AMD Confirms It Will Launch Zen 3 This Year - We Haven't Seen the Best From AMD Just yet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2020.

1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Impressive, what's the cpu score on timespy?

2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
  3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Um, so the use of the term client means server stuff like Epyc? That normally goes first, doesn't it? So Zen 3 on the desktop is perhaps unlikely this year. Maybe. Dunno!

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe not but that´s not a problem as long as they can stay close enough to Intel. I´m mildly curious about Zen 3 although i´m trying to hold on until Zen 4.

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Your are an anomaly who posts your ridiculous charts all all over the place. Your are less than a 1% user.
    For the vast majority your charts me nothing other than "good for you".

Try and understand that most are talking about normal users.

7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    This forum WAS an enthusiast forum, and now it's just "normal" users left?

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well, a CPU you cannot manufacture is no CPU at all...;) About the best you can say for that is to call it vaporware, imo.

I think that so far the market verdict on AMD vs. Intel is convincingly in favor of the AMD products. Although it's been far too long in coming, I note that the other day the AMD share price finally exceeded Intel's. Intel's past good will is expiring rapidly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. Danny T

Danny T Guest

GPU:
    Seeing the rather poor reception of the XT refresh, I think AMD will (try to) go for a proper launch sooner than later.
    And yes, some are saying pricing could go higher vs what we've seen till the 3000 series...but that would be 'a la Intel' who dictated for over a decade.

While on the subject..I was personally considering a desktop Renoir to tie me over the initial back and forth between Navi2 and Ampere, but I'm most probably be going to throw out the window 30 bucks for a 'new' videocard in order not to end up with a weak cpu when that time comes.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    AMD is never going to be able to hit anywhere near that kind of latency, as long as the memory controller is located off die. Intel's monolithic style architecture is about as optimal for reducing latency as you can get. Even my 6900K at 4.2ghz with DDR4 3400 can hit in the low 50s for memory latency.

But that HUGE unified L3 cache and smart prefetchers means that Zen 3 won't have to take as many trips to main memory as an equivalent Intel CPU, so they will definitely gain some ground when combined with a solid IPC increase.

Also another factor to consider is that a large amount of AAA games are being designed with DX12 or Vulkan these days, which reduces the reliance on single threaded low latency performance due to the engine being more parallelized.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Here's a good example of how increased parallelization with APIs like DX12/Vulkan makes single threaded and low latency performance less important. The 3900x is actually ahead of the 10900K here:

[​IMG]

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This time around?

Every APU released has been then next generational naming with previous generation technology.

3000 series APUs are zen+, etc.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be this way, because it is surely confusing, but i don't understand what you mean by "this time around"

13. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    The first part of your message is wrong.
    Intel do have problems with their architecture, in fact, their whole architecture is broken.
    Intel is struggling with numerous, serious security vulnerabilities from which their whole brand is affected.
    And before you say, that you have to be physically connected to the PC to exploit these vulnerabilities: no you don't anymore. This is required only for Spectre and some vatiants of Meltdown. But there is more vulnerabilities by now that can be exploited through backdoors and malware already. (MDS, Foreshadow, ZombieLoad etc. just to name a few)

AMD did manage to fix all the known vulnerabilities on hardware basis with their ZEN2 Architecture, and they were even able to make !full! software fixes for previous generations.
    Intel did roll out !some! software fixes to !some! types of Spectre, yet Spectre is still a threat, not to mention the other dozens of vulnerabilities that Intel can't even fix !due to! the fact that their architecture design isn't capable of fixing those problems on hardware AND software level.

The only way for intel is to make a whole new design to roll out. But they aren't ready yet as you said. And this won't change for quite a while (years to come probably).

By then however, I think AMD will have much better improvements with their ZEN4 architecture and above.

In particular with my explanation from my quote from above, I think Intel's "new" architecture won't be able to beat AMD that easily.
    Considering the fact that AMD actually was only affected by Meltdown/LVI vulnerabilities, which they managed to fully fix, Intel's new architecture should aim to fix way more vulnerabilities than AMD ever had to, while many of these are affecting performance.

If say, Intel were able to fix it with current generation, then you could expect - round about - at the very least 10-15% performance loss compared to AMD's ZEN2
    (that's just my personal guess, considering the way how the vulnerability like Spectre and Meltdown actually work).
    So at some points, Intel manages a better score in single core performance mode because they have so many open doors to insecurely access the CPU workloads, which is not good but a big disaster.
    Also on long term usage, intel currently has much higher TDP, which you should also consider as an issue, because intel is not just more expensive to buy, they're also more expensive to maintain over time.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Fair enough, I wasn't very clear on that:
    This isn't the first or even the second time people have questioned if Zen3 will make it to socket AM4, hence the first sentence of the article saying "fifth time this year [is] confirming that Zen3 is launching this year". So, my point was saying that the reason this time people are questioning if Zen3 will be available is because AMD is releasing Zen2 products on the 4000 series, which is confusing people who don't know that APUs and mobile CPUs "skip a generation".
    Does that make more sense?
    So if AMD's product naming wasn't so confusing, they wouldn't have to yet again reassure people that yes, Zen3 is being released this year on AM4 [EDIT] and that the 4000 series isn't going to be a wholly Zen2 rebrand.

Aura89 likes this.
  15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No it's not when both are overclocked ;)
    In this test 10900k is nerfed to the max....
    Try 10900k @ 5300mhz +, 5000mhz cache and 4400mhz memory.

Nice try, but try harder next time :D

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    While you're correct that a tweaked 10900K would beat the 3900x, the context of my point still stands. 3900x with partitioned L3 cache, off die memory controller, chiplet based architecture and lower clock speed than the 10900K with its monolithic architecture, integrated memory controller and unified L3 still managed to edge what is currently the fastest stock gaming CPU.

This is thanks to the huge L3 cache of the 3900x, combined with the Decima engine being able to render across multiple threads.

17. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Don't forget moving to an 8-core CCX will remove all the higher latency cross CCX communications. So while I'm with you that AMD wont beat Intel on the latency front I fully expect for CPU's with 8-cores or less to get really close. Close enough the better IPC will end up with AMD having better performance.

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Bend the rules: 10 core 10900k oc 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++ (LOL), is faster than 7nm high tech 12 core 3900x cpu. :p

PS: I have both 3900x and 10900k, and use them for different tasks. Now 10900k is for benchmarking ONLY :D

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    For 8 core CPUs, but what about the 12 and 16 core? Those will likely still use multiple CCXs. Speaking of which, it's quite possible that AMD will only have Zen 3 CPUs with multiples of 8 CCXs, so the lowest SKU would have 8 cores. That's just speculation on my part though. AMD will also hopefully increase the speed of the IF connect for Zen 3.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Right, over 8 cores I expect higher latencies. Of course Intel has a little higher latencies over 10 cores since they switch over to mesh instead of there ring bus but its still much better than AMD's cross CCX latencies. I think this is perfectly fine trade off that allows AMD to offer great gaming 8 core CPU's(or whatever else max single threaded performance is needed) that will hit very high FPS and if you really need more threads you know there will be a little sacrifice due to increased latencies. I think this fits much better in the real world since frankly if you want very high FPS you are looking at a 6-8 core CPU today due to how the thermals play out.