AMD Radeon GPUs have a slightly higher RMA rate than Nvidia GeForce

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2020.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You are one of the 96% of ppl who had no issue with Palit. Did you not see the % rates?

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Reardan likes this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Came here for this. If AMD had more stable [Windows*] drivers, I'm sure the RMA rate would have been pretty even, perhaps even lower than Nvidia's. RDNA had a pretty rough launch.

* It wasn't great on Linux either but the Linux drivers got in better shape quicker than Windows', and, Linux users are kinda used to products not being 100% on launch day. Thankfully, it seems the RDNA2 drivers will be in better shape.

Maddness likes this.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I am wondering about that 5600Xt BIOS that AMD released that increased the speed of the card from 12Gps to 14Gps and some of their cards couldn't handle those speeds and I wonder if some users who didn't know if their card could handle that BIOS and flashed their cards to that BIOS and they started to have issues because of their card not being able to handle those speeds so they RMAed their cards.

Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  6. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    They are a big(gest) german HW store, but don't sell ASUS or EVGA for whatever reason. Galax is called KFA2 in europe as mentioned in the
    news. So the actual (fresh) RMA matrix is available under following link:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...sAk2kwKie-DaKplFyco7vwlw3ansFpjNstrpG/pubhtml

As the RMA not only covers defective cards, but dissapointed users as well - it's hard to get conclusive results from this. What surprised me
    actually was that the AMD numbers are not that much higher than nVidia's, while you can read a lot more users switching to nVidia because of (mainly) driver issues.
    The last properly stable driver from AMD was 19.12.1 imho, as starting with 19.12.2 they rewrote the whole software with new added features, and that was a really bad move, that hurt their reputation. But they (almost) reached that stability level again with 20.4.x / 20.5.1... :)

And don't forget the early issues of the RTX series with GDDR6 RAM chip failures. These "vanished" in the Super series, because the prod. process matured by that time... So i would say both sides had/have their problems - lets just wait and see what autumn will bring on the GPU front.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Please stop trolling. I did report you. I wanted to see if it was a particular vendor or it was due to AMD drivers etc. Looking at the data it is PowerColor as AMD actually has a lower RMA rate than Nvidia without them included.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Ohh, i'd never have guessed this kinda brand info would ever leak, waw!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidias RMA rate mostly due to the 2080ti. According to them "limited test escapes" led to some faulty cards. "Test escapes" usually refers to manufacturing defects in the GPU dies, probably due to wafer contamination at TSMC fabs. Still, Nvidia should have had more stringent quality control to weed out such occurrences.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Haha, how on Earth would you know that months before the launch? If RDNA2 brings RT and other new (for AMD) technologies with it, it's all the more pressure on AMD's long-suffering driver division.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, I don't know about Windows, but for the past few months there's been a decent amount of news regarding RDNA2 drivers in Linux. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean everything will be great on day 1, but it isn't all that common to be hearing about driver updates for unreleased products months in advance, so this is promising.
    But seeing as this is a successor and not a wholly new architecture, I imagine the Windows drivers ought to be in decently good shape, relative to RDNA1 anyway.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    That might be just because they were kind of the first to support 5700XT and there was lot of drivers issues early on.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Good to see nothing has changed with PowerColor and XFX when it comes to quality.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol
    and I encouraged you to pull more negative data from amd charts whilst keeping nvidia's worst partner versions for comparison
    it'll be even better!

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I pulled one vendor to see if its systemic higher RMA's or a particular vendor. I wasn't trying to make AMD look better than your precious Nvidia because frankly I don't care who looks better or worse I don't have stock in either company well not anymore. Its obvious they have similar RMA rates other than PowerColor being particularity bad vendor for AMD. We can easily conclude that the higher RMA rate is not systemic across all of AMD.

PS: Trolling me is only going to disappoint you as I have time and never get mad.

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Because Mindfactory doesn't sell those brands, this is just their data for the brands they sell.

And for the readers of the news, please check the data yourself, the news piece has mistakes in it like claiming 0.01% RMA rate for GTX 1660 Ti while it's really 1.2%

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that'd be true if you didn't then take those result back to comparison with nvidia cards.
    I'm not trigerred by anything amd/nvidia related,I am however allergic to producing skewed results.

it's better to have the whole picture,not hide the part of it you don't like.isn't it ?

18. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    63.4% of the GPUs sold were GeForce and only 36.6% of the GPUs sold were Radeon.

I think it's still "not bad", considering AMD has a 16% share on steam, so it's a definetive rising trend

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Its not hiding when the whole picture was presented originally. However I'm certain some people wondered why AMD has a higher RMA' rate which its primary because of PowerColor. If you are allergic to skewed results then you shouldn't even look at this data at all as its missing a lot of vendors especially Nvidia related vendors. I question why you are getting upset by me removing one vendor to check RMA rates since it doesn't have every Nvidia vendor included. If you want an example do you see one of the largest vendors of Nvidia cards, EVGA, in the data? Nope. So get over it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...sAk2kwKie-DaKplFyco7vwlw3ansFpjNstrpG/pubhtml

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Have only had 2 cards fail both Nvidias and both ASUS have also had an ASUS board go bad so I dont buy anything ASUS anymore.
    FWIW I still have a Radeon 9800xt working in my NAS server just for the GUI with its little dinky fan and molex connector lol