Qualcomm: Smartphone Quick Charge v5: 50% in 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Can't you just put X battery cells in parallel and charge them all X times faster ? Like the only issue is then the current limit of the cable.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can. But it would increase complexity. And while this complexity would not increase price a lot, it would increase space requirements.
    And you know how phone manufacturers like to save money. 10 cents per unit over million units decides what will be used.

Backstabak likes this.
  3. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I see and agree, but I still thing that it will eventually be a thing. All you need is a simple load balancer and maybe use a bit thicker wiring. If you just use two battery cells instead of one you instantly have twice as fast charging. Phone makers will just wait with this "new and innovative" thing a few years down the line, when their current "innovation" of having increasingly larger displays will come to some physical limit.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Parallel cells have no need for balancer :) Bigger Batteries will come with paper thin screens or lack of desire to make phones thinner. I always buy thin phone and put it into flip case :D

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Samsung phones are gonna be HOT.

6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Damn, you are right. Shouldn't have replied until I had my after launch coffee.

Personally I can't imagine phone barely lasting a day. I typically need my phone in the evening when I go out, so if something only lasts a day I need to plan and charge the phone beforehand. Therefore, for me half of modern cellphones are just useless and faster charging isn't going to help there. It's especially absurd since the phones are getting bigger and bigger to the point of what once used to be a tablet size, yet for some reason they still can't make them a little bit thicker and have there a proper battery.

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    few months ago : https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/05/...ng-degrades-battery-faster-than-15w-charging/
    well its not easy to manipulate the physics i guess... basically u trading your battery-lifespan for usage-time

but for safety concern, i dont think this will cause any worse than without fast-charging
    considering the principle doing it still same (https://www.androidauthority.com/fast-charging-explained-889780/)
    afterall which maker dare to make new episode of galaxy-note-7-battery drama ?

size-wise arent there wide variety of selection from many maker ?
    high-end model tends to be the biggest though, but i think that related to what people prefer

now how big battery enough for most people ? answer will be different depends on their usage
    asus ROG phone 3 is 6000mah, considering the battery area-limit-size, think the limit will be around 8000mah except they can squeeze more than that

nowdays phone SOT is around 6-8hours, which for many people it should last a day
    then you have power-save mode incase you need extra time with your phone

anyway, simple way why not just grab powerbank, those 5000mah its light,thin and cheap

fry178 likes this.
  8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I guess if you really go into cheap phones, you can find something smaller. However, if you want something with decent HW which will also have at least some support, you kinda need to pick something from the top models and there is basically nothing in compact form. Sony used to make compact versions of their flagship phones with the same HW and they were popular, even more popular than the flagship model, if I remember right. I have the last one, but it has been released like 2 years ago and there is no sign that they want to continue with it.

As I've said, for me 1 day use is very limited because it's just going to die when I need it the most. Although, I don't watch movies or even videos (all that much) on the phone and I don't play games, so I can usually get two days on many phones.

I think it kinda defeats the purpose of making a thin phone and then carrying a powerbank with you, but it is sure a solution for some.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Backstabak
    1. walmart has 5$ 5000mAh (rated) and 10$ 10000mAh lipo based (thin) powerbanks,
    and charge phone during day (easily while working).
    2. order unlocked international phone on amazon/ebay. i ususally keep using my Z/X/XZs for about 5y.
    unless i break IP protection by sitting down on it and have to replace it sooner...