Intel Share Prices Take Dive Downward - A share of AMD is now More Expensive Than Intel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    just a fluke - day or two and it will be back to normal

3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Or actually the market is responding accordingly?

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    we will need to give it time to see, but i might be for the reason that Intel will lack behind for 2 more years due to the 10nm coming 2h 21 if not any delays. While AMD will be on 5nm next year and it will crush Intel this year and maybe next.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Intel stock has been at lower points even before the pandemic (2019). Their market capital is still way vaster than AMD despite the depressed stock price. But their outlook for next year looks pretty bleak, so no surprises investors are bailing out.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    High spikes usually suggest that the market will normalise over the next couple of days.
    That said, Intel dropped 17% and AMD went up 17%? That looks more like someone switched their investment!

7. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    FINALLY. Maybe Intel can actually focus on appeasing customers instead of shareholders now.

mikeysg and moo100times like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    With so many corporations switching to AMD for their server CPU's, that is where Intel is getting hit hard. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars on a Xeon cpu when you can spend half the price on an AMD EPYC for half the price and double the performance?

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    While I appreciate the sentiment, comparing share price dollar for dollar is pretty irrelevant since a company can issue a share split or reverse split and essentially make the share price whatever they want. Total value is an actual marker of value.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, share prices are not comparable. What ought to have been emphasized is the % up/down movements, not the share prices. I believe Intels shares have been split a few times over the decades and they have a few billion shares more than AMD.

Intel outstanding shares : 4.23b
    AMD " " : 1.17b

Silva and scoter man1 like this.
  12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Exactly. You did the work for me, I was too lazy! It's awesome to see AMD catching up and giving Intel a run for their money though. Nothing is better than competition for tech as important as processors.

13. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I thing that Intel has zillions of patents so even if they will not produce good cpu (and it means chipsets too) and gpus.. their shares will still have some value.. from perspective of potential buyer.. maybe Nvidia, Google, MS etc.. could buy Intel in the future.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It's not remarkable at all--AMD stock has been grossly undervalued for years. Intel stock is indeed comparatively overvalued, especially now. Intel sat for most of the last decade milking its monopoly on high-end x86 for all it was worth, not concentrating on R&D and shipping no new architecture products (or using better, newer production nodes!) because Intel management rather stupidly decided that it had no competition and could milk undisturbed forever. No pressure at all--nothing but the perpetual gravy train. So while Intel was doing nothing but milking, patting itself on the back, AMD was burning the midnight oil and working its figurative tail off to catch and to exceed Intel, with a fraction of the resources, and AMD has done so in every single market segment, bar none. The game is AMD's to lose, now--and Intel's to win. Intel has been oblivious--it's what happens when bean-counters run a chip company instead of engineers, imo. Good for AMD. Well deserved, many times over.

mikeysg and bobblunderton like this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got a chance to buy some AMD stocks when Hector Ruiz was still CEO. Missed that opportunity, now I'm kicking myself for it.

16. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Prior to Ryzen AMD was only 2 bucks a share...

17. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll drop down again and you'll have several years to buy them at a low price to prepare yourself for that day when they rival Intel for one more brief, shining moment, relatively speaking.

DannyD likes this.
  18. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    The direct comparison of single share price in the headline "A share of AMD is now More Expensive Than [a share of] Intel", while factually correct, is one of these things that only serve to confuse those who are very inexperienced.

They do not have the same number of shares, so what is the point of comparing the price of a share between different companies?
    Trend, sure... market cap (all shares), sure... but this comparison seems like one that really is quite pointless and will only risk confusing people?

JamesSneed and mbk1969 like this.
  19. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Knowing what we know now, yeah we all would've liked to but at the time there was no good reason to do so. Currently AMD has 5 solid years of steady growth across the board. There is far more reason to buy in the past 2 years than there ever was back then. The time to buy is when a company proves its worth your money. I wouldn't beat yourself up for making the safe call.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    To do this rudimentary comparison you have to divide AMD's stock by a little over 4 if you want to compare as Intel has about 4.5 billion and AMD has about 1.1 billion shares outstanding.

Intel got fat and lazy due to no competition. With that said they are a world class competitor they will right this ship eventually. I'm just glad Intel chose this time to falter, right as AMD is kicking into high gear. Hopefully AMD can get a large amount of market share in laptop, desktop and servers.