk. While the destruction and carnage is impressive and the graphics not that bad (don't forget to download the 18 HB HD texture pack for improved visuals), it is the repetitive combat that ultimate lets it down. It just feels so uninspired. You just mash buttons and dodge until all the enemies are dead then the mission ends. You pick another and your team then repeat until you get bored.

Each Avenger you play levels up very slowly and you also unlock new gear that really doesn't feel that rewarding to earn. The game feels very grindy; some enemies seem to take ages to kill and overall it comes across as inspired by Destiny. Although the beta is very generous in terms of content, most of the missions start to feel very samey. Most of them are set underground in boring labs that all look the same except for slight variations in the way they are laid out. The game sometimes does not explain what you're supposed to do very clearly; for example, I kept failing the tower defence style missions until I realised that I had to keep dashing between the three control points until a counter reach 100%. Some of the missions can literally only last a few minutes (this on Normal difficulty by the way). Other missions seem ridiculously hard as the game throws dozens of enemies, drones and wall-mounted guns at you (and it is still hard on Easy as I found out). I really hope there is more variety in the final game. The most enjoyable missions for me were the ones set above ground in more expansive environments where you are given a bit of freedom to explore for collectibles and stuff. The underground labs grow tiresome very quickly. Not sure about the story, the game starts off as if it missing an intro cutscene then seems to forget the story in favour of a game structure where you pick missions from a world map.

The game also initially ran very badly for me on maxed out 1440p settings with an unlocked framerate on my 165 Hz G-SYNC display with near constant stuttering and wildly variable framerates due to the sheer amount of destruction and enemies that can assault you and your (up to) three other Avengers team mates. Even on the Lowest preset, the game struggled to run smoothly. I then capped the game to 30 fps using RTSS and suddenly the game was running perfectly with no stuttering or slowdown during the gameplay sections!!! There is some stuttering and slowdown during the inbetween mission and menu screens but the game is loading in the background here so that is to be expected. I was actually surprised at how well it ran in-game. Yeah, I know it's 30 fps and not for every PC gamers but it felt as smooth as a console game for a change and was fine for me when played with an Xbox One Elite v2 controller. This is on maxed out settings as well. It seems to me that this game is not very well optimised above 30 fps but then again it could just be my ageing PC, I suppose?

Not an awful game, just a mediocre to above average one with some moments of fun (outdoor missions plus Hulk are pretty entertaining to be fair). It needs a fair bit of polishing up though; I had a lot of crashes when alt-tabbing to the desktop or using any kind of overlay (Steam or RTSS) but otherwise the game runs stable. I did see some clipping issues (two Avengers standing inside each other during an elevator loading sequence) and at one point Hulk almost fell through the ground until the game quickly reset him. Those and the poor optimisation make me a bit worried for the full release which is only two weeks away. Not sure if I will be buying this but I probably will at some point if not at launch. Glad I got the chance to try it but unless the full game has more variety then I can see this can stale very quickly.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    XenthorX likes this.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i have played the closed beta and i think Nvidia missed this game like they still got no driver for it

i couldn't get the game to run smooth 60fps for more than 5 seconds even with the heavy graphics options turned off like Volumetric lighting and reflections

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    beta's don't perform well.

who woulda known.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    2080ti cant reach 4k/60fps on low settings so yeah..That was the headline on dsog.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Is it a CPU issue or an engine issue? GPU load is 100%?

Wasn't able to install the game (steam issues it seems).

Edit:watched footage, clearly GPU limited, gameplay doesn't suit me at all.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    honestly, its a square enix published title using god knows who as the studio, its probably a lack of culling and an overuse of light sources.

oh gods, its crystal dynamics and nixxes are handling the pc port, expect it to run as poorly as tombraider 2016 until they get to the 5th patch.

10. 43C on 2080TI? During hot summer? That has to be in an air conditioned room... or in Canada :) I also have fully WC PC, have 28C in room currently and GPU goes up to 46/47C.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    well i had the fans running a bit fast during that gameplay :p

3xfans on a360rad + AC running 22c room ambient

XenthorX likes this.
  12. AC running and 22C ambient.. well, that explains it I guess. But overall 43C and 2190MHz on a 2080TI, that's what I call a win in the silicon lottery! :)

btw. I use NexXxoS NOVA radiator (or it's predecessor to be exact, I have it for many years now) with 6x120mm NoiseBlockers running @ 600rpm for the whole PC.

kx11 likes this.
  13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Performance was acceptable until i got to the open snow field level. Then it tanked. Maxed @ 4k. I was getting ready to stop playing at that point anyway. I had no intention of buying this game, just miss the days of having demos so I downloaded the beta and played longer than I thought I would. It's the epitome of generic. It's essentially a hack and slash as Avengers. Nothing about it sticks out. Graphics are decent but nothing amazing (and PC supposedly got the PS5/Xseries graphics with the better LOD and lighting). Still have no intention of buying it. The beta did nothing to sway my opinion. Maybe if it's like 19.99 on a steam sale.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Copy pasta form what i wrote in another thread:

I have been quite disappointed from what i have seen regarding the Marvel game. The gameplay felt generic and lacking a ton of polish: for instance the "getting hit" NPC stance were extremely generic, didn't felt good like the Arkham serie does in melee, or Like Control/Quantum break does in range weapon.It seemed to rely a lot on the soundtrack to sell the experience - you cut the sound and the flaws are all there: underwhelming camera management, average character locomotion,...

The game does look good with a strong art direction, but the experience seemed underwhelming.

moab600 and Serotonin like this.
  15. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How else are they going to make money from this free to play video game?

XenthorX likes this.
  17. Can they at least give a guy/gal the courtesy of a reach around when they're procreating us in the ass?? noo... all 10 of them... what in the heck now that is excessive especially after delaying after delay after delay. Christ, I hope this game tanks for sake of precedent. Seriously, frack em'

Sorry for my language but this is disgusting.
    Oh that's easy, charging $59.95 for it and doing every hard-working developer who spent their time making it a solid by selling copies instead of turning people away by pulling this stupid kind of crap here they know turns people off.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    You summed it up pretty well, it's way too generic with Avengers skins plastered on it.

As it stands now the game is a sure skip.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That was the joke, this is not a free to play video game.

I guess now it's a wait for the complete version of the game once they have finished adding back all the cut content.

20. Crap ... yes you are right... I ran head first into that. I was like (huh it went free to play???) :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

KissSh0t likes this.