Guru3D Notification Forum: Editing posts after one day is disabled due to spam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over the past weeks we have seen an influx of spammers that register to the website.
    The forum spam filters a lot of them, but each day a few get through. Spammers leave a simply post or reply for weeks and then re-login. These are not bots, that's real people creating them through a myriad of IPs.
    1. The new trick I observed is that spammers post a valid response. Then weeks later they return and edit their message by inserting a spam link. So in an abundance of replies, such a link easily is missed and stays there. For that reason, I have disabled the ability for registered users to edit their content after one day.
    2. A series of spammers reply to an existing post, often with a simple but valid response. However, in that reply, they edit the quote of a valid post from for example you, and inject a link into some of the words. Again, that's very clever and often goes unnoticed.
    I'd like to ask everybody to keep an eye out, it'll remain to be a cat and mouse game. Albeit spam is increasing a bit lately, 98% of the accounts and spam is filtered before people even can post it.

If you notice something like described as above, please hit the report button and we'll sort it out.

Currently, I am looking into adding an extra user group where only members that have been around for 2 months or longer, can edit their posts as normal.

Update:
    This change is in effect. If you have been a member for longer than 60 days and have at least ten posts your account will be updated the next time you log in so you may edit your own posts at all times.

Still can't edit own posts older than a day? Then you keep yourself logged in at all times, mandatory is a new login for the settings to kick in. Logout, login, done.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The sneaky little...that's just...

May I also suggest, that as they could literally just reply to threads that are several years old, perhaps using an autolock due to inactivity would also help you, due to the shear amount of workload this would save you:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/auto-lock.3433/

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Haha, mate you seizing every opportunity to invoker auto-lock isn't going to make it happen, sorry. Good try though :)

HARDRESET, AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Bummer; sorry to hear this!

Nice idea

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Worst online occupation ever. Being spammer. Who would like to be paid for switching IPs, making fake accounts and posting spam?

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Worthless punks.

7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Why they do that?

8. :)I tend to remember that old song by Barbara Streisand ... you know? "Someday, somewhere We'll find a new way of living... Somewhere... There's a place for us Somewhere a place for us ... Somewhere" or something like that. :D

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Is it an emergency case? I mean even if spam guy edited post to inject the link who will click that link? Is there people here who do that?

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Grr,

My dreams of a necro-free world: squashed.

Maybe just a change in the terms and conditions will suffice? :)

11. lol I was thinking the same exact thing like "but so ... what?"

EDIT: I imagine it's more about the idea of an annoyance of having one's website full of spam links that then link to ad traffickers etc. I for one as a website owner would get annoyed to crap of that occurring. If that is all this is about or at least part of it. Now; if it's also about people clicking those links after the posts being edited than - yeah that's ... interesting considering they're old and that'd be hard to quantify to actually figure that out would have taken some time consuming investigative work.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ain`t that measure renders original (first) posts of the threads un-editable? And spared posts after the original one too.

That will change the way of extracting the information from threads.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If it didn't work, then there'd be no spam.

People aren't going to actively create spam, especially without the use of bots, if it's not working. As well, people aren't going to create bots and use them, if it didn't work as well.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    They will if they are payed for their work (of editing the posts, or of creating the bots).

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  15. Always comes down to: is it revenue-generating work. Can it be monetized?

Let's assume the answer is yes and a click farm or (farms) are doing a campaign against Guru3d because they can confirm through whatever analytics platform they use that their links are being clicked on (their trackers) are data mining enough for them to continue to a point for the site administrator to take notice.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be just forbid the embedded links, allowing only to post the link as a text? Many browsers allow to select a web-link (in a text form) and offer a context menu item "go to web address".

17. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    In the end... Twitter had it right with no edit button LOL

18. Nice idea. Too bad there aren't any forum features that do services akin to OpenDNS filters. (Actually I recant - I bet there are plugins)

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You have no idea what is set up in these forums against spam. Akismet checks, high-tier reCAPTCHA algorithms, StopForumSpam live database checks, DNSBL honeypot checks. 98% gets filtered ... it's the 2% that's left you guys see.

It's a delicate (and dangerous balance) as when you setup too much or too hefty, you risk tagging/blocking regular users as being spammer as well.

Deleted member 213629 and Noisiv like this.
  20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    it's not just about clicks, it's google juice, getting indexed with your spam site at reputable sources.