AMD Radeon GPUs have a slightly higher RMA rate than Nvidia GeForce

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2020.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Because reddit is the only source of the internet /s

Venix and moo100times like this.
  2. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    You can add Palit and Gainward together, same factory, same coolers. You will get clearly the highest RMA number.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    These numbers aren't really fair to use in favor of one brand or another a lot of AMD's returns where probably cause by the bad drivers making peoples screens go blank and then u have all the custom cards from various makers that aren't quite up to snuff and fail prematurely or are doa.
    I'm not defending one brand or the other just saying these numbers are fun to look at but don't show the whole story.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    a...are you telling me Reddit is not the front page of the internet?¿?!!1

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Weird, i've used a palit 680 and 970 jetstream before and they have been superb cards.

XFX/powercolor on the other hand though...

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    its still not good no matter how you look at it, AMD sell far less discrete GPU's than Nvidia (not counting iGPU or GPU's in Mac's).

Selling less and having more returns is not great, sure you could put the blame on the vendors, but driver issues can also cause people to RMA a card thinking its a hardware fault and not a software one those will get added onto this also.

I hope to god AMD has been working on a huge driver overhaul ready for "big navi" launch the last thing they want is bad drivers on or around launch. Lets hope we get another "never settle" update from AMD like we did back in the 7970 days. That driver update was probably the best driver update I have ever had from either company. Rumours are pointing towards Nvidia merging the nvcp with geforce experience for ampere release, which is a long time coming if you ask me. I think the new card from both companies will be close in performance but I am starting to believe that DLSS 3.0 will be Nvidia's smoking gun, unless AMD has a WORKING equivalent and not just FidelityFX.

Maddness likes this.
  7. Well, there was this:

Excluding cards shipped since Jan 2020. In Feb, ASUS stated they'd received complaints from customers regarding temperature issues with the 5700s. Moving forward, improved mounting screws were used to "increase cooler mounting pressure to 50-60 PSI, resulting in improved heat transfer from the GPU to the heatsink."

Eligible Products were/are
    • ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT series
      • 90YV0D90-M0NA00 (Universal)
      • 90YV0D90-M0TA00 (Taiwan)
      • 90YV0D90-M0CA00 (China)
      • 90YV0D90-M0IA00 (India)
      • 90YV0D90-MTAA00 (North America)
      • 90YV0D90-M0AA00 (North America)
      • 90YV0D90-M0NB00 (Bulk pack)
    • ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 series
      • 90YV0DD0-M0NA00 (Universal)
      • 90YV0DD0-M0TA00 (Taiwan)
      • 90YV0DD0-M0CA00 (China)
      • 90YV0DD0-M0IA00 (India)
      • 90YV0DD0-MTAA00 (North America)
      • 90YV0DD0-M0AA00 (North America)
      • 90YV0DD0-M0NB00 (Bulk pack)

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My previous card was XFX, the screen went black one day... and then it never worked again :<

Kinda wish evga made AMD video cards.

Maddness likes this.
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that was my experience with 1080 sjs,superb.
    but seeing the numbers it makes me hesitatnt to recommend them to people anymore.4x the rma rate means there's something wrong with either the cards or qc.
    why would you when there are equally good cards that have a 1% rate.
    power color rma rates are a joke.

evga has a history of f***ups
    I'd rather have sapphire make nvidia cards

there will be no dlss 3.0
    why would there be a dlss 3.0
    dlss 2.0 is already THE dlss nvidia wanted it to be from the beginning

lol o_O

4% on palit and 4% gainward does not add up to 8%,it adds up to 4% on palit&gainward

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Despite currently having an AMD video card, I am a long time Nvidia user... nearly all my previous video cards are evga branded.

I actually wanted a evga branded GTX 1060 but the crypto miners ruined video card prices so it was a bit much at the time of my last upgrade :x

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I've been an amd+sapphire user nearly all my life,but in 2015 I went with nvidia+msi (980Ti twin frozr 5) and I'm not going back,had 1080Ti trio and 2070 Super trio after that,will be getting a rtx 3000 from msi too unless there is solid evidence of rdna2 being good.I'm not buying into this hype train bs anymore.I waited for V64 and got burned,cause the card didn't deliver and cryptocurrency raised gpu prices in the meantime.

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    This and several others:
    Even for the worst, vast majority of cards work without issues. These are RMA numbers, the percentage of cards returned due one issue or another, and they're just few percents of all cards. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the rest or with the design.

It's not that hard, have people lost all basic logic capabilities?

Mindfactory doesn't sell Asus products, it's irrelevant in this context.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'd bet money that most of AMD RMA's are due to software issues, not hardware failure. Just look at the 5600XT, that card offered amazing price/performance value that was a total 1660 Super killer. But, they screwed it up so bad with last minute bios changes that the majority of people didn't feel comfortable buying one and I don't blame them.

Fender178 likes this.
  14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that not every 5600XT could handle the 14Gbps BIOS update either. Look at what MSI has said that the cooling capacity of their cheaper cards could NOT handle the extra horse power. AMD really dropped the ball with that BIOS update. So yeah I totally agree with what you are saying.

jbscotchman likes this.
  15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    You don't get to simply 'remove' a brand in order to achieve the result you want. The numbers speak for themselves. nVidia cards are more reliable according to a very pro AMD German retailer.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    And RTX 2080 Ti is the most unreliable card out there (this gen), but you don't see even a fraction of whine about it's unreliability compared to AMDs :rolleyes:

17. Hmm normally I'd agree but it does add to the title "AMD Radeon GPUs have a slightly higher RMA rate than Nvidia GeForce". I'll qualify it. If ASUS has a replacement program could other AIBs have functional problems with the series as well? It's a fair question given the above.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020
  18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I'm surprised the RMA numbers are not much higher. I know I have had several cards I should have RMA'ed but kept because RMA = bought NEW card, get USED/refurbished card + extra cost and hassle of shipping it back, often multiple times because they just re-ship you someone else's broken RMA (ATI did this 4 times (5 cards), Radeon 9800 Pro).

Example: My current MSI GTX 1060 3GB, I can not use the display port output. It just doesn't work well, causing black/dead screen at boot constantly. Should have RMA'ed, but just use DVI-D instead.

My old EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC card was unstable at stock (oc) clocks and had to be underclocked to be stable. Kept it to avoid hassle.

I'd say out of my last 10 video cards, 2 (ATI(actual) Radeon 9800 Pro and BFG 6800GT) had to be RMA'ed because they straight up failed, and 3+ more deserved to be RMA'ed but I kept them and worked around the problems, plus one ATI HD 5770 was returned for refund due to constant grey screen of death and I was not about to do the RMA thing with them again. So 60% crap over the last ~18 years for me. I dread buying new graphics cards. DREAD it!

19. Aaron123

Aaron123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070
    Bought an R9 390 when it first came out. Had issues with it for months with overheating, crashes etc until i finally filed for an RMA. MSI didn't have one so they sent me a GTX 1070 that i STILL own and enjoy. Best card iv ever had. I used to only rock AMD cards for years until MSI gave me this nvidia. Definitely staying with nvidia.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Who are you to tell me what I can and cant do? Sorry kid but I don't answer to your Nvidia fanboys'ism. Per my results AMD and Nvidia are about the same without PowerColor so move on you are in the wrong. The German retailer also left off a lot of Nvidia cards and whole brands like EVGA. So complaining about me taking one AMD vendor off is absolutely stupid. Anyone who looked at the data knows its not a systemic issue with AMD its simply PowerColor which was the entire point to determine all the other vendors RMA rates. If they were still higher I would have said so and would have concluded AMD had a larger issue.