New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1 stack is not enough for GPU with close to double performance of RX 5700 XT, not enough bandwidth. And it is always balancing game between production cost and performance.
    That's why I think smaller GPU will be used. I would use smallest GPU that saturates power target at reasonable clock. Any bigger, and it is waste of clock.
    And while GPUs (as CPUs) are more power efficient at lower clock, and therefore bigger GPUs can deliver better performance per watt, there is aspect of linear clock scaling vs efficiency losses from being too wide.
    Then there is problem with cost per die. 10% bigger die would be naturally 10% more expensive to make without even factoring worse yields. And it would not guarantee 10% higher performance due to above.

I think that RDNA2 does not have inherent problem, just peculiar situation. On one side, it is architecture that can use more CUs than GCN => GPUs can become more massive.
    On other side, manufacturing process and changes allow it to clock so high, that bigger die will hit power draw limit long before it reaches close to clock limit.

Balancing of that is about cost for AMD and price for us. And same applies to memory type used. 2x 8GB HBM2e would be more than enough, but would it be cheaper than 12x 1GB of GDDR6 at 16/18Gbps?
    HBM2e on interposer next to GPU would be easier to cool. And PCB complexity would go down as inteposer would be more expensive part now. But PCBs are not really that expensive and 300W cooling is not problem too.

Would I be happier to have another Fury X design? Sure, quietest and coolest card I ever had.
    But I simply am not very sure about performance per $.

Similar thing can be seen on RDNA1 cards where all RX 5700 XT could clock 2~2.05GHz, but AMD made official clock much lower.

The_Amazing_X and OnnA like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this guy is literally the only person talking about ga101.

trying to hard to become relevant.

The_Amazing_X likes this.
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    He's airing an opinion. I didnt post this in the Nvidia section because didnt see anything of value in what he said about Nvidia. Only thing of potential value from this guy are his supposed contacts in the industry (not his opinions). And just *maybe* he may offer an occasional shred of useful info *if any*, in this case possibly on big navi or 'big, big navi' 2021.

OnnA likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ Yup, like other YT guys they have some leaks to share :rolleyes:
    Im always happy about it, we have some peak into the next gen.

Note:
    Besides everybody knows that we need to have pinch (sometimes sack) of salt....
    As i said before: ATI please give me 2x Vega LC Perf. at resonable 699€ price and i will be happy.

Note #2
    RDNA2/ATI will have +15-30% of 2080Ti (lead in DX12/VLK will be even better)
    3080Ti/nV will give +20-30% of 2080Ti (lead will be better in time)
    Don't worry both companies will deliver :cool:

nV need to have some room for next GPUs also, (Im 90% sure) that they don't put 6000k+ Cuda Cores into this gen for sure. (2080Ti = 4352, Titan RTX = 4608).
    All they need to do (to still have the crown) is to put 5000-5200 Cores and it's done.

We need to look at not only performance but also for the tech:
    RT Performance (no gimmicks)
    Raster Perf. (also in Older games)
    HBCC but like in Pro segment with SSD
    (im not counting DLSS/RIS, i want good performance in native 1440p)
    and so on...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    40k views
    i guess he's relevant

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    drop in the ocean, how many people do you think are actually waiting for ampere news?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Likely larger portion of all tech forums members which build their own PCs on entire planet. Rest buy premade or ask system builders to deliver now as they want it in their respective "now" moment.

It's not like Turing sales crashed or anything like it, right?

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD's Navi 21 GPU to have 80 CUs according to yet another leak

80 CUs translate to 5120 stream processors (assuming the same ratio as GCN) and if AMD is able to run these at a minimum of 1700 MHz, you are looking at an astounding 17.5 TFLOPs of power. Considering this is 7nm, AMD should easily be able to hit that (unless they run into TBP constraints) although you are still looking at quite a steep power draw of around 300W (not that any gamer in the high-end segment cares about power draw).

Twitter user _rogame also created a compilation of the leaked specifications and this is a great table for reference purposes:

[​IMG]

JonasBeckman and Skinner like this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So basically it has a chance to beat 3080Ti.... Some sources indicate it would be on par or slightly better than 3080, some that it will beat 3080Ti, some even think it would near the 3090s performance.... For me anything on par or better than 3080Ti is enough and I would be happy with it if the price/perf would be right.

We'll see... crossing my fingers and cheering for AMD!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    OnnA likes this.
  10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I keep hearing guys state that AMD should wait until Nvidia releases their own GPU to see what's being offered...before doing the same.
    I say, that is a really bad idea.
    By that time, it is a bit too late. You've already lost a potential sale.
    If AMD has a good product in hand...one that is finished...they should release it as soon as it is ready.
    They're always going to be the dedicated buyers...guys who only buy one brand or the other and that's okay.
    What you don't want as a company, is to have your perspective customers buying the competitor's offerings out of sheer excitement at owning a new product.
    Waiting to see what your competition has in hand means they beat you to the sale...regardless of what you release afterward.
    If I have $600-700...or whatever the cost is for a good AMD GPU, there is only a very slight chance I will sell that to replace it with even an Nvidia $1000-1200 GPU offering a few speed percentage point released afterward.
    Either way...whether it is resold or not, it is a sale done and dusted.
    It thereby denies one more sale for the competition.

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    @Saabjock well I would just looooove for AMD to release their cards before NV does.... BUT..... even if they would wait two days after the NV announcement to just adjust their prices... won't it be a smart strategy? Especially if they have some really competetive products this time...

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Even two days in a competitive and eagerly anticipated market, is a head-start.
    The long-waited anticipation mean these thing will sell like 'hot-cakes' once released.
    A lot of potential sales (lost revenue to the competition) can occur in two days.
    Who ever is last at release, will have to make a ton of press announcements on that date stating their exact release date, to somehow spoil the party.
    It'd also have to be within days to gain any benefit, since gamers aren't exactly known for their ability to hold out on new products.
    Either way, getting a good working and competitively priced product to market first, will determine the sales moving forward.

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Something else IF you are going with a paper launch and then two days later (e.g. from AMD) you have actually a good product announcement incl. benchmarks on preorder... but these are just ... peanuts we are arguing on....
    We can settle for --- both of the companies would need to offer the best product for the end consumer be it from price or performance perspective.... or both... and this.... ASAP... cause you know... I've got also this itch on my finger that is place on the "buy" button... :p:D

I mean... I could just buy "the best of the best" throwing out two or three thousand of dollars without even blinking.... BUT I actually CARE of what a company represents... that is why I have defended myself from the green goblin since.... well... GeForce2 (not MX) :cool:
    Been an ATi/AMD fan because they supported open source, they were smaller... and they have matched what I've thought was good in the software/hardware market...
    Still itching for the best price/performance but knowing the green goblin they will start again to cheat and go full on with closed source black box proprietary software libraries...
    Even then IF they would present a product that would be 50% better (price/perf) compared to AMD I just MIGHT switch this time...

Saabjock likes this.
  14. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    As I have stated.....Gamers aren't exactly known for their ability to hold out where new products are concerned.
    It can't be a paper launch either.
    They'll absolutely need to have actual product ready to sell...and lots of it...from day one.
    That is imperative this time around.
    If they don't, they'll get their ass handed to them.

15. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Let's hope this will be a really bloody battle this time between two juggernauts and not Goliath and David... not again... we need to have clear two top performers this time...

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The prices will be arbitrary. If you wait for NV to price things, we'll have more of the same overpricing we have already. But I guess they already figured out how much the public is willing to pay, so we have ourselves to blame. We bought the overpriced gear, and told them to shear us some more.

Plus all this R&D and new fabs and such cost money, so I don't think there will be a reduction in prices.

Besides, either side can adjust MSRP at a moment's notice.

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    You are 100% right about the pricing structure.
    The minute they figured guys would pay outrageous prices for those Nvidia cards, the game changed.
    I do not see it going below what it is now (for either company) where the top-end GPUs are concerned.
    Nvidia started that trend but AMD saw that people would be willing to pay it, so they'll follow suit.
    Look at the CPU market and you'll see a similar example.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  18. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    BUT AMD needs a win on the market share, at same price/performance people will choose nvidia so they need lower prices for same or better performance.

Once they are close to nvidia in market share... yep, prices will go up again.

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I would also like them to release there next gen Navi cards before Nvidia. Really take the initiative and take the fight to them. It really would be great to see them on the front foot.

Saabjock likes this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    If the prices continues to go up then about 30-40% of PC Players (Those who can't afford $1500+ GPU) will switch to Consoles.
    nV as well as ATI will loose Big on that.

PPL just leave their PCs to usuall stuff and Play games on consoles.
    For 899-999€ You'll have both PS5 & XboX SX, so no brainer.

And this (Thx nV o_O) will be over of PC Gaming as we know it....

We have now stable situation on CPU front Thx to AMD. If not for them we will be on 4C for 400€ still :) and 8/16 and more priced at regular +1000€ o_O
    We need ATI to stabilise GPU front now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Truder likes this.