NVIDIA Ampere cards well under way for a release in September? Flagship 50% faster?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2020.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    no they are rumored to substitute 2x8-pin for 1x12-pin in oem systems,something they've been working on for a couple of gens,while normal consumer versions will be 2x8-pin as usual.

what ?
    did nvidia even remotely suggest there's anything coming as far as geforce ?
    let alone state the sku hierarchy

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Most likely holding back the 3080 TI to see what AMD brings.
    Which is a smart thing to do in my opinion.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Eh, with my recent financial troubles I'm just waiting to see what the best offering in the $250-$300 range is. Hell I'm actually considering switching to AMD for the first time ever if price/performance is right.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A GTX 3080 Ti or GTX 3080 Super with more than 10 GB of VRAM (12 or 16 GB?) *will* come at some point, of that I am sure, otherwise the rumoured range of cards are disappointing in that they offer less than 11 GB of the 1080/2080 Ti.

Sure, it is only 1 GB but the next card up is the bound-to-be-massively-overpriced TITAN with 24 GB of VRAM. It does not compute. A card with 12 - 16 GB is missing from that range and that is the card most people upgrading from a GTX 1080 Ti, like myself, or RTX 2080 Ti will want, not the RTX 3080 with less VRAM.

I am hoping that AMD can come with something competitve with the RDNA2 cards that feature ray-tracing. NVIDIA basically have no competition in the high-end sector and that is bad because (a) it gives gamers less choice; and (b) it means they can charge whenever they want because they know people will pay for it. I would absolutely love for AMD to come with a cracking GPU that offers decent performance at a decent price, much like their Ryzen CPUs. My next PC will almost certainly have an AMD Ryzen processor rather than Intel as Intel have become too complacent and boring and overpriced. NVIDIA seem to me to be heading the same way...

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Still the other graph does stand still. Anyway it would still be something like under 20% most likely if Turing got that small boost in that. But alas what I am mostly getting to is that in really well optimized games something like rdna2 with 80cu shouldn't be only 15% faster than something like 2080ti else it would be a failure.

6. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Nvidia does realize that their soon to be flagship gpu cover brandishes the Intel gpu logo?? [​IMG] upload_2020-8-3_16-35-49.jpeg

Fediuld and jbscotchman like this.
  7. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Let's get off this 8gb VRAM bandwagon already, man, sick of that. I don't count the 1000$ tier cards either, and no, 10gb isn't going to cut it.
    When they have 16gb available like the radeon VII that's been out for what two years now, I will consider buying one.
    Otherwise, not going to budge off my 8gb 2070 Super for a dog's age, not for another 8~12gb card that's for sure. Not worth it.
    Ray Tracing is super-awesome for content creation though, I will say that (though I will also say it's next to useless in games outside of Quake II RTX).

Trying to stuff a whole city and it's 4k and 8k textures into 8gb of VRAM without using a whole processor core just to handle asset streaming is an act of self-loathing for lack of better description.

WE NEED MORE VRAM, and yes, even at 1080p.

PrMinisterGR and Fediuld like this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I see the TDP is creeping up, what reductions saw few gen back have been made null.

my evga 1070ti sc black is still 389$ according to evga site, even if it out of stuck, wonder what 3070ti will cost, I original payed in total 430$ including 1060gtx price and the set up cost. Really hope nvidia dont be stupid and trying and increase prices again special during current crisis

9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    The original MRSP for the 2080ti after market boards was supposed to be $999.00. That never happened. Maybe this time again for the 3080ti? It's still a ton of money, but is a "cheaper" selling point. But of course the after market manufacturers will once again rape the masses. This could work out for AMD, who has been better at keeping their specs in the dark, and come in and obliterate Nvidia on pricing if they have a competitive product.

10. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Gimmie gimmie gimmie. 3080 Ti or bust.

11. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    If they're on Samsung 8nm then this might not be a fair assessment.

tsunami231 likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Won't lie, this new design is giving me some FX 5800 Ultra vibes. I'm pretty positive the performance will be there but this reference cooler...

george.gif

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    TDP has gone up none the less

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The bump Turing got in FH4 was not small. It was on the magnitude of like a 20% boost.

15. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    It was probably made with TSMC 7nm in mind which would probably put TDP closer to where it's been historically (look no further than A100). I would consider this more of a hiccup than a regression.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not saying more is not nice, and to be honest with the new consoles this might change a lot, but is there any game out there right now that uses 8gb Vram? not including the games that just use all vram available. cause red dead and death stranding use 5gb and 4gb at 1080p. and these are massive open world graphic power houses. Res 3 uses 7.4gb at 4k? (5gb at 1080p) guess that's getting to the limit.

I do agree at this point Vram should be going up specially with new consoles maybe changing the landscape of how much VRAM might be required, but I don't see this as much of an issue for 1080p, 4k sure we are reaching the 8gb cap, Though most people going for 4k will have an 11/12gb Vram card not having these issues right now

17. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    If rumours are to be believed Ampere has 30-50% more and faster Tensor cores compared to the Turing so they aren't sipping electricity....

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    arnt tensor core useless to gaming or does something actual used that?

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, they couldn't produce cards fast enough.

no, thats the GA100.

3090 is the ti

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  20. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I think you might be the only person on the planet who has a gaming PC and doesn't plan on playing Cyberpunk / Vampire Bloodlines 2.

Solfaur likes this.