NVIDIA Ampere cards well under way for a release in September? Flagship 50% faster?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2020.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Pandemic check = 3080Ti

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looking forward to the new 3080Ti or whatever name they will give it :D . Not looking forward to the price :eek: . Hopefully this will be a true 4k video card as i cannot maxed out some games on my 2080Ti Oced.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @kakiharaFRS
    dont mistake a crappy psu from one to "small" for the system.
    most quality units can easily provide a lot more power than whats listed.

and looking for best efficiency @50% load means your Pi$$!#@ away power efficiency at low load.
    not everyone is using their rig for gaming only, and might want it to be better at load loads,
    so nothing past 650w for me or similar builds i do for others.

might wanna check for useless power draw, as my 3700 with a 2080S (+100% V, 140% power)
    with 5 drives, 7 fans and wc, draws about 550w under max (power) load and similar while gaming 2160p, and that includes a 43in tv...

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. All my cards are 1080ti class and all perform much the same. I skipped the 2080ti mainly because 30% more perf was disappointing and the outrageous asking price was just wacky to me, like legit unfathomable. Ampere should have been a slam dunk but the initial 8nm release seems like a compromise and will likely be replaced quite soon. The reference card doesn't look like it will jive with a big air cooler, either. Big Navi isn't due out until the ar53-end of the year and I really don't want to wait until then. Bit cheesed off, like.

Mufflore and HARDRESET like this.
  6. kokotas

kokotas Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    My wallet is ready Nvidia. Bring it on!

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If the 3080 consumes 320w then i don't think i want one.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    My understanding as I've not seen anything so far that's official, that it all still just rumors. The 8nm samsung, the high TDP, Vram amounts GDDR6X and so on. i'm taking all of them with a dash of salt and this includes all the Navi rumors too. Hell there might not even be a high end Nvidia Killer Navi.

Embra likes this.
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If these cards are the new norm, so should water-cooling for the whole system. They will create airflow issues for certain.

DannyD likes this.
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If prices stay the way they are I think I will just go back to mostly console gaming.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I was hoping that the 3080 would have 12GB of Ram and the 3080 Ti would have like 14 or 16GB and then the 3070 cards would have 10GB of Vram each and then the 3060 would have 8GB. However by looking at the preliminary specs of those cards and even though the 3060 isn't listed it is safely to assume that card might have 6GB of Vram and based off of that going to a 3060 would be out of the question for me because it would be upgrade and a downgrade at the same time. What I mean is that I would get a boost in performance but a downgrade in terms of amount of VRAM.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I cured this by taking a nice dining table with removable surface, cutting its legs to half height, sticking a bottom on it and housing my PC inside. It makes a nice coffee table in the living room.
    Its open back to allow air + cables in/out with plenty of room to house anything.
    For a while I used 15cm ducts to draw cool air from under the table to the gfx card but there isnt a big difference just sticking an almost silent 230mm fan drawing air in straight to the gfx card so thats what I use now.
    Another 230mm fan blows at the mobo + drives and another to exit air from the other side of the rear opening.
    Works great with a 1080ti + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III cooler and 6700K with TRUE120 cooler.

13. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Why are the first rumors always 50% or 100% faster in the headline and then real world turns out to be about 15% faster? It will probably turn out it is 50% faster at something like letter kerning illustrator.

14. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    AMD would be doing well to match 2080 Ti gaming performance at a much cheaper price point honestly. 2080 Ti performance is really good without looking at the price. Of course I am not against more either. 5700(XT) are great cards but AMD left much to be desired beyond this price point.

You're right TFLOPS is a bad way to measuring gaming performance. It can be more relative within the same architecture though. Historically though comparing AMD and Nvidia with TFLOPS for gaming is wrong as AMD often tends to compute more TFLOPS but Nvidia often does same or better on less.

15. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I can almost guarantee Nvidia will still be able to sell cards at $1K+. The most relevant piece is going to be what AMD delivers. If AMD can't compete at 3080 and higher than Nvidia can keep a high end Turing price points.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well according to the specs and features leaks, Ampere will supposedly use tensor cores for memory compression to shave off 20-40% of vram usage. So a 10gb 3080 may behave like a 12-14gb GPU if this is the case.

Fender178 likes this.
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh very interesting. I didn't know that.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Reddoguk
    useless comment.
    especially since your 980 uses same power than my 2080S, so if you were really about lower power consumption,
    you would have swapped your gpu for a newer one (using less power doing the same thing) a long time ago..

what if it was 5 times faster than a 2080ti? right.
    just because there is a higher tdp, doesnt mean anything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no such thing.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just like in Vega with hbcc it really does not help. When you are out of vram its just that. No memory segment or a tensor core can change that lol.