Italy lockdown ...how bad is the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When you have one positive confirmation per 4.5 tests done, you have much higher chance of having run-away cases.
    In comparison to US who has some 1.5% of population infected and one confirmed positive per 12 tests, you could draw some conclusions.
    Like: If we say that real number of infected in US is twice as big as reported, then chances are that Qatar has ~4 times as many infected than reported.

And even 4% is rather big number which could overwhelm hospitals as no country had respirators ready for bad cases. I think that even Korea which has like best medical system would have trouble if 4% got sick.

And then, even people on respirators die a lot. Yes, while Qatar is rich, their population above 65 is rather small. But then they have disproportionately more men than women in population who tend to have higher mortality rate.
    I am pretty sure, that gold coating lungs is not going to save anyone. money and available medical technology is not question here.
    Drastic difference in official outcomes are.

For example, US would need 11% of its population infected without any new deaths to reach same death rate. (And that's without adjustment for testing or estimation errors for unidentified cases.)

Luxembourg for example did enough tests to test 2/3rds of their population. And they confirmed 1% of their population as infected. Which could hint situation in other European countries that took similar protective measures at same time.

UAE did enough tests to confirm 1/2 of their population upon some point in time. And they have 0.6% infection in population.

Bahrain did similar per capita testing as UAE and found 2.6% of population infected.

When I look on number of tests per capita and number of positive results per capita, Qatar is between Oman and Brazil.
    There are very few countries in world who did fewer tests per infected person. But I found them: Bolivia, Ecuador, Honduras.

You can make guess on what kind of accuracy that level of testing provides. And that their actual infection through population will be much bigger. (Which makes official death rate even smaller.)

It does not sound right when even Korea has 2% death rate and they are really advanced, and kept things quite under control.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Nope, never heard of him/her. I get most of my information on Vitamin D from reading research papers on VitaminD Wiki and also looking at anecdotal evidence.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, take a look at his channel and the info on vitamin D and Covid.
    Seems like you quoted him!
    And that's a good thing!

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Honestly, I'm reluctant to listen to experts because I was burned by them years and years ago when the whole Vitamin D craze took off. Got plenty of bad advice regarding Vitamin D and other supplements. If there's one thing I've learned about Vitamin D over the years, it's that it's extremely complicated. Even the experts don't fully understand the full range of its functions in the body and how it interacts with other nutrients/hormones. Too much Vitamin D can be just as dangerous as not enough, and it can also throw off the balance of other fat soluble vitamins; namely Vitamin K and Vitamin A if not done properly and that can have disastrous effects.....especially in the long term.

I've known so many people that were told by their doctors to take large amounts of Vitamin D, which actually worsened their health (mostly because they took it without K2 and magnesium) because said doctors had no idea that Vitamin D is just one part of a complex chain of nutrient interactions and dependencies.

So with that said, I prefer to do my own research. That's not to say that Dr. Campbell doesn't have any worthwhile information. I'm sure he does. But when my own health is at stake, or the health of my wife and children, I always prefer to make my own choices.

That way if I screw up, I can only blame myself :D

dark_surge likes this.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That's great news.

We've just hit the two week mark with no new deaths, 260 folk in hospital with the condition and only 2 in ICU and an estimate of some 300 folk with the virus. They finally announced that our schools will return in full, full time starting from 11th August with all children back by the 18th however they held off moving in to Phase 4 (which I am lead to believe is only if the virus is no longer in the community and a potential threat, which makes sense if they are estimating 300 active cases.) We also added people from Luxembourg to the return 14 day quarantine list.

dark_surge and Caesar like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    all my blessings....guru....
    and all depends upon the good governance of a country... but at times it is difficult to control things that are "out of bound"... i mean....civilians need to be responsible and act cautious....

dark_surge likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not going to be over any time soon. At this point, it will continue lurking through population in summer time. If one can actually call it "lurking", because once damage dealt is considered, it does not look like "lurking" flu does in summer. And it will appear fully at around flu seasons.

Considering that some of those countries had previous peek at around 400 new cases a day, they did not really had it out of control 1st time around. Even with precautions, moment it spreads through population due to time, new clusters will be as large as before. But there will be more of them. And then they will form super clusters.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
  12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In Italy ReiThera will start its vaccine trial soon too. Note that the Italian government made a deal for the Oxford-Irbm vaccine instead..

toyo likes this.
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    17 days now with no covid reported deaths here in Scotland, although a few clusters have popped up over the last week just to let everyone know it's still lurking in the background waiting to pounce on the complacent.

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    That's good, any positive steps are helpful.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    XP-200 likes this.
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Crap, R_t index today at 1.01, and the rest of Europe is getting worse :|

They should start the 24th of August at Spallanzani Hospital, the ReiThera vaccine is named "GRAd-CoV2".

toyo likes this.

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Finally a good day again.
    Germany bought 250.000.000 masks it doesn't need right now and just finalised a paper to send out those masks for free (worth about 275 million euros!) to countries / states in need.
    I hope this helps other countries a bit ...

XP-200 and Alessio1989 like this.
  17. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Cases are up hospital admissions are down, as are deaths. Not as deadly as they claim. Isolate the vulnerable and let's get back to normal.

angelgraves13 and kanej2007 like this.
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not easy isolate the vulnerable when they are part of your family. Moreover, this crap doesn't hit vulnerable people only.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Some people should try by themselves what an ICU recover means.

toyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.