Switched from X570 to B450

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Slinkyminx, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I currently have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 and Ryzen 3600

As I am on a very tight budget, after extensive reading around and watching knowledgeable videos, I decided to swap my X570 for the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi.

I honestly can't see I am losing anything relevant to ME and it's saving me a few bucks. (like £55, which I could put towards something else)

However I always find it's best to ask on here and get a few opinions.

I have a very modest PC

Ryzen 3600
    GTX 1060
    16gb Corsair 3000Mhz (15CL)
    Pretty basic WD NVMe M.2

I mostly play ESO and Battlefield - Well I MOSTLY play on my Xbox lol but I wanted to give my PC a kick as I do still play games on it, for example, a LOT of ESO (and that's horrible on Xbox, I know, I TRIED IT)

I'll still get the benefit of better 1% lows I think and that 36mb L2 cache etc ? ESO is running smoother than ever at the minute and I feel I will still get the exact same experience with the B450 (from reading around)

Basically, I started to feel the X570 was an 'extravagance' and one which I didn't care for at the current X570 prices.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well that's interesting. Right now I would honestly take a B550 over an X570, but going down to B450? They are probably some of the most solid mainboards in the PC hardware market to come along for a long time in my opinion, but downgrading I don't know about that.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I appreciate the reply, what the B450 or 550 ?

Also, what would I be downgrading ? What would I lose ? Cheers.

If it makes any difference I came from a £50 Gigabyte Motherboard with Intel 8100 @3.6 - locked - just FYI don't let that influence your thoughts on what I would be LOSING going from the Aorus X570 Elite to MSI Gaming Carbon Pro Max WiFi that's what I am interested in, well obviously I guess.

I am possibly overlooking something

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well you said you went from an X570 to a B450, that is a downgrade. Performance wise you really won't see much of a difference but you will lose future CPU support and optimizations.

Slinkyminx likes this.

5. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Not worried about that.

Yeah I had a Gigabyte B360M H & 8100. Upgraded to an Aorus X570 Elite and Ryzen 3600.

Felt I paid a premium for th X570 which was a huge waste for MY requirements and decided to exchange it, for the MSI B450.

These 5 series boards just seem insane prices to me. I've saved £55 I can put elsewhere plus I get built in WiFi and some nice features and whilst performance is my absolute priority I can;t see a hit in my scenarios with the switch to B450.- again, that's why I am asking though.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No you are totally fine with the board you have now. In fact I would say the B450/Zen2 CPU combo is one of the best ever.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I recently bought a B450 and 3600 after I thought I killed my 6700K (it survives!).
    One of the major reasons to buy an X board is for better VRMs/VRM cooling for CPU overclocking and dual gfx card PCIe slots, at a fair cost.
    But the B board I got handles both of those great anyway (Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming) so shrug.
    And its not like you can clock an AMD CPU much anyway, and when you try, there are many more hurdles.

What I found incredible is remaining stable when knocking off over 0.5V from CPU load voltage.
    Using offset voltage I hit the min of -0.5V which put load voltage around 0.96V.
    Setting voltage directly I got it down to 0.90625V stable under AVX, 54C load (25C ambient) with the crappy Wraith Stealth cooler lol.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Slinkyminx likes this.
  8. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Feel like I made the right decision with the B450 and the MSI

Make sure you run before and after performance tests mate like cine

EDIT: Saw this today - literally my point here

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020