Review: Lian Li Galahad 360 liquid cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yep, we are reviewing an AIO cooler from Lian Li: the Galahad 360. It’s a debut for this brand in that sector. Will it be a good one? We’ve received a 360 mm variant of this LCS. There’s also 24...

Review: Lian Li Galahad 360 liquid cooler

Embra and SpajdrEX like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Great review. I love the look.
    I definitely plan to purchase the 240 variations.

Thanks team Guru3D!

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Thats my favourite colour!!!

No wait!!

Great review and may even get one to install in one of my rackmount gaming servers...

4. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    So I have a Lian Li Dynamic XL case, and I wanted to buy just the fans they use on this cooler because they're the only white fans that actually match the color of the case. So I E-mailed Lian Li, but support said they have no plans to sell the fans separately.

I am literally about to buy 2 of these 360 AIO's just to get my hands on these fans, as I need 6 fans total. smh

5. half_empty_soul

half_empty_soul Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    first time ever i prefer look of black version over white WTF

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You could always use one of them on your CPU, and then get an NZXT KRAKEN G12 bracket (comes in white or black) and use the other cooler on your GPU for some insanely low temps. Just make sure to get some small heatsinks and thermal glue for the memory and VRM's on the GPU.

Just and idea.

EDIT:

Nevermind this is not using the asetek mounting design sot the kraken g12 won't be compatible.

7. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero

Nah I got a full blown distro plate custom loop, I have 2 radiators (360mm) so I need 6 of these fans to put on the rads... currently using the amazing Arctic P12's (white/transparent) but the frame of the Arctics is actually Ivory white as opposed to Pure white. It's a small thing really, but I have OCD so to me it's an eyesore

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    The best AIO cooler today from farway is Artic Freezer II 280... at $ 99 there is no challenger to fight...

DG21 likes this.
  9. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    That is soooooo true..... :) But the Arctic AIO has no ARGB, so your system will be slower.... xD

(I own the 240 and my 3900X stays below 70°C)

10. half_empty_soul

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    there is lots of issues with Arctic Freezer II, I had a 360 version and I send it back
    1. Thickness of rad + fans is insane = most of cases don't have that 6,5cm clearance. I had to remove 3rd fan from front of my Lian Li PC-011 Air
    2. As much I liked the idea of one cable for pump and fans in practice it doesn't work, you have no way to know pump speed and zero control of fan speed, just auto
    3. 2 years limited warranty is a joke! It screams LOW QUALITY
    4. preinstalled fans - wonder what a brainiac at Arctic had that idea to preinstall fans as top mount push, you lose extra time of your life to disconnect and connect for different mounts
    5. that small VRM fan is a gimmic and coil whine like crazy
    6. Mounting that cooler on AM4 is a nightmare!
    7.. the biggest one for me as my PC stands on my desk - it looks like dogs poo mixed with cats vomits, I haven't seen an uglier PC component in my life

there is no perfect CPU AIO and to be honest I rather pay that £30 more and have 5 years warranty and looks great plus the performance is very similar, 3 or 4C makes no difference

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I own the 120 and 280 freezer II, no issues at all, these were my first AIOs and i won't look back.
    I had to mod the bracket a little to fit in my itx board, had to trim a leg 5mm was all.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

1. Thickness of rad + fans is insane = most of cases don't have that 6,5cm clearance. I had to remove 3rd fan from front of my Lian Li PC-011 Air

Complaining that a product is too thick/big after you buy it is a little silly as anyone with any sense would check the measurements before hand.

2. As much I liked the idea of one cable for pump and fans in practice it doesn't work, you have no way to know pump speed and zero control of fan speed, just auto

This I agree with but you don't have to use them and can install your own or hook them up to a fan controller.

3. 2 years limited warranty is a joke! It screams LOW QUALITY

Can't argue with this but I have a 360mm version and everything about it so far scream quality, from the tubing the fixtures and the quietness of the fans.

4. preinstalled fans - wonder what a brainiac at Arctic had that idea to preinstall fans as top mount push, you lose extra time of your life to disconnect and connect for different mounts

Strange mine came preinstalled in a push config. So all I had to do was screw the rad into the case, mount the block and away I went.

