Guru3D Notification Forum: Editing posts after one day is disabled due to spam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2020.

1. I haven't noticed; your system is working well.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Very good decision.
    There is no need to keep edit open after the initial few hours of typo fixing.

However, it may be interesting to have a way to ask for reopening posts for certain people that maintain lists/indexes (aka, ability to perma-edit 1st post of certain threads).
    For example, people posting updates to their tools/software, like @1usmus

Or better, allow "Master Gurus" (and better) to keep their editing ability and have this restriction only for new users.
    If someone "survived" the necessary conditions to receive this status, they are almost certainly not a spammer.

EDIT: I see it's already implemented as a "60 day" period :rolleyes:

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. I see what you did there... Edited about editing. Noice'

wavetrex likes this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    There was a terrific forum, (which shall remain nameless), I was a member of years ago. Unfortunately, it was positively annihilated by bots and other cretins. (The admin went on hiatus, and the lieutenants apparently couldn't get in touch with him, and didn't have the necessary access to de-louse the site. Or, so they claimed. it was painful to watch.

I still wish for a worldwide agency that would hunt these losers down and administer some severe, ongoing physical discomfort upon them. You know, Nilfgard-level stuff.

5. Savage & agreed. Too bad it's not like blowing a bulb in a string of Christmas lights. They all stop working.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    +1 to that.

Not sure if possible though?

EDIT: nvm, missed the part about members with 60+ days of membership and at least 10 posts regaining edit rights now implemented.
    Which is a much more lenient restriction than requiring Master Guru or above.

Can't recall what the required post count was for Master Guru though, Ancient history :D

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Spammers could patiently wait 60 days..
    If that happens, the required time might be extended or actually requiring a certain percentage of likes and such ...

But...
    As long as money exists, spammers will never be "defeated", however they can be kept in check.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Not sure likes would work, that would surely "discriminate" legit users.

IIRC there was (during vBulletin days) one level below Master, Member Guru?
    It was a step up from Newbie and IIRC was fairly good at discerning random onetime-posters from relatively active members.

But yeah, whatever is done isn't perfect and if these spammers are indeed people, they can read all this just like us.

So read this too spammers:
    keep spamming and I'll personally butt-rape you with a thorny branch of a Finnish pine tree!
    You'll crap pine cones for weeks!

Consider yourself warned...

sykozis likes this.
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well i've never been back here after a few days and modified any of my posts apart from like someone else mentioned to fix typos.

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -