Intel Dual Socket Ice Lake-SP Processors Pitted Against AMD EPYC Rome

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DeskStar likes this.
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I likes me learning new stuffs.....

3. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Not the same OS, not the same memory size (don't know what impact it could have).
    But the best is yet to come, Ice Lake-SP should have challenged Epyc Rome. Sadly for Intel, they are a little bit late and it's gonna have to face Milan instead at the end of the year.

GSDragoon and Fediuld like this.
  4. caldas

caldas Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080Ti
    Started very well, Kernel Windows 10 Vs Kernel Windows Server :(

5. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Ok so lets get down to what really matters in the business world. What does each one cost?

6. Vincenzo

Vincenzo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon RX 560
    If i remember right.. windows 10 Pro have some problem using processor with to many core (32+), instead the server edition, or the workstation edition work much better.

GSDragoon and Fediuld like this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Depends on power consumption. Cost is like marathon and upfront price is often of no importance in long run.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That is going to be interesting. The Epyc series has often been nearly half the price for the same amount of cores. Intel has been lowering prices but even in the unlikely event these Ice Lakes are a better value, Epyc also has dual-socket options that Intel just has no answer to at all.

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    One note. The EPYC multicore prerformance is hampered by the Win10Pro multicore restrictions also the benchmark is of different versions between the two systems. The later version is been patched to work better with 128+ core CPUs.

GSDragoon likes this.
  10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes because Geekbench is how you test high core server chips. The results of this regardless who wins is pointless. This will not translate to actual server workloads so nobody looking to buy these chips will even care about this test.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You might be surprised most large enterprises don't care about the purchase price all that much. The licensing of the software that runs on top of the systems is usually many multiples the cost of the hardware. They end up caring about floor space used for x performance and performance they get for the power used as both of those are finite in a data center.

12. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    MAN.... Intel is DEAD!

Fediuld likes this.
  13. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Should not bother releasing such info, different OS, different amount of RAM, different version of Geekbench, single cpu vs dual cpu... no point in comparing really

14. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    "Arguably you can discuss the results."

Arguably? What the heck does that mean? Of course we can discuss the results! There is absolutely no reason we can't. It is NOT arguable at all.

The question is why would we bother to? It is Geekbench. Who actually cares about the results of that test? It is about as irrelevant as a test can possibly be.

HandR likes this.
  15. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    I've yet to see a single AMD based server in the enterprise field, since 2005, so it will take time. Tons of products and server appliances use Intel based platforms, so it will take more than a few benchmarks to kill that.

16. TheCapulet

TheCapulet Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850x2 512mb
    JUST built one last week. Was a fun little "money is no object" project from one of my clients that runs individual VMs for everything. Few things are better than holding an $8k processor in your hands.

17. I don't think Intel released this on purpose
    We deployed Epyc at Bank of America. Xeon too, albeit legacy. Still, I have of recent years seen Xeon generally.

18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    We have seen this approach from intel before, so I am suspicious at all the above.

My biggest gut feeling is that if Intel did have something, they would be showing outright how much "something" it is, rather than such dodgy comparisons. Is this simply avx512 support?

In broader news - are we watching Rome fall?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  19. NewTRUMP Order

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Exactly and what does each one cost in power usage? Back to what matters in business=cost.
    If you are not watching your cost on EVERYTHING in your business then you are running a losing proposition.

20. NewTRUMP Order

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    There are 100 Epyc based servers in the world. Apparently your vision is limited.