Samsung Announces Availability of its Silicon-Proven 3D IC Technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung announced the immediate availability of its silicon-proven 3D IC packaging technology, eXtended-Cube (X-Cube), for today's most advanced process nodes. Leveraging Samsung's through-silicon via (TSV) technology, X-Cube enables significant leaps in speed and power efficiency to help next-generation applications including 5G, artificial intelligence, high-performance computing, as well as mobile and wearable.

Read more

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Does the technology involve some kind of microscopic heat pipes as well? I always thought stacking the stuff on top of each other would lead to critical problems with heat. Even low-power processors, like those in smartphones, generate more heat than the device can handle, which is indeed a problem with phones. Really low-power stuff in special devices doesn't even need that much processing power or memory to begin with, so I imagine they can be made with any technology no problem.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @Kaarme
    A modern processor has many sections and components in it's design. It's possible to identify witch produces more heat and place them on the top layer so they can be cooled efficiently.
    Generally speaking I think I/O produces less heat and can be stacked under the work house of the silicon.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Hasn't Texas Instruments done this since the Cortex-A8 days? Sure, maybe it didn't pack in as many features, but I thought some of the earlier OMAP CPUs were stacked.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes they call the 3d IC tech "PowerStack" which they started shipping IC's made with PowerStack in 2011.

6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070