Photos of Flagship GeForce RTX 3090 Ampere Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I am very curious to see how well that fan setup works.... provided that this is not a fake of course.

The price (if true) sucks, but I would not be at all surprised if they do indeed charge that much. Even if I could technically "afford" it, I cannot justify it, especially now with people close to me being out of work due to the pandemic. I'd rather get a GPU for half that price and then use the rest to buy them groceries for a couple months or more. :(

Evildead666, Fediuld and Maddness like this.
  2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I suppose 1400 is expected minimum for this next-gen card. Have to see what it can do first though. I don't think it looks too bad TBH. And I prefer function over looks definitely. The push/pull fan configuration is probably much better than current one-side-only sideways blowers.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia would never gimp themselves the way amd did.

The Nvlink connector is not easily visible directly from the back, but the cover is visible if you know what you're looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

False.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Regular ATX boards and cases have 6-7 slots, why shouldn't two of these fit ? Unless you buy mainboards where some slots are simply not preset to keep cost down.

Evildead666 likes this.

5. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    At these prices I'm simply out. The 2080 Ti is also an extremely bad card when you take the price into consideration. When just the GPU costs more than the whole machine a few years back just to play at similar settings in newer games the deal is bad. Not to mention that current CPUs are bad as well, either causing too much heat or bottlenecks. For 4k CPUs are ok, but I doubt that even the 3090 is good enough for that resolution considering today's performance.

Fediuld likes this.
  6. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I personally don't care about the looks, functionality and performance matters to me more . Yes it's big , I understand the design , the pcb is not that much bigger just shaped differently to allow air passing trough , interesting design .
    As for the pricing .... Yes it would be nice if it was cheaper but at this moment I don't see any worthy competition so yes Nvidia can charge whatever they want , I can guarantee you that if AMD or Intel release something that can compete the prices will drop significantly . Sadly there is no competition right now imo .
    I am waiting for the AMD cards to be released hoping that they finally achieve competitive performance then I will decide what to buy .
    If I have to pay big money I will , but that does not mean I want to , I just want good performing hardware .

7. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Didn't the 2080 Ti hae an $999 msrp? Coming down to 1200-1300 EURO in practice. A 1399 Msrp would be like near 2k haha. We really need some competition. This crap almost makes the 2080 ti look like value!

Legacy-ZA and Fediuld like this.
  8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    On mainstream platform only the first 2 slot at BEST are wired to the CPU lanes directly and only for the top of the range boards. The bottom slots are wired through the chipset at 4 lane link alongside everything else. Many at 1x lanes. So trying to use SLI like that wont work.

You might argue how about riser cables. You need 2 as card size blocks the second slot. However you need to watercool BOTH the cards to fit on any case. I have yet to find a case where can fit 8 slot vertically as it would need to be 1m wide. Even something big like the TT P5 can only fit 1 such card vertically with 3-slot cooler.

9. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Member

GPU:
    1070GTX
  10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

11. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I will never buy an EVGA ever again, perhaps some background?

When I bought the GTX1070 FTW, it arrived without thermal pads on the memory, they got very hot, eventually, the card did die, so much for their "build quality" this on their top model too.

• Did I get a full refund? No, only half. ($275)
    • Could they swap it for the same card? No.
    • Did they try and swap it for a better card? No.
    • Did they offer me an inferior product with no warranty? Yes.
    This after doing research on how well their supposed built quality and after-sale customer support is for failures and returns. Today I am still stuck with my old GTX660Ti that can barely run my 1440p monitor due to their crap, to say I am pissed off is an understatement. I caution anyone to stay the hell away from them. I will stick with MSi in the future, I remember when one of my cards I ran in SLi failed before the warranty ended, I had the option to get a full refund or the option to upgrade to something better.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    If they're going the same approach than last time, it makes unveil and preorder 1st September, on shelf end of month.

Meaning october is gonna have all nvidia stack at war with RDNA2 + AMD new CPU available ?

[​IMG]

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They didnt until the 3090.

Fediuld and Evildead666 like this.

16. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I know a lot of people who are basically afraid to go into BIOS, some don't even know what BIOS is (or even reddit). This specific issue sort of implies that AMD either did not tested navi before release on anything other then top end boards or they knew their cards had issues and decided to release cards anyway. I am sure someone else figured out workaround, but is it misconception?

You are also talking just about 1 issue when there is a lot of other issues across their "supported" and "new" hardware
    From my experience, only with AMD I have/had to choose which drivers to use based on how severe issues are. Thankfully, my only AMD card atm is iGPU and I am planning to keep it that way.

17. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I owned a couple of AMD / ATi cards in my day, the HD 6950 for example... the driver support was extremely horrible during those times. Although it would seem that they have vastly improved their driver support these days, I am still extremely shy to give them a chance, considering what I once again saw with the 5700 series.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    3 slots, size... it's like 450W cooling.
    What you owned with HD 6950 was error in judgement in terms of VLIW4 GPU. Only desktop chip from VLIW4 ever existed. Then they were in APUs, but VLIW4 was dead on arrival.
    I built system around that time. And I decided to wait till HD7970 got out as I knew VLIW4 was dead technology and big mistake.

Cousin wanted new system at that time too and he was not willing to wait for GCN. So I did advice him to get older and cheaper VLIW5 as it at least had driver development done for years.

If you had trouble with RDNA1, they were PICNIC or HW issue of particular piece you got.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  19. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I paid £489 for a 2070 Super FE, which seemed OK, certainly it's the only Turing card* that made sense price/perf wise to me. £600 seems like crazy town for a xx70 class card.

edit

*RTX Turing card. I forgot about the GTX Turing cards.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Very strange question.
    A cooler removes the heat from the core, larger coolers can sink more heat. Case air is replenished.
    Look at the final power use figures to determine the heat load.
    Dont forget, heat is concentrated in a smaller area on a smaller process, this is a lot harder to remove.

Having said that, I dont believe the cooler is going to be as large as those images suggest.

Aura89 likes this.