RTG: When will we get IQ features for DX12/Vulkan?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Aug 1, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Vulkan and DX12 have quite matured by now. AMD should provide settings for both of them.

Textures are texture regardless the API. I cannot understand why AMD left those untouched.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Here is another example. We know that driver level AF can look better that what's available in Modern Warfare 2019 (DX12).

However, you have reviewers like Digital Foundry telling people to use driver level 16x AF for Horizon Zero in the drivers.
    Oh what joy the hearts and minds of those who bought a Radeon Card will receive when they find out that AF is only for DX9!!!!!!

Start watching at 8:36

It's foul ups like this that create a negative image for Radeon. Luckily for AMD Digitial Foundry isn't aware that AF only works in DX9 or they would tear Radeon to shreds for such an oversight!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    The description in the AMD driver control panel btw. is wrong, forcing AF works for D3D11.
    But it doesn't work on Navi for D3D9, so more like the opposite of what the panel says.

I once created a topic about forcing AF for D3D12 at AMD forums and also asked them multiple times via feedback form to implement it, but nothing happened. Similar goes for Nvidia and Vulkan.
    Whoever decides such things in driver teams: They're doing it wrong.

4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Forcing AF in DX11 titles is also working fine here. Didn't tested it under DX12/Vulkan yet

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, so not only does it not work in DX12 they didn't properly label AF in the drivers? oof is all I can say.
    So we can now say AF works in DX11 however, their explanation for AF in the drivers is labeled wrong. Which can be fixed within minutes.
    Now we still need AF working in DX12/Vulkan, because I don't see any difference in Modern Warfare, Division 2 (DX12), etc.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Question is if implementing it for D3D12/Vulkan would take significantly longer than a few minutes, as it were just few lines of new code for RADV, implemented by a single developer out of courtesy:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=3871dd7a92624675bd45d9d596bbe34c33d7bb4d

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Changing the wording in the ? that explains what the feature does is something very basic.
    However, making sure that AF is working is something only RTG can answer. As it's not clear what it is they did to disable it. IE: There is no technical reason why AF isn't working in DX9 either mind you.

It does draw concern if AF is actually working from within the game itself. As not all games call it AF but texture quality, etc. Only through a comparison between Radeon and Geforce will we know that answer. But at a guess I wouldn't be surprised if "in game AF" wasn't working as good if it's not even available in the drivers for DX12/Vulkan games.

But that's a guess on my part. I hope it's wrong.

As I hinted to before if the RTG invested in R&D in Trixx Boost that incorporated AMD FidelityFX using CAS and or Radeon Image Sharpening. That used a post processing AA think of the possibilities.

It could address both AA and AF along with performance all in one through the drivers.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    seems like forcing af is possible, the opensource RADV vulkan driver has an environment variable to force it. dunno if it breaks stuff however

(edit : seems to work as expected )

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I suppose they just didn't care enough for Navi. At least not long ago Navi D3D9 driver was in a bad state in general, lots of games showed severe slowdowns that weren't there with Polaris.

AF works as expected when the application requests it, forcing via driver is an entirely different story.

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I would still like to see a comparison though. I'm not implying that it wouldn't work. Just not as good as it should.

The reason for my skepticism is that this isn't the only feature that isn't working.
    They removed Video Profiles from working with FireFox with no explanation as to why. And removed 'Custom' options for 5700 users. Those options are available for Vega owners.
    vega: https://abload.de/img/2020.03.19-23.390xjq7.png
    5700xt: https://i.imgur.com/62xQt90.jpg

They removed the option to global toggle cache without having to go into the registry. Again, with no reason why.
    Ignore request for a ULPS toggle (which is in MSI A/B btw)

There are a few other features I don't recall but it's becoming an obvious trend RTG has been doing. When you add IQ features that no longer work in DX12/Vulkan you now have a hay barrel instead of a few straws.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I feel the same way regarding them neglecting basically every bonus 3D rendering feature they have/had in their driver, that's really bad practice.
    Though I can assure you that I haven't noticed any differences in AF quality between Nvidia and AMD when the application requests it. AF quality is also very good in general since Vega which is easy to test with this tool: https://www.3dcenter.org/download/3dcenter-filter-tester

Btw: There are reports of corruption with forced AF in HZ ZD, so no dice for Nvidia users too, if that's any consolation. :)
    Waiting for patches...

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I remember way back during the catalyst control center days you had a slider that allowed you to change the saturation (custom color) in 3D and Desktop.
    We've had what 3 GUI iterations of drivers since then? Yet, that simple feature was never returned. With Adrenaline you can change saturation for your game (3D) but you also change it for desktop. It's simple stuff like that they mess up.

[​IMG]

This goes way back since Vista were they said it was the OS that was the problem. This isn't something new. It's been happening for a very long time.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Radeon Settings... Global Display...Custom Color [Enable]...Saturation (and it's even a slider)

14. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    :confused: It was there for Adrenalin and it's still there for 2020 edition
    [​IMG]

You also can change colors per game via profiles
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Valorant running very smooth in 20.8.1.

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Sorry to burst your bubble but if you read the text you posted me to would see that its global. Not independent in game. Which is why I provided a snippet of the manual. Global started with vista.

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I know that. Even tried it and honestly can't tell the difference in game.
    Heck, the drivers crash on me while I was changing the saturation. Becoming invisible. It recovered and I had to alt-tab-del out of the game.
    When I did set it in game it also reverted to the higher saturation on desktop (Globally). So it's a bit buggy.

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    For forcing AF globally, you guys might want to submit a bug report, i dont think its the intended behaviour, it might just be broken for dx12/vulkan apps.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've already reported this. Thanks for the reminder.

But here is the problem. In Horizon Zero Dawn there is no AF, until they fix it in a patch. The issue is that we literally have to wait until the developer of the game fixes it because we don't have working AF in the drivers. This shouldn't be happening.

LINK:
    https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...c_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/8

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Are they seriously considering release a new graphics card with advance features they can only use in old DX9 games? Are they serious right now?