5. that small VRM fan is a gimmic and coil whine like crazy

Has zero issues with the cooling fan and its not a gimmick it actually works as proven in many reviews and for my self. If you hate it you can always disconnect it under the block.

6. Mounting that cooler on AM4 is a nightmare!

THIS IS 100% TRUE! No arguing here, Arctic have already addressed this and they know its an issue and are working on a new setup.

7.. the biggest one for me as my PC stands on my desk - it looks like dogs poo mixed with cats vomits, I haven't seen an uglier PC component in my life

personal tastes, I don't know where you get dogs poo and cats vomit from the unit it completely black with hints a white on the tubes.....

These are currently the best AIO's on the market, no one can argue them especially for price/performance/noise. Looks department is a matter of personal opinion.

DG21 likes this.
  13. AlbertX

AlbertX Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1070
    I am not a very knowledgeablewhen it comes to AIO but I had to buy one recently because nothing was keeping my 3960X under decent temperatures, the Noctua NH U14S with double fan made it go to 95 degrees under load and around 60 in idle, no matter what I did, it was so massive that the second problem is it was heating and getting heat from everywhere, there was a 5mm separation from the GPU and heatsink from the cpu, since I have 64GB of ram the ram was under the heatsink I had to fans extracting heat and even then the GPU will rapidly go to 85 it was a mess.

I was really starting to lose it, so I decided to but some money on an AIO (I was not fond of them because, you know, water) So I got a X73 Kraken from NZXT.

At first I honestly was not impressed, the, the temperatures were exactly the same, yeap.

After I realised what the problem was, the Radiador was on TOP but the Case a NZXT H440 is badly build so the 3 fans were not able to cool the radiator fast enough because of poor air circulation from the top, since is removable, I opened a little bit from the back so is a little bit higher on the back that the front that is still in normal position.

That made a whole difference of 10 degrees, 85 under full load and 50 in idle which I call it a win, not as impressive as I Thought.

However I got another benefit first it looks nicer and cleaner and is easier to remove gpu and other cards, but now the GPU is always under 80 even under full load since the case is not getting all the heat inside anymore so my 2080ti is no throttling anymore :)

So Yeah at the end I think it was worth it.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

This could also be because threadripper chips (like your 3960X) has a very large IHS and most coolers cpu blocks, like the Kraken X73, are based on smaller IHS designs. So your cooler only has contact with the middle portion of the CPU whereas these chips use the chiplet design so your cooler is only cooling the middle of the chip. Also NZXT uses the Asetek block/pump design and the internal microfins also only cover an even smaller area than the block it self.

Hopefully this will explain it better.

Untitled.jpg

You need a cooler with a larger surface area on the CPU IHS for threadripper to have better cooling. There is the enermax liqtech AIO made solely for threadripper but I would seriously say well away from that cooler. Just look at gamesnexus videos on it.... its not good at all.

Also your case is not the best airflow wise with the top and front both being covered and only small vent holes for airflow. If I had such a monstrous CPU (and GPU too) I would be getting a better case with better airflow design. What is your ambient temps like in your room? That can also factor in a lot as well. 50C idle is not great and 85 under load tells me the CPU is hitting thermal limits and throttling voltage and clocks to maintain that temp.

allesclar and Embra like this.
  15. AlbertX

AlbertX Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1070
    The 3960X has a Thermal LImit of 95 so is not throttling and yes the case should have better airflow but I have solved that already.

As for the largers IHS, yes and no, Gamer Nexus has shown why this is is not that important on ryzen cpu as people make it, yes it will probably better but I don't think is going to be much better.

I check temperaturas on some AIO made specially for THreadripper and even in that situation there was really no improvement over normal AIO tht don't cover everything.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thermal throttling will kick in before 95C.

95C isn't a thermal throttle limit its the safe operating temperature recommended by AMD.

17. half_empty_soul

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    I have Lian Li PC-011 Air with 3 front and 3 side intakes. What would you recommend performance/noice wise for r7 3800x:

both mounted top as exaust and 3 side intakes:

1. Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 with 2 front fans intakes

2. Lian Li Galahad 360 (or any other 360 AIO) with 3 front fans intakes

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  18. Henrysingapore90

Henrysingapore90 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super 8gb
    is there a way to control the RGB of the Galahad with icue?