Making A Switch

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Obsidian_Oasis, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    Hi there, guys/gals.

I'm coming off from an NVLink 2080ti rig but with the constant issues with drivers, lies, and silence from the green, my sanity needs to be restored.
    I've been following the development of Big Navi 2 (or whatever its future label) and I must say, I'm very impressed and I am considering on pulling the trigger when its available soon.

My question is, how is AMD driver support? Will you stay with AMD and/or upgrade? AMD's customer service? Do AMD listen to feedback with a quick reply? Is there anything that I need to be aware of?

2. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Been on Team RED with a R9 390, and now a 5700XT, both from Sapphire. Drivers have not given me any annoying issues, other than some VA panel Freesync flicker in some game menus. (Not in the actual game, usually in games that force cap 30fps in menu)

Should RDNA2 be as good as I suspect, I'll upgrade and get myself a nice 4K@120 panel.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I run cards from both NVidia and AMD. I haven't had any real issues with either of them. I'll probably be sticking with my 5700 for a while simply because it does exactly what I need it to do and there's no real benefit to me upgrading. Have an RX470 in another system that has been problem free since Day 1 (as far as drivers and functionality).....and I've had it almost 4 years.

I'm actually kind of curious what kind of lies you're referring to in regards to NVidia...

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Ok, you want my "lies"?

1) Non-functional GSync compatible unless I ran the games in Exclusive Fullscreen w/ FSO disabled. Otherwise I had bad scanlines at the bottom 1/4 of the screen. NVIDIA Support just shrugged and said "Not Certified" Not every game worked, even with this work around.

2) Non functional HDR mode. What it DID do was offer a mode where color was oversaturated as the "enhancement", but had absolutely no gamma control. My HDR monitor did detect a HDR mode in use, but it was an oversaturated mess with no HDR gamma. Happened for games and madVR video playback.

3) Game profiles not applying or not properly. Too much time fixing game profiles with profile editors.

Those are my 3 biggest issues. All three were addressed switching to a 5700XT from a GTX1070.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've been running AMD (then known as ATi) since the 9700 Pro days, as well as nVidia cards since the GF2 MX400 days. Also ran CF and SLi cards along the way, I can say that initially, ATi/AMD did have some driver issues but I've not encountered any glaring issues with their drivers as of late, eve ran TriFire HD7970's without issues (other than a lack of CF profiles for a number of games).

With nVidia, it's just about the same with AMD drivers, sure there may be minor niggles with some drivers (same goes with AMD), but ain't anything to write home about. When I get into arguments about AMD vs nVidia driver support with some random nVidia fanboys, I'd usually retort with a 'at least AMD didn't release any driver that actually killed their cards unlike nVidia!' as a last resort.:p

But jokes aside, I find both have been releasing great drivers for the past few years now so there's not much that can be negatively said of drivers from either company.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, I was actually referring to the OP, but I'll take that.

8. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I run both companies cards and really each side kind of has their own issues here and there but for me personally I've really not had major issues. Maybe a few things over the years but nothing that's made me want to throw my PC through a wall.

9. Hi OP this is a little hard to follow; were these typos?
    Yes, there are many details surrounding Big Navi. They are impressive & with anything untested by third parties I'd add not to get one's hopes up just yet as more information is yet to follow.
    As with any release, some are stable others less so. It depends and with that said many people on these forums and elsewhere often will test and provide excellent feedback to that effect. You can often find recommendations as to which ones are considered the most stable at any given point of time. The same can be said for anyone. Intel, NVIDIA, AMD. Personally I've had good experiences with AMD's customer service and NVIDIA's. I think far as the response time with AMD it depends. Right now during COVID it may be less than the norm but others can probably provide insight as well. I have one workstation that I've used with FirePro graphics and have had great experiences with that over the past 4 - 5 years.

There's that quote "the grass is not always greener on the other side" no pun intended.