Download: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2020.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HAGS is basically a gimmick at this point, regardless of what card you use. In some games, it makes no difference at all. In some games, it provides an improvement within margin of error. In some games, it provides a noticeably negative impact. So, unless you want to have to worry about enabling and disabling HAGS constantly, it's best not to demand support for it at this point. Probably better for AMD to work on fixing the current list of bugs before introducing more, new ones.....

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Exactly this, also people demand it, without knowing there isnt any difference in games.

-

Lots of new games in the next 2 weeks!

Maybe we gonna see some more fixes.

-

HAGS support probably December.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    itpro likes this.
  3. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    The difference should be with low-VRAM cards. That is why lots of users with older cards that support HAGS in hardware want it. Yes, the difference with high-VRAM GPUs is barely noticable, even if there is a promise of more performance in the future.

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    B*llsh*t. There are no current acknowledged gen gpus with low vram. Previous or current which sold with low vram gpus are not eligible for proper gaming situations at all. Office work, solitaire, pacman, Youtube etc, is OK. HAGS will not make a weak rig, into a powerstation for fluid gaming. La fin.

5. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    "With only two cards and two games, I can't draw a hard conclusion across the board but we can see a tale of two different expectations. High-end enthusiast cards with plenty of VRAM to go around seem to not be impacted at this point, that could easily change over time as this is still a very new feature. BUT, if you're a bit more down the rung and your card has less VRAM or is in the entry to mid-range when we see the GTX 1650 SUPER gain 7-8% performance in Gears Tactics and 8-9% in Forza Horizon 4 there's no denying that this update gives graphics card users in that range a welcome push upwards in performance."

https://wccftech.com/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-performance-with-turing/

Users were also reporting better frame-time consistency on cards with plenty VRAM, where average FPS didn't change.

https://i.redd.it/ke7phmp3s9851.png

HAGS should also help in (very uncommon) situations where the game is CPU-limited.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Or on user...

Jouven likes this.
  7. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Under Windows 7 64-bit AMD Radeon Software freezes when lunching and will not open (only title bar appears). Ending Radeon Software task and re-lunching a few times occasionally works. This happens with 20 edition drivers, while 19 edition drivers used to work fine. As advised here, I reported the problem to AMD, but I received no reply. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You said your problem on your own. The culprit is unsupported Windows 7. Upgrade to 10. There is no way any software engineer will gonna provide you technical support officially for a dead OS.

Undying likes this.
  9. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Unsupported Windows 7? Who says so? You or AMD?

Quoting from release notes (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-2):

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.8.2 is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.
    • Windows® 10 64-bit version
    • Windows® 7 64-bit version

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I totally understand it is hard to let go of something you know but really win 10 is fine once you get used to it

Direfield and OnnA like this.

11. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I use Windows 10 at work because I have no other choice and I can't get used to it.

12. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireRX6750ΧΤ
    The only thing causing instability for the last 3-4 months from AMD GPU drivers for my case at least (Sapphire Pulse RX5700) is that the custom clock/voltage/power limit/fanspeed profiles don't remain applied after a system reboot or sleep and wake procedure.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the Wattman loses it's s..settings on sleep mode is something I hope AMD can resolve properly at some point for those using sleep/hibernation/fast boot modes instead of going into the settings menu and re-loading the profile to make sure it sticks or re-applies when the software thinks the display driver crashed or how it's otherwise listed.

Stability wise the data sent through the PCI bus and DMA I think it was is also a bit heavier and is potentially one reason as to why the GPU's are more prone to crashes and stability issues that are actually part of the RAM configuration and instability including XMP settings or the infinity fabric for the Ryzen CPU's and AMD motherboard including the newer Zen2's and 500 series mainboards. (Which while improved can still be prone to RAM instabilities.)

WER or the event logger should log this as a recoverable error code 19 something I believe as a recurring event that can be used to identify this particular issue and then lowering RAM speeds or adjusting voltage and what not as to actually resolve the problem. :)

Much of this is just from reading though I'm still learning things and figuring stuff out or partially at best really because it's pretty complex and there's a lot that's very far above my own knowledge level and skill here.

HD64G likes this.
  14. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    Wattman doesn't lose settings on sleep or hibernate. I regularly use sleep. Wattman loses settings completely randomly. Sometimes it works fine for weeks, then all the settings are gone.

HD64G, MaCk0y and JonasBeckman like this.
  15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Fair enough mate

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What part of 10 can you not get used to?

17. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I can't get used to any of the visual changes in Windows 10 and the fact that to do or find almost anything more steps are needed compared to Windows 7. And of course I can't get used to the idea of sharing information with Microsoft.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    https://wpd.app/

Off topic.

OnnA likes this.
  19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    There are solutions to all of the "issues" you've mentioned... I would start with StartisBack and OldNewExplorer....and W10Privacy....

Look... I also loved W7, but this thing is in the past..... and even though AMD states the support for 7 ....I bet that nobody does the full testing on 7 and instead all the resources are being thrown on fixing issues under W10.

....it is..... like comparing it to a patient in a hospital, deadly sick and attached to life support.
    Only the family is scared to pull the plug... but there is no chance the patient will be healed.
    Time to move on even if it hurts at the beginning...

Passus likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What exactly are you trying to do that takes so many more steps? Pretty much everything you need access to regularly is available within 2-3 clicks....