16-core AMD ZEN3 Vermeer Sighted Running 4.8 GHz on Boost Frequency

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 6, 2020.

1. We're assuming a lot in both cases. One that the uptick is accurately IPC based and as much as. Also don't expect Zen 2 CCX latency in Zen 3 but expect latency by in nature of the technology. I agree with the above @Fediuld to post. I agree Intel will likely be in an operating frequency pinch unless something changes. Still, 6 Ghz seems steep but perhaps reality hasn't sunk in yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2020
  2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Zen 3 has no CCX latency as there is 8 core CCX/CCD not 2 quad core CCX per CCD. :p

3. Color me impressed... that’s great and I holy cow ok I see where you’re coming from reg. earlier post more so now... damn...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2020
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a 16 core Zen 3 has 2 Chiplets, CCX latency still exists.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    8 core gen 3 is going to be the AMD sweet spot for gaming.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Sure is sounding like it! :) All of this has me beginning to wonder about Zen 3 threadripper. My goodness can you imagine?

Fediuld and Kool64 like this.
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    depending on how many cores it has you'd have 2 3 4 or who knows how many CCXs so that would increase latency. However it of course be able to plat 100 games at the same time if not for the Vram unless you buy a $3k(or more) next gen Titan

8. Lol that’d be an interesting setup chances are I’d end up just window shopping. I need to run my setup into the ground after what I paid for it before the next upgrade but I’ll be interested in the content creation reviews... most definitely :cool:

9. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Yeah. But what about 16core
    And if it is going to be an 8core/16thread building block from zen 3 , i guess we can't expect zen3 to be that cheap like zen2/zen+ were.

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    You are confused what is CCX and CCD.

Between Chiplets/CCD latency is tiny, because the CPU drops the speed of the whole CPU to the slowest core of the slowest chiplet and that is happening on all core heavy loads. (eg CB20 multi benchmark, rendering etc)

CCX latency is prominent on light loads, like gaming, greatly affecting their performance when the Windows Scheduler moves the threads around between CCX0 & CCX1 of the CCD0. Activating CPPC on BIOS (by default is off) it forces the OS to keep the load to the same CCX and only when more than 4 cores are needed for that application the second CCX is used.

With Zen 3 this is gone and is the main reason of the 20-25% IPC improvement, the second is that the 8 cores of the chiplet/CCD share 32MB+ L3 instead of 16MB each 4 cores.

Bear in mind, Windows 10 scheduler is pile of poo. Even single thread application like CB20 single core benchmark it bounces between 2 cores and some times splits it between 2 cores at 60/40 ratio.

Linux on the other hand with CPPC ON works far better even in gaming as it handles amazingly well the thread scheduling.
    Especially Vulkan games I got 15% higher performance between the same game (which is using 10 cores) let alone graphics look better. And that with both 3900X and 3950X.

mohiuddin likes this.
  11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No I'm not, but you sure are, CCX latency isn't gone.