Intel Gets Sued over 6 to 12 month 7nm Delay

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last week Intel took a turn downwards in share prices when they announced that their 7nm products will be delayed by another 6 to 12 months. It seems that investors are fed up with it, and now are sui...

Intel Gets Sued over 6 to 12 month 7nm Delay

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Ouch.
    When it hurts, it GigaHURTZ.
    I have a feeling it will become much worse for them before it gets better.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what? I think the stupid thing I heard for being sued

might be good time think about buy Intel stock , before the bounce back? I been toying with notion for buy AMD and Intel Stock for while. buy AMD is alot more feasible for me though

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So investors, the guys who are basically gambling on their cash increasing as a result of a company doing well are suing Intel because their 'gamble' wasn't a sure fire thing?

Have I missed something here is that not how investing in something works? You gamble to a degree on the thing you invest in doing well?

What would have happened if Intel had told them sooner, they wouldn't have invested or would have tried to pull their investments which would have had the same net effect. Does that mean that the investors who pull their cash last, when they get the smallest return, can then sue the investors who pulled their cash earlier for driving down Intel's share price?

Backstabak, Maddness and Silva like this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If it involves deception then a lawsuit is justified. Intel gave no indication that their 7nm process was in any kind of trouble and insisted it was on track. A 12-month delay doesn't just happen overnight - Intel must have known about these issues for a long time ago but kept silent until now.

6. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I haven't researched Intel but before jumping in I'd check the past quarterly revenue and Earnings Per Share over the past 3-5 years. If they are in a downtrend I'd be cautious. Personally I'd wait to see a positive reaction from Intel for shareholders and consumers. "the worst report Intel has released in 42 years." does not inspire confidence in me. Just my personal opinion. Meaning I could be totally wrong.

7. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    OK, I don't think you know how markets work.

Noone can sue you if your company goes to crap and investors lose money. Or if your company doesn´t go to crap and stocks go down for whatever other reason. But every company in the market has the obligation to disclose relevant information, be it audited annual results or events that are likely to affect the company.

Investors may be "gambling" their money, but if you play with marked cards then there´s trouble.

That say, I'd bet this is not going anywhere

It's not like they published false information about revenue or debt. They had a plan for a product and it's gone wrong. Not the same thing.

Their only chance would be if they actually had solid proof that someone already had that information beforehand, which it's unlikely. Bonus point if someone in the board had been selling like crazy before the drop, but once again I doubt it as that crap is way too easy to spot.

It sounds like some small investors are butthurt about that 20% drop in a week and they found a law firm to take their money pretending they have a chance.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Talk about kicking a man while he's down....

Silva likes this.
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    They had it coming, not being honest about your business sooner or later will kick you in the face.
    I'm sure they'll come back with more and better products, but it will take a couple of years as Ryzen was a hard buttfuck.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Kudos to investors for doing this - this is deceptive after all, and Intel is using dirty tactics at this point. That's never a good sign.

That being said, if we look at the recent five years,
    [​IMG]
    This whole stock situation, at least as of today, isn't that big of a deal to them. The amount of money Intel has and can burn is insane.

Nevertheless, what I do hope is that Intel will start heavily investing in development / stop the internal power struggle / finally come up with a realistic roadmap and a plan.

The last thing we need right now is another Intel situation; however, this time, in turn, it will be AMD that will dominate (and then stagnate).

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Who is down? As far as finance goes, AMD is just above sea level after many years. Intel is on orbit. Just because they are slowly descending does not put them under ground.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    There's only one reason Intel is in rough seas at present: AMD. Intel doesn't know how to run a competitive corporation. The company never expected AMD to blindside them again, and so never expected to have any competition in their markets, and sat there and milked older architectures for a decade, rolling in the dough, and figured the gravy train was perpetual and eternal. 14nm forever, right? AMD, otoh, has never been anything but an ultra-competitive company. And there it is.

Silva likes this.
  13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Fox you say that fully knowing AMD will gain a larger market share where Zen 3 hits and 4XXX chips will be way more secure and use less power all while being way cheaper than anything Intel has to offer.

I'm only thinking AMD will do very well in the next 2 years, after that i don't now. What i do know is that Intel are struggling to see past 14nm and may even take poor yield and just run with it as they need to get their so called 10nm which is meant to match AMDs 7nm while AMD are moving already to 7nm+ and even 5nm isn't that far off according to AMD.

I'm not saying Intel is screwed but things aren't right within that company right now and if you don't think Intel is about to take a hit in the desktop market with the 4600X 4700X 4900X already a lot of people including myself have saved just for AMD 4XXX and Nvidia 3XXX.

Second gen RTX and AMD 4000 series is gonna be some system. I can afford a 3090 or 3080Ti or whatever it's called but i'll probably just get a 4700X and a decent 3rd party 3080.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In regards of all the issues Intel has, if they have some trust in their own work, they should rebuy their own shares now that they're cheap, and sell them again down the road.

cryohellinc and Fox2232 like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is certain thing that Zen 3 is to gain ground. But intel is not in bad spot. It is going towards bad spot, but it is not there, yet.
    This thread is kind of proof. Investors are angry, because they finally realized where this is going.

At this point, it would be better for intel, if they released transistor counts of their chips. And demonstrated transistor density is competitive.

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    yeah
    AMD was like capsized and sinkin boat, more than half way to sunk, then got wind assistance (zen) and magically went straight back on course, wind in they favor, water pumped out....

17. My opinion is that this is counter productive from a long term investment standpoint. Especially with internal restructuring of late. Unfortunate for workplace morale. I hope Intel beats this & isn’t further delayed by it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
  18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I mean 2 years from now AMD will already have 5nm chips on the market. It's not like Intel can't catch up or even overtake them but not for at least 2 years now and stocks will go down even more when Zen 3 is released this September/October. Investors may not invest if they feel that 2 years is too long of a wait to find out even. They better come up with something in the next year or AMD gains will be greater than expected. Intel need to show a working 7nm chip in about a year even though it might be 18 months to two years until their ready for public.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    True, I don't, but somewhere I get the impression that a lot of entitled people think they are owned money that technically they are not.

Noisiv and Maddness like this.
  20. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    but but but Intels 1080p gaming 7% advantage will resolve all the problems such as Foreshadow PortSmash SPOILER Meltdown Spectre Fallout RIDL ZombieLoad and others.