Steam Implements new Measures to avoid purchases with VPN, currency needs to match country

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah so?

Just exchange your currency into shekels and buy the game.

3. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Only a dedicated handful of the steam user base changes region for game purchases and I bet they will find digital wallets in no time. I'm pretty sure you can convert the currency with revolut in no time.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well, the average "thick" user won't even know what that is. And all the mammas "hackers" with VPN will be left clueless.

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    now with the changes, it no longer that simple to bypass the system ?
    currrency = linked to steam-account-country
    and VPN only change steam-store-country/region not account-country
    then changing account-country is not easy/simple

like digital wallet, how it will work? steam do not allow multi-currency in one account right?
    you move to other country/region, then steam wallet should convert the currency to your country
    so for anything to work, u need to change your account-country first, no ?

well you can simply start new account based on specific country (VPN -> create account in that region, buy that region steam gift card = which then automatically set your region, then you can keep buying from that region)
    but i dont think that convenient for most people, especially for people that already have big game library

or i am missing something that really simple to bypass this system ?

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Are you a G2A seller?

7. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I hate Steam. Killed the physical sales freedom and imposed it's own tarriff system.
    Same game inside Europe can be had 40% cheaper in Norway, 15% cheaper in UK, 30% cheaper in Poland (and some East Europe countries) than the Eurozone area.

And still USA is 12-15% cheaper than Eurozone also, let alone other countries across the planet.

Same brand new game.

Gandul likes this.
  8. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    For people who were trying to get lower price, they will just use key reseller site and if you stop those they will just start pirating...

We all know this different country different price is BS. It just an excuse to be able to jack up prices vs the US market in other developed countries (Europe, Japan, NZ and Aussie etc..) which are not really richer than the US and represent a BIG chunk of the global market. While making it cheaper for only some 3rd world countries (Wich represent a tiny market) just for showing... hypocrisy like hell

Gandul likes this.
  9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    This is already active for some time, only difference now is that they mentioning the change publicly.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Steam is far too expensive, other than HL Alxy i havnt bought a full price game on steam in about 4 years and the sales are fairly lack lustre.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's true. I left Ivalice, and steam won't accept gil as a currency.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  12. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Yeah, right because for STEAM USD==EURO, greedy b******s...
    I'm pretty sure (hope) that this can be bypassed with revolut...

Gandul likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    We get full price here. BL3, Doom, ... 60 Euro.

But, let's be honest. Are they banning VPN activation and VPN steam shopping? Or are they banning product codes not meant for your country?

Because when people shop on those (often shady) 3rd part shops for cheaper codes, they do not need VPN for activation outside of few exceptions like RU version of game where steam already implemented geo-blocking.
    And even then, I could go and buy steam code for BL3 from Czech (non-steam) site for less than half of steam price.

14. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Euro prices includes taxes.

Do you realize most developing countries, including East European countries, have incomes 3 to 6 times lower than your country.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What you're doing is basically the equivalent of the "thanks, Obama!" meme. Steam isn't the problem, you just want them to be.
    Steam didn't kill physical sales. They're not the first media-less DRM and although they might have been the first to popularize that (maybe they're not, I'm not totally sure), someone was going to popularize it eventually. Would you rather it be EA?
    Also, does Steam actually have a tariff, or are you confusing it with the EU's VAT (and perhaps any additional VAT your country applies, if any)?

If you hate Steam so much, use a different DRM - you have options. But, I take it you must not have tried, because I'd be surprised if others don't have the same tariff rates.

16. Has to be solution for those that live in two countries with US based steam accounts but purchase physical media at times when abroad or the digital key (the card) - steam may just say "well only purchase online and buy a usa based". The issue then is you are in the EU if dual citizen part time of year with your US account and... then what? I am honestly asking. I've been one of those people. I am only US based now but German born.

17. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Or i just buy the game on a keysite for cheap..i don't bother with VPN if a different currency can't beat the keysite deals.

18. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Correct!

Example: red dead redemption 2 on steam: 47.99 (euro) ----> on gamivo: 37.34 or 33.61 (euro)

19. Yeah so far I've used Gamivo and I haven't had issues so wtf is the point of this whole thing then?? It sounds like this system doesn't even really catch squat (in the ultimate sense) & if you're in a situation like I described you can just do as @barbacot mentioned.

EDIT: Valve is being absolutely moronic with this. If they pursue it to the point of no end they will hurt more than they will help. They'll cut off a source of profit, how can you be so ***** stupid.

20. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    If folks can't afford it, wait for a sale or wait for it to go on Humble Bundle. People can moan about the digital store messing up things like having physical copies, but I don't miss scratched or lost disks for a second. I guess key resellers could be a last resort*.
    GOG sells many popular games without DRM on them. If DRM (such as Denuvo) really bugs you, remove it or avoid Denuvo protected software.
    If you can't find a DRM-free copy of the game you like, or can't find it cheap enough, then buy a different game or find a more competitive store.

*The old adage rings true: If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

PlatinumPanther likes this.