Apple has removed Fortnite from its App Store

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2020.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Poorly coded, full of bugs (even now that it was released long ago, spend lot of money for only skins, not original, lambda squeleton and design even the dance are not original...
    My tall one (15 Yo) think the same... but play it daily... when i ask him "why do you play it then?" he anwser "i don't know, i don't know how to play other game..."
    ... damn Y generation lol ...

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah it is a lot of money but it still doesn't give Epic the right to refuse payment.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what exactly did epic think was gona happen when they bypass it? i surprise google isnt in on the sueing of them, cause there both losing profits by they by pass the micro transactions threw there store.

not that care terrible game terrible genra imo, but peoeple seem eat up those shooter type games, that and micro tranastion in game needs to come to end game where so much better before that crap. and dont even get me started on parents that let there 8year old play shooters like this or even CoD.. the whole 8year trash talking kid on halo back in the day is why i hate Chat in online game. and parents the parents that buyand let there kid play games not ment for them.

I can understand DLC for addon content story/missions etc, but not for endless reskins and characters and stuff like that that use to be easter eggs and secrets in games

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They knew it was going to happen - they did it on purpose. They launched a lawsuit immediately after Apple blocked it (literally all this happened yesterday) and had an entire video in the game ready to go that recreates Apple's 1984 commercial:

5. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    and so did google.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i know i saw the new yesterday and i was like "what did they think was gona happen" again i surprised google didnt do the same, but from what I reading google kicked them off too

7. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I dont understand how people are so anti apple just because Google and Samsung told them to be. Apple has faults, but they are much better to their customers compared to comparable companies overall.

8. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I think its probably more tencent involved in this, I dont like how they went about it. If they just removed the game themselves and then explained why I would be a little more receptive.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that Google is also a victim of Epic undermining payment of Micotransactions to them as well hence Fortnite was removed from the Play Store as well but to Android users it is not that big of deal since those users can go through Epic to download and install the game. I don't get it either. In this case Apple is not at fault here.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I said else where I will say it here.

Epic is playing game and want to see what they can get away with. I also sure majority of money they getting from transaction is coming from Console/PC platform and that is huge chunk to begin with.

an in case it hasnt been mention sony take that same 30% epic is complain apple takes. Microsoft probably takes same from there store on consoles

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020

11. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I agree. If it is in the contract.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Just to be clear the case is definitely more nuanced than this.

Epic tried to partner with One Plus/LG to get it's App store preloaded on phones - Google moved to block this. But in the meantime it allows Samsung Galaxy Store to be preloaded on Android phones - mostly because Samsung has clout. The lawsuit against Google is mainly about that and not micro transactions and payments within the game itself.

If Epic builds it's own store and wants to partner with Android manufacturers on making that store a preloaded app, it should 100% have the right to do so.. no matter how shitty the store is or how much we hate Epic.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Obstruction of business

14. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Epic really turned into a bad company. What happen to the great games EPIC had Unreal Gears of war and we cant ever forget them pulling the plug on Paragon. What a disgraceful company. Now they want to cut into steam market on selling games while trying to split the community with certain games not coming the Steam Division 2 etc. Apple isnt any better.

15. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I think they're just going where the money is that. Fortnite is a money train and the only really notable title from them in a while. They want a piece of the digital distribution market that Steam had pretty much on lockdown until Epic decided to challenge. I mean, I guess you could ask the same question of Valve as well. Why aren't they churning out awesome games like they used to? Are they a bad company just like Epic because they changed trajectory?

It's weird that people still love Steam for their platform that moved them away from their core competency as a games dev. They love them so much in their current state that they hate everyone else that challenges them. Convenience I guess, but Steam is no white night. They want your money and they got it for all these years. They have the most devoted cheerleaders defending them every step of the way too. Think about it...

Embra, sykozis and WalterDasTrevas like this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Don't know how you got that but thanks, i'll have a good read (just reading the summary made my subconsious say " yes Epic Games, go for it ! ").

Epic Games is nailing game as a service like no-one ever did before: i'll go as far to say that they're opening a new way for gaming, delivering AAA quality product for free, on every plateform.
    You might not like the art direction of the game, the atmosphere, but Fortnite is a technical marvel in a lot of ways. Electronic Arts/DICE/Activision/Blizzard/... Better up their game fast.

The whole Battlefield Conquest game mode that DICE has been milking for 20 years could be a weekly gamemode of Fortnite at this point.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Just for info: Google kicked Fortnite from his store today too, for the same reason than Apple.
    Also for Europe there is the new microtransaction system from Epic that are in the target of some country, as it violate European law... (old system were OK for everyone btw)

18. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    This is not how Epic did it though, they gave the in game buyer the option of choosing either apple or epic, the epic one was cheaper of course because of the high 30 % Apple put on top as they had a monopoly.

Epic inserted some market forces but of course Apple store is Apples cash cow.

The only way you can defend apple here is if you agree with monopolies and consumers paying over the odds due to that.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That actually kind of sucks. I don't play Fortnite much, I pretty much only did ever on my phone(iPhone 11). Good little time waster with the nephews and friends.
    I wouldn't call this a monopoly, considering if you don't want to use the App store you can always go the route of choosing a different platform. Of course Apple takes some cut of app purchases, but realistically you have to think that in order to sustain a system with so many protections, you need to raise money somehow. Now I'll be the first to admit, 30% might be a little high of a cut, but there are other platforms available app developers can take their apps to on Android for example. Apple is also pretty fair in giving highly used or downloaded apps some spotlight as well. I'm not defending Apple in their practice in this, I think this is totally unfair for Apple to do but this doesn't exactly qualify them as a Monopoly.

itpro likes this.
  20. Dyseman

Dyseman Member

GPU:
    RX-6800XT 16GB
    Sounds like Epic broke contract with both Apple and Google that they've signed. Apple/Google not at fault (Regardless of % charged. It's what was in the deal to begin with)
    Sounds like Epic broke more than that, now players that used the service to initially play the game will no longer accept Apple/Google Payments and must go through Epic to continue to get updates
    Sounds like Epic will get no new players on Apple/Google unless they sideload. Most people will not even try and forego to a different game.
    Sounds like Epic made an Epic mistake.

just my opinion.