Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Wagnard likes this.
  2. klunka

klunka Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    I'm on 1909 and having this Stanby memory issue fwiw. Thanks a lot to all of you, I would have never figured it out if it weren't for this thread!

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Strange, since I updated to 1809, the issue is long gone for me. Also, a compilation update for 1803 also fixes it. I wish I still had 1803, kind of liked it a bit more than 1809 and 1803 with the patch seemed to handle the standby memory more dynamically, at 1809 it just fills up and that's it. No game stutter, but imo the management seemed better done on the 1803 patch. Oh well.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Something curious: MS is still giving updates support to 1709 due to the pandemic, 1709 is getting new compilations, does not this mean the standby memory list issue has been fixed in it too, as it was fixed on a patch for 1803? Just curious, leaving this out here if anyone want to experiment a bit.

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I'm curious how a non tech savvy person stays on 1709? Unless one is blocking Windows Update in many ways as 18xx came down the line at one point for me a long long time ago.

6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You gotta block Windows Update via gpedit.msc and use Microsoft Update catalog to custom install the updates you want, that's the only way you can control them.

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That's not something joe non techie random would know.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Actually user can set internet connection (WIFI or Ethernet) as a metered one (and then check it periodically). That prevents from automatic Windows Updates.

Cave Waverider and enkoo1 like this.
  9. Aldek

Aldek Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080 (UV)
    1809 here and I have this issue. I can't play in Warzone without Wagnard's ISLC becouse after like 2-3 rounds max I have awfull stutters.
    Strange thing I didn't notice that before in games. One thing though... After I started to play I upgraded my RAM 8GB > 16GB. Maybe Windows felt more room to hoard more resources? No idea.
    I have updates disabled for long time, so some random update couldn't break anything.
    Tried to update to 1909 but Windows installer fails checking my instalation. So I will wait with reinstall for new hardware. Anyway.... Just wanted to drop my 2c that 1809 doesn't fix much in my case.
    Also I have tried few drivers (I try to stay up2date with GPU drivers) and I didn't notice any change.

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Weird. I don't need it anymore, several games fill the standby memory and they perform the same; with or without ISCL. Since the 1803 patch, the issue is solved for a lot of users. I also clean install feature updates, I never update or thing won't be as smooth as I want them to be. Anyway, in your case, you should try Windows Update and then try, to update drivers with Device Manager. Also, the 1909 installer is not being able to do anything because you have disabled Windows Update and I think it depends on that.

You can also set updates on Windows 10 to be every 30 days or a bit more I think, so they won't mess with you in long periods of time.

Do you use Windows Defender? Because the standby memory issue was related to that as well; I disable the 3 ASLR option in Defender and everything is fine. Maybe that's what fixed it on my end, who knows.

11. jonaaa20

jonaaa20 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Finally my stuttering issue is fixed, but, it was an expensive solution honestly, upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5 1600 AF and OC'ed my RAM to 3200 CL14, the stuttering was still there, had the same stutters.

Then i bought a 1TB NVMe (since i'm done with my HDD) and then my stuttering issue is... gone. I'll probably upgrade my RAM to 32GB since they're kind of cheap here but for now, i'm happy with the results.

12. klunka

klunka Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    Is there a benefit from running AveYos script over manually clearing the stabndbylist(with rammap) other than automation of the process? I only need to clear the standby memory once after I launch a game then it doesn't fill up for hours, so I would prefer manual clearing unless there's other benefits to the other methods.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do it manually and you will save a bit of CPU (since there will be no Task Scheduler tasks created by the script).

klunka likes this.
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/

Download that and execute as admin before launching any game.

klunka likes this.
  15. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Wagnard, why is "Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC.exe" trying to "phone home"?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Wagnard created an AI, so what is wrong if the "child" wants to call home?

17. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    If it can't cook toast it's not a very good AI. Thanks for all the programs you shared over the years mkb I appreciate a lot of them!

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Has Wagnard posted any hash value for files he posted at his site? I mean what if some bastards replaced his valuable software with malicious one?

Prophet likes this.
  19. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yea, he has, it's the correct one I checked.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Wagnard likes this